The Dark Flight Down by Marcus Sedgwick

The Dark Flight Down (2005)

by Marcus Sedgwick

On an errand for Kepler, his new master, Boy is captured and imprisoned in the palace dungeon, where he plots his escape from the evil Maxim and the lunatic King Frederick but also learns a disturbing secret about his father.

I wouldn't recommend this to my friends, not because I was disappointed, but because this isn't the kind of book my friends would find interesting. If I had a friend who was interested in this kind of subject, I'd definitely recommend it to the because Boy goes through a bunch of life changes that really get you to start thinking. 3Q3P The cover art is okay and I'd recommend this for high school and middle school students. I chose to read this book because my teacher passed out random books for an activity one day and when I got this I read the back and thought it sounded interesting. AliciaH
  edspicer | Jul 4, 2014 |
The sequel to "The Book of Dead Days." This one isn't entirely as good as its predecessor, but it is still definitely more than worth reading.
Great plot, strong and distinct characters, and a thrilling climax. The ending is unexpected and exciting.
I always love dark, Gothic books, and was hoping that this one wouldn't try to lighten up how dark "The Book of Dead Days" was. I wasn't disappointed. This eerie story is complete with dark dungeons, midnight excursions, a sadistic King, murders, and even a Phantom.
Very good book. ( )
  joririchardson | Jan 25, 2010 |
I don’t think this one quite reached the heights of the previous volume, the storyline was not as gripping, and I felt the characters of the Emperor and Maxim, were a little too stereotypical. However, Sedgwick still conjures a satisfying and wonderfully dark and Gothic atmosphere to wrap his tale in. Perfect reading for a chilly winters night.

Read and comment on my full review at:
http://www.bartsbookshelf.co.uk/2009/01/20/the-dark-flight-down-by-marcus-sedgwi... ( )
  bart154ce | Jan 20, 2009 |
Pretty good ( )
  ethelmertz | Jun 9, 2007 |
Second book. Boy has been taken in by Kepler and Willow has been sent to an orphange. When Boy goes back to Valerian's house to get a telescope lens, he is kidnapped by the palace guards as the Emperor is on a quest from immortallity and Valerian was rumoured to have THE Book that could grant it. Meanwhile, some "thing" is haunting the streets of the City, killing and draining the blood of the inhabitants. At the palace, Boy speaks the truth in the audience and shows the King how a trick is done- thus winning the King's favour and the ire of his priest. Eventually the right-hand man tells the Court about who lives at the botttom of the Dark Flight of Stairs. (It is the King's only son and HE is the monster that has been attacking the City residents at night.) Boy also learns the truth about his origins but in the end chooses Willow over a life of luxury. A dark fairytale. ( )
  nicsreads | Apr 2, 2007 |

AR 4.9, 7 Pts

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,866,068 books! | Top bar: Always visible