Ninth House

by Leigh Bardugo

Series: Alex Stern (1)

Galaxy 'Alex' Stern is the most unlikely member of Yale's freshman class. Raised in the Los Angeles hinterlands by a hippie mom, Alex dropped out of school early and into a world of shady drug dealer boyfriends, dead-end jobs, and much, much worse. By age twenty, she is the sole survivor of a horrific, unsolved multiple homicide. Some might say she's thrown her life away. But at her hospital bed, Alex is offered a second chance: to attend one of the world's most elite universities on a full ride. What's the catch, and why her?Still searching for answers, Alex arrives in New Haven tasked by her mysterious benefactors with monitoring the activities of Yale's secret societies, well-known to be haunts of the future rich and powerful. But their occult activities are revealed to be more sinister and more extraordinary than she ever imagined . . .… (more)
    Legendborn by Tracy Deonn (Aquila)
    Aquila: Pairing these because they both are about magic hidden in secret societies on old college campuses, I like what Tracey Deonn does with that a lot more.

English (118)  Dutch (1)  All languages (119)
Alex (Galaxy) can see ghosts, which makes her perfect for Lethe House at Yale. Lethe oversees and helps contain the magic from the other 8 magical "Houses". But otherwise, she's not a fit for Yale at all - drug-addicted, tattoo-covered juvenile delinquent, Alex has a lot of secrets to keep.

Alex gets caught up in several murder mysteries. One murder is current with a bunch of potential suspects, and the other murder is from 100 years ago brought to her by a ghost. And the person who is supposed to be teaching her how to deal with all of this has disappeared under suspicious circumstances.

This is called a horror story, but reads more like a mystery/thriller. And even though it's categorized as not YA, it really felt like a YA book to me. There is a clear distinction between the "kids" and the "adults", all the adults are clueless or bumbling or untrustworthy, each of the main "kid" character's parents are invoked during the course of the story, a disproportionate and not believable amount of responsibility is placed on the shoulders of the "kids" and yet no adult takes these same "kids" seriously.
  sriddell | Aug 6, 2022 |
I loved this book. I thought it was incredibly unique and adored the dark academia setting.
I really enjoyed the cast of characters and Alex was the dark bad ass queen of it all. I had really hoped to see more of Darlington within this book but it makes me even more excited for the sequel to see what comes next after that cliff hanger of an ending!
On the downside the book was rather confusing especially in the beginning. It was hard to keep all of the different Houses of the Veil straight. The pacing was also a bit slow especially in the first 100 pages or so but it picked up and had enough intrigue to keep me wanting to read further. ( )
  Oblivionsdream | Jul 18, 2022 |
My first Leigh Bardugo book and damn it was so goooood. ( )
  AceVonS | Jul 14, 2022 |
Loved this book! At first I was little frustrated with the main character seeming apathy and lack of interest in the world around her but as the story progressed and I started to see her past and she starts 'shedding her fake skin' so to speak I liked her a lot more. She is very relatable and some of the scenarios that pop up are real things that happen in the world and I am glad the author didn't shy away from writing it. It had a nice little plot twist at the end that opens the book up to a sequel that I will absolutely read as soon as it comes out. ( )
  awesomejen2 | Jun 21, 2022 |
Suffers from the romanticization of college life that many, many similar novels do. We would never tolerate a novel that, say romanticized marriage or childhood to this degree. But colleges are apparently still magic, in spite of their rather humble, drab, stupid, bathetic, victimizing reality.

But so be that. I wish young writers would stop setting novels a thinly-veiled version of Hogwarts U, but . . .

Otherwise, pretty damn good. The main character is appropriately inscrutable and difficult. The scenario is . . . fantastic, but this is a fantasy novel. And is is fairly well carried out.

And there is a . . . freshness? Something about Bardugo's approach here that feels like something that not just paint-by-numbers. I'll read another, and I have high hopes it'll be damn good. ( )
  ehines | Jun 19, 2022 |
Ninth House, by Leigh Bardugo, is a good read for fans of the academia, secrets, and murder in The Secret History, Although where The Secret History skirts into horror to discuss morality of murder and the classical mysteries, Ninth House is more about the privilege powering secret societies. And, instead of just hinting at dark, ancient rituals offstage, Ninth House goes right in.

Leigh Bardugoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Axtel, Michael DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fortgang, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Graphic CompressorCover imagesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hayes, KeithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

By the time Alex managed to get the blood out of her good wool coat, it was too warm to wear it.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,741,879 books! | Top bar: Always visible