This Immortal by Roger Zelazny

This Immortal (1966)

by Roger Zelazny

The Earth has been devastated by a nuclear war, and the poor ruined place is being toured by a powerful alien visitor. our point of view character is an unusual Terran who in the long run will be able to give the damaged world a better chance for a future. Not his best work, but unusual resonances for non-Americans. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Apr 3, 2019 |
Conrad Nimikos, Earth’s Minister of Culture, Arts and Monuments, has been assigned to play tour guide to blue-skinned Vegan, Cort Myshtigo. The Three-Day War, a nuclear event, has left most of the Earth destroyed by radiation, and the Vegan occupation hasn’t helped much either. Myshtigo seems intrigued by Conrad’s identity and apparent immortality – is he the god Pan, some other superhuman, or just a human affected by nuclear radiation? And why is Myshtigo actually touring Earth – to write a tour book or is there another nefarious reason?

Let me state right away that I enjoy Zelazny’s work – The Chronicles of Amber series was imaginative and engaging, and the Millenial series co-written with Robert Sheckley was hilarious. I wanted to like This Immortal, and I didn’t dislike it, but I didn’t enjoy it the way I thought I might. Perhaps it was because I listened to the audiobook version, as I found my thoughts drifting away from the book. It seemed like there were loads of characters introduced quickly, and that certainly would have been better in print where I could leaf back through the book to recall who was whom.

This Immortal shared the 1966 Hugo with Frank Herbert’s Dune, which seems to have weathered the years much better than Zelazny’s work. Zelazny was considered a modern sci-fi writer in his time, but from a 50-year distance, the book now seems very dated. ( )
  rretzler | Jan 18, 2019 |
This is a tough one. Zelazny is a good writer and this is an award winning book. Mostly I enjoyed it. Some parts are brilliant SF/Fantasy which takes us into another world and world view. Some of the dialogue is superb. The Greek myth aspect, that is a big feature of the story, is also the part that I pushed to the back of my mind to get on with the plot. Was our hero a god and what does that mean? He was certainly super human.

I keep thinking the next chapter would be the gods looking down and discussing how our hero was doing. I'm still waiting for an arrow to the heel or the release of the Kracken. ( )
  ikeman100 | May 13, 2017 |
Hilarious. And sometimes heartbreaking. Kalikanzaroi and extraterrestrials. Who but Zelazny could have written it? ( )
  CarolJMO | Dec 12, 2016 |
It shared the Hugo with Dune the year it came out. While it was an entertaining book (I think it was Zelazny's first novel), it is NOT as good as Dune. Sorry. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |

Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Powers, Richard M.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Silverberg, RobertIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Ben Jenson
"You are a Kallikanzaros," she announced suddenly.

Conrad Nomikos has a long, rich personal history that he'd rather not talk about. He has also been given a job that he'd rather not do. Escorting an alien grandee on a guided tour around the shattered remains of Earth after a catastrophic nuclear war is not something he relishes. Especially when it it rapidly becomes clear that he is at the centre of high-level intrigue that could determine the future of Earth itself. But Conrad Nomikos is a very special guy and he's been around - for a very long time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:03 -0400)

Conrad Nomikos has a long, rich personal history that he'd rather not talk about. And, as arts commissioner, he's been given a job he'd rather not do. Escorting an alien grandee on a guided tour of the shattered remains of Earth is not something he relishes, especially since it is apparent that this places him at the center of high-level intrigue that has some bearing on the future of Earth itself. But Conrad is a very special guy.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,717,432 books! | Top bar: Always visible