Owls in the Family (1961)

by Farley Mowat

Other authors: Robert Frankenberg (Illustrator)

1,3332010,434 (4.12)39
Every child needs to have a pet. No one could argue with that.   But what happens when your pet is an owl, and your owl is terrorizing the neighbourhood?   In Farley Mowat's exciting children's story, a young boy's pet menagerie--which includes crows, magpies, gophers and a dog--grows out of control with the addition of two cantankerous pet owls. The story of how Wol and Weeps turn the whole town upside down s warm, funny, and bursting with adventure and suspense.… (more)

A must-read for all families!

If you or someone you know loves animal stories, I’d highly recommend that you check this book out! It’s been a favorite of mine for a long time, and when I recently re-read it, I remembered just how much of a favorite it is for me.

Billy and his friends love animals, and when they decide to get owls for pets, they don’t expect to have as many as they end up with! The owls they do end up with are quite the characters. You won’t want to miss the story of Wol and Mutt! That is quite possibly my most favorite part of the story, but there are funny bits all the way through. A highly recommended story, overall. I really enjoyed it! ( )
  EstherFilbrun | Jan 21, 2021 |
3.75 stars

Billy has a collection of animals as pets, including gophers, snakes, rats… He and a couple of friends decide they want an owl, so go looking to steal one from a nest, but instead find an injured baby owl and bring him home. They later come across a second injured one, and bring him home for company for Wol, the first owl. The two owls are very different in personality, but they both seem to not realize they are owls who can fly and do other things owls can do.

This was so short; I wish it had been longer. I felt terrible when I thought Billy was going to bring home an owl by stealing it out of a nest! There were plenty of humourous stories about Wol and Weeps. I am curious if Mowat actually had owls as pets. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 16, 2019 |

Farley Mowatprimary authorall editionscalculated
Frankenberg, RobertIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Sandy and David who had an owl in their family too
One May morning my friend Bruce and I went for a hike on the prairie.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,003,109 books! | Top bar: Always visible