dismiss

Breath of Fire

by Amanda Bouchet

2082293,328 (3.78)6
"I am Catalia Fisa, and I do not break. Deep breath in. Long breath out. The Gods are telling me I'm some sort of new Origin, which apparently means it's my job to give Thalyria a fresh start. Griffin crowned me with the symbols of the three realms. If I'm supposed to be not just a queen but the Queen, I'd better start acting like it." --… (more)

Note
fate mating, unbreakable bond, kind of don't care anymore
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
I have relationship problems with this book. The two main characters; Catalia Fisa and Griffin have a lot of sexual tension but they don't seem to have a lot of conversations going on about them. It left me feeling a little uneasy with them when Griffin wrecked the room around her with a sword and she ran away to her former rooms to escape this anger. I can't blame her. Griffin shaggs his way to forgiveness. It just made me feel uneasy that they really hadn't dealt properly with the problem, just glossed over it.

And that's the problem I had with the story, glossing over the aftereffects of what happens to people. It was readable and I really wanted the characters to succeed. I'm vaguely curious about the conclusion. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Dec 7, 2019 |
“Kato looks ill. “I… It… Me…” He stares at the massive snake. “Big.”
I squeeze his arm. “Don’t worry. You’ll speak in complete sentences again soon.”

I really enjoyed the story and world-building for the first book, and I was excited to jump back into this series. Breath of Fire picks up right where the other book ends, so there isn't a lag or jump to adjust to.

Cat and Griffin have an initial argument that seems bizarre and out-of-nowhere, and he's also a little cruel and abusive, which doesn't seem like the Griffin from A Promise of Fire. He would never hurt Cat, even if he was angry, and now he's banging her head against a wall. It just didn't fit. Overall though, I did enjoy the additional information for Carver, Kato and Flynn. I still wish there had been more, but it was better this time. I also like that there was an entire section that only included Kato and Cat. He's quickly becoming my favorite character!

Piers makes me uncomfortable. I don't like how abrasive he seems to be, or how calculating. He's the bookworm of the family, but I feel like he is planning something awful.

The story is compelling and engaging, so I never wanted to put it down, but there were still quite a few things that irked me. For example, Cat is more than willing to sacrifice herself for her male companions, but she still always seems to end up the Damsel in Distress. She's a strong female character, but then she isn't. Blargh, it's confusing.

Originally posted at Do You Dog-ear? on Saturday, January 6th 2018
  doyoudogear | Oct 10, 2019 |
I finished up Breath of Fire this month and found myself feeling okay about it. We definitely see a lot of dragging through way too many battle scenes. Some things could have been better developed like side romances instead of way overdone fight scenes.

Bouchet really crafted an interesting world here though and at the end of the day keeps me coming back for more with this series. I want to see where Griffin and Cat end up at the end of book three. Hopefully in a good place and not a bad one. Where does their team end up as well. I can't help but be rooting for them all as I read the book. Overall this was a good read, but not amazing. I'm definitely finishing the trilogy though and reading Heart on Fire sooner than later.
Full review on my blog. ( )
  rabidgummibear | Nov 28, 2018 |
Better written, not bad but driven by the need to write up 'quests'. ( )
  libgirl69 | Oct 3, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,913,985 books! | Top bar: Always visible