A Talent for Murder by Andrew Wilson

A Talent for Murder

by Andrew Wilson

Discover the real-life mystery centered on the queen of crime herself. In this tantalizing new novel, Andrew Wilson ingeniously explores Agatha Christie's odd ten-day disappearance in 1926 and weaves an utterly compelling and convincing story around this still unsolved mystery involving the world's bestselling novelist.… (more)

I liked the idea more than I liked the story, to be honest. I found it a bit too far-fetched and I struggled with the book quite badly, took me several days to finish it since I didn't find the book that compelling to read, which meant reading a couple of chapters now and then, and letting other more interesting books come before this one. The whole blackmailing into committing a murder was, to be honest, a bit ridiculous especially since the "mastermind" wasn't especially scary, and the conclusion? Bah!

2 stars since I actually did manage to finish it and the beginning of the book was promising. ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
I so wanted to enjoy this book more... I'm a massive fan of Agatha Christie's works and the whole Golden Age genre, so I was intrigued to see what Andrew Wilson would do with making Ms Christie a character in her own right. But I was disappointed. I just didn't believe in the character - I found she was too passive, a bit simpering and prone to crying. When she did decide to act it was, frankly, pretty preposterous and the plot was generally unbelievable. The central 'villain' was two-dimensional and, again, I just didn't believe in the motivation behind his actions. Nor did I feel that the 1920s setting was convincing, other than a few references here and there. I won't go on because I really dislike giving a bad review. I felt the book was OK, that was all. Clearly lots of research behind it - but the book seemed too keen to show this off at times. I see there's the next book in the series come out now - I will give that a try and see if second time's a charm :) ( )
  Alan.M | Apr 16, 2019 |
In 1926 Agatha Christie went missing for a few days, a massive police hunt followed to find the celebrated authoress, and Agatha was eventually discovered at a hotel in Harrogate. She said she had lost her memory & refused to discuss the incident.

Around these facts Andrew Wilson has woven a preposterous story of blackmail & murder. Entertaining, with nice period detail, if a little slow in places.

Thank you Net Galley for this free copy in return for an honest review. ( )
  LARA335 | Dec 29, 2018 |
This story is about Agatha Christie and her mysterious disappearance in 1926, but somehow this story did not grab me right. The villain tries to create a Christie-style murder, but misses the lightness that comes with crimes. The story seems to me to be incongruous and in fact the handwriting of the great mystery writer is missing. ( )
  Ameise1 | Dec 26, 2018 |
Andrew Wilson has written biographies about Alexander McQueen, Sylvia Plath, and Patricia Highsmith. Now he's taken on the Queen of Mystery: Agatha Christie. While this book is indeed fiction, Wilson uses the famous mystery that has surrounded the author since she disappeared for ten days in the winter of 1926. From the little-known details that exist around that time period, Andrew Wilson has woven a tale of intrigue and murder.

The book begins with Agatha Christie waiting to board a train to meed her agent. She feels someone push her toward the rails then pull her back to safety. But the person who saves her isn't her savior, it's a blackmailer. From the get-go Christie knows this man isn't to be trusted, but he threatens to not only expose her husband's scandalous affair to the world, but also to harm her daughter.

Christie must use her knowledge of crime to try to get out of the clutches of her blackmailer before any harm can come to her family. This novel takes place during the ten days unaccounted for in 1926 when Christie's whereabouts were unknown and shadows of what could have happened are open to the imagination.

I knew I had to read A Talent for Murder after reading the summary. The idea that Agatha Christie, who wrote such mysteries better than most, could be caught up in something as fantastic as one of her own plots. I found myself drawn into this book just like a Christie novel. I found the characters complex, the plot intriguing, and the circumstances in which the events took place completely imaginative. A Talent for Murder is a must for mystery lovers. It will keep you guessing!

Read more at http://www.toreadornottoread.net/2018/03/review-talent-for-murder.html#s2Wwpuby4... ( )
  mt256 | Mar 6, 2018 |
For fans of Agatha Christie everywhere

and one in particular
Wherever I turned my head I thought I saw her, a woman people described as striking, beautiful even.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,832,115 books! | Top bar: Always visible