Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing by…

Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing (1976)

by Editors of Readers Digest

Very helpful for the new sewer! ( )
  Jandrew74 | May 26, 2019 |
Combines sewing fundamentals with up-to-date coverage of the latest equipment and advice on how to set up an effective sewing center, choose fabrics, and produce professional-looking clothes and household items. Denise liked it so much that she bought her own copy.
  ASDP_Colorado | Oct 19, 2016 |
I love this guide! I'm a novice sewer who *just* got a machine. This book helped me to learn the basics of garment construction and some very useful hand-stitches for the heady days when I didn't have my machine. I know I will keep going back to this time and again as I continue to learn this craft. ( )
  lizzybeans11 | Apr 7, 2011 |
Part of my permanent collection, used a reference and located in the craft room.
  sunfi | Nov 12, 2008 |
'The New Complete Guide to Sewing' includes an absolutely amazing amount of detail meant to get you from rank beginner through finely tailored clothing, and honestly I expect this book to still be useful to me in ten years from now. It's jam-packed with diagrams, color photos, and plenty of highly-detailed and very clear instructions.

Hand-sewing tips are included, as well as instructions for using the 'essential' hand stitches. This includes full-page instructions in most cases, with multiple diagrams. Each diagram comes with both an easy-to-understand explanation and a set of step-by-step detailed instructions. Essential stitches include everything from tailor's tacks to basting, backstitching, hemming & joining (slipstitch, cross-stitch, overhand, whipstitch, etc.), finishing stitches, decorative stitches, and so on. In particular I appreciate that the explanation included with each stitch details exactly what that stitch tends to be used for and why.

One of my favorite details throughout the book is the extensive cross-referencing. For example, the page that details and diagrams overedge seams provides page references to the overlock machine on page 15, zigzag stitching on page 83, and overlock stitching on p. 83. You won't have to go nuts trying to locate all the information you need.

This book can start you out as a beginner and still be useful to you ten years later. It covers everything from basic stitches to fabric types to advanced tailoring techniques, in a ton of detail with precise directions and diagrams.

For a longer version of this review with more detailed content information, visit Errant Dreams. ( )
1 vote errantdreams | Aug 6, 2008 |

Sewing in depth from mending, fixing buttons and doing hems to making garments from scratch. Chapters include: The Necessities of Sewing; Patterns, Fabrics and Cutting; Portfolio of Fitting Methods; Construction Basics; Necklines and Collars; Waistlines, Waistbands and Belts; Sleeves and Sleeve Finishes; Making and Applying Pockets; Hems and Other Finishes; Handbook of Closures Techniques of Tailoring; Sewing for Men and Children; Sewing for the Home; Sewing Projects.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:43 -0400)

Covers tools, patterns, fitting methods, sewing basics, tailoring techniques, sewing for the home, and sewing projects.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,362,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible