The Elephant in the Room [Kindle]

by Jon Ronson

'But Hillary is a known Luciferian, ' he tried. 'She's not a known Luciferian, ' I said. 'Well, yes and no, ' he said. In The Elephant in the Room, Jon Ronson, the New York Times best-selling author of The Psychopath Test, Them and So You've Been Publicly Shamed, travels to Cleveland at the height of summer to witness the Republican National Convention. Along the way he reunites with an old acquaintance - the influential provocateur and conspiracy talk-show host Alex Jones - who draws him, unexpectedly, into one of the most bizarre presidential campaigns in American history. From the private Winnebago where conspiracy theorists and fearmongers discuss key campaign decisions to a chance encounter with notorious political operative Roger Stone, Ronson's picaresque journey into Donald Trump's atmosphere introduces us to the people who orbit the campaign machine and discovers what makes them tick - and what ticks them off. Whimsical, hilarious and often downright terrifying, The Elephant in the Room captures a defining moment in our time as only Jon Ronson could see it.… (more)

Predictably it expired after the election. The irony of the last paragraph appears to be intentional. ( )
  Paul_S | Dec 23, 2020 |
Elephant In The Room: A Journey Into The Trump Campaign & The 'Alt-Right'
by Jon Ronson
2016
audio
4.0 / 5.0

Ronson shares his travels to Cleveland, to attend the Republican National Convention, as a spectator and reporter. He runs into an old friend, Alex Jones, a conspiracy theorist host of a talk-show. He engages Ronson into discussing this presidential campaign, having a chance run in with Roger Stone while there.
Ronson's short book is as funny as it is frightening. A book that captures a defining moment in American history.
Worth a listen. ( )
  over.the.edge | Dec 16, 2020 |
A bit of a rehash of his previous book "Them", updated for the Trump era. ( )
  glenncvance | Aug 26, 2020 |
I love Ronson’s work and his journalistic style, but this piece felt hurriedly slapped together: a collection of observations loosely tied together by Ronson’s friendship with Alex Jones. Overall, this piece lacked a thesis and was devoid of Ronson’s usual wit. ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
I read this in January, before our 45th president was inaugurated. This is not a partisan statement; when I teach American government, I am critical of both parties and the role of lobbyists, the influence of money, and the revolving door that exists in modern America. It is what James Madison warned against - the factions.

This was well researched and documents some head-scratching events. Is it going to be a popular view? Probably not. But it was interesting, at least to this reader. ( )
  ptkpepe98 | Mar 19, 2018 |
The TVs at the Equinox were showing a Donald Trump rally.
But maybe there was no sense to be found. Maybe his words were empty, his contradictions meaningless: It was just his personality, and there was nothing going on underneath.
In previous election campaigns, there was a clear delineation between the serious main event and the reckless fringe, but not in this one.
When a person can’t make a speech about the struggles of avocado farmers without being torn to bits because they’re in the wrong camp, the right will inevitably benefit.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,329,760 books! | Top bar: Always visible