Owls in the Family by Farley Mowat

Owls in the Family (1961)

by Farley Mowat

Other authors: Robert Frankenberg (Illustrator)

1,1351911,212 (4.07)37
The story of two owls named Wol and Weeps who live with a family in Canada.

3.75 stars

Billy has a collection of animals as pets, including gophers, snakes, rats… He and a couple of friends decide they want an owl, so go looking to steal one from a nest, but instead find an injured baby owl and bring him home. They later come across a second injured one, and bring him home for company for Wol, the first owl. The two owls are very different in personality, but they both seem to not realize they are owls who can fly and do other things owls can do.

This was so short; I wish it had been longer. I felt terrible when I thought Billy was going to bring home an owl by stealing it out of a nest! There were plenty of humourous stories about Wol and Weeps. I am curious if Mowat actually had owls as pets. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 16, 2019 |
What a delightful and funny read aloud. Charming story loosely based on the author's own experiences finding and raising two owls that terrorize the neighborhood. Mom, Dad and all the children will enjoy this one!
  wunderlong88 | Sep 12, 2018 |
unusual but great for children and adults who remember those days ( )
  frahealee | Dec 3, 2017 |
Funniest book tells the adventures of Wol and Weeps, two owls from Saskatchewan who shake up the whole neighborhood, turn a house topsy-turvy, and outsmart Mutt, the dog hero of The Dog Who Wouldn't be.
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
Summary:
“Owls in the Family” tells of two owls by the names of Wol and Wheeps. These two owls cause quite a commotion in their neighborhood. A little boy by the name of Billy comes in and saves the day when he brings the bird’s home and makes they part of his family.
Personal Reaction:
Being an animal lover, I enjoyed this book. The humor with the owls and how they handle the situations they encountered kept me wanting more by the end of every page.
Extensions:
1. Ask the children to draw an owl
2. Have the children write some fun facts they know about owls
  caitlynf | Mar 26, 2017 |

Farley Mowatprimary authorall editionscalculated
Frankenberg, RobertIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Sandy and David who had an owl in their family too
One May morning my friend Bruce and I went for a hike on the prairie.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,918,613 books! | Top bar: Always visible