The Complete Book of Sewing

by DK

The ultimate sewing guide for all skill levels, from basic seamstress to the aspiring Vivienne Westwood. Detailed photographs cover every sewing technique from sewing a basic hem to creating a couture look-alike. Inspiring step-by-step guide for any sewing enthusiast who wants to create, alter and repair his or her clothes in style.… (more)

There is a ton of information in here and plenty of photographs of step-by-step techniques. There's some good general sewing information, but it's primarily a how-to book. I'll definitely be referring to this as I keep going- I think it will help me actually learn techniques instead of winging everything. ( )
  the1butterfly | May 6, 2010 |
This is one of my favorite sewing reference books. Everything is very clear, in color photos, and there are many, many techniques pictured. I have been sewing for about ten years, and am finishing my B.S. degree in Textiles and Apparel, and I still use this book on a regular basis (along with Claire Shaeffer's Couture Sewing Techniques and a couple of others). There are lots of great sewing reference books out there, but this one is most thorough in covering a wide range of skill levels in detail. ( )
  charitysuzanne | Jun 18, 2009 |
I do not know other books to compare this one to. I have not learned to sew yet, but I have long intended to (would be very Gandhiite to mend old clothing). This book appears to have a good deal of detail, most of it in delicious photography. I scanned a few pages for those who are interested... ( )
  Anseynol | Oct 10, 2006 |
Well set out, well illustrated guide. If only i actually got a chance to use it, rather than looking at it wistfully on the shelves wishing i would get around to sewing...i bought a copy and was then given another one as a gift. ( )
  ForrestFamily | Mar 24, 2006 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,890,304 books! | Top bar: Always visible