The White Mists of Power

by Kristine Kathryn Rusch

Before Byron, abandoned as a child, can prove his claim to be the long-lost Prince Adric, his father the king is assassinated, and only the mysterious and magical Cache Enos is left to identify him. World Fantasy Award, 1992.

I love fantasy but I loathe derivative fantasy that reads like a reworking of Lord of the Rings. Thankfully this book is nothing like a reworking of Lord of the Rings. This is a fresh and original fantasy, with a delicious twist.

The world is rich and intersting, the characters are well drawn and intriguing. The adventure is fast paced and draws the reader into the book. I loved it - one of my favourite fantasy books. ( )
  sirfurboy | Jul 21, 2009 |
A world of eh. Mediocre story, not all that interesting of characters, and an unexciting finish. ( )
  bluesalamanders | Jul 3, 2009 |
(Amy) I picked this book off our shelves to read because I so enjoyed the author's Hugo-nominated novella. Well, either this was just a phone-it-in book for her, or else she has progressed immensely in the last 15+ years (the latter is probably true even if the former is as well, really), because while I did not dislike this book, it could probably best be described as "inoffensive but boring". Rote, even, perhaps.

I think I should look elsewhere for more of this author.
( http://weblog.siliconcerebrate.com/zenos-library/2008/06/the_white_mists_of_powe... ) ( )
  libraryofus | Sep 18, 2008 |

Kristine Kathryn Ruschprimary authorall editionscalculated
Canty, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

This book survived two distinct stages in my life. In the first stage, Randy and Jeff Thompson provided valuable criticism; Paul Higginbotham and Kevin J. Anderson provided support and good advice. In the second stage, Nina Kiriki Hoffman added her affection and proofreading skills to theirs. But most of all, I could not have done this without the love and understanding of Dean Wesley Smith. Thanks, partner. I promise the next one will be easier.
The wind blew cold off the hills, rustling branches and making the whislte-wood trees moan.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,283,517 books! | Top bar: Always visible