Pegasus in Flight by Anne McCaffrey

Pegasus in Flight

by Anne McCaffrey

Series: The Talents (2), The Talents Universe (2)

1,642None4,404 (3.87)10
Anne McCaffrey (8) ebook (12) ESP (7) fantasy (97) fiction (131) hardcover (16) McCaffrey (17) novel (9) own (13) paperback (16) paranormal (9) Pegasus (30) pegasus series (7) psi (17) psionics (7) psychic (16) psychic powers (16) read (29) science fiction (363) series (18) sf (47) sff (45) speculative fiction (8) talent (20) Talent Series (25) talents (52) telekinesis (11) telepaths (8) telepathy (29) The Talents (7)

The Wings of Pegasus by Anne McCaffrey (1990)
  whitespiraldancer | Sep 14, 2013 |
Taking place about 80 yrs after 'To Ride Pegasus' Rhyssa Owen, granddaughter of Daffyd op Owen, is now the Director of the Center for Parapsychic Talents on the North American East Coast. Along with many descendants of the original members, Rhyssa is under extreme pressure to provide kinetics to complete the Padrugoi Space Platform. Without the kinetics the space platform construction is falling behind schedule. With Earth’s population already straining its resources to the limit the space platform needs to be completed on time in order to use it for a jumping point for colony ships to be sent off to habitable planets. But that’s not the only problem the Director has to deal with.

Rhyssa is being visited in her sleep by someone who can travel out of body. She can’t get enough of who or where he is to pinpoint his location, so they have to search for him. Someone that powerful needs to be under the protection of the center and he needs to be trained in his Talent, whichever Talent that may be. When they finally find 14-yr-old Peter Reidinger in a hospital, paralyzed from the waist down as the result of an accident and realize he’s been boosting his kinetic talent with electricity they are staggered by the thought of his potential.

In another part of the city Tirla is a 12-yr-old girl living in Residential Linear G. Her parents are dead, but she makes a decent living serving the many different ethnic groups in her linear never realizing that her knack for survival and speaking many languages is actually Talent. When the Center and Law Enforcement and Order try to crack down on a child kidnapping ring in Linear G they discover Tirla and her unusual Talent. Coaxing her to the Center she thrives along with Peter. Then the unthinkable happens. Both Tirla and Peter get kidnapped and everyone rushes to find them before it’s too late.

After discovering this series back in 1990 I couldn’t read them fast enough. I had them in my hot little hands as soon as they were published. I like that this book picks up a few generations after 'To Ride Pegasus' because we can see the progress already made while learning the problems this generation of Talents have to deal with. I have to say that I’m glad our world isn’t as crowded as McCaffrey portrayed in this book. Yikes! Those Linears! *shudder*

Well-written with rich characters and a great plot this book is another winner with me. The potential of Peter just boggles the mind and in this book it hasn’t even really been tested yet. Tirla is also another great character with an unusual Talent. It makes me wonder how many more ways Talent will evolve over time. Oh, wait…I’ve already read all the books, so I know. *grins* That doesn’t dim my enjoyment of the re-read. I haven’t read this series in a number of years, so I’m thoroughly enjoying them all over again.

*Book source ~ My home library. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | May 7, 2013 |
I read this many many years ago, probably quite close to it's initial publication date and this actually is the cover I remember from then. The second story of the Parapsychic Talent agency, this deals with the grandaughter of the founder. She's dealing with the demand on psychics from the space platform, and two teenagers who are developing skills in two different directions. They could be pivotal in the future of the world and the colonisation of earth. You can see where later ideas sprang from and how she was working out how things work with her psychics.

I liked this series when I read it before and re-reading didn't diminsh my liking for it. It's about the people involved, and while science may have changed, and the relationships with countries didn't develop how she predicted, much of the human elements remain the same. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Mar 15, 2012 |
My favourite of the pegasus books - the distopia, the rescuing of poor children with talents from the slums, all very good fun. Still, leaves a nasty political taste in my mouth - the talents live in their privileged positions while the rest of society slums it (and they're tax dodgers to boot!) ( )
  atreic | Jun 27, 2011 |
PEGUSES
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |

Anne McCaffreyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Damon, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jensen, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
They have been at a great feast of languages, and stolen the scraps.
- William Shakespeare
This book is respectfully and gratefully dedicated to
Diana Tyler
and
Diane Pearson
Tirla took a quick look from the alley into the Main Concourse of Residential Linear G, then pulled back instantly, flattening her thin twelve-year-old body against the plas-slab wall.

LOOK MA, .... NO HANDS!

"Look!" The boy raised his right arm, and the big helicopter just outside Rhyssa's bay window rose and hovered there, the huge rotor blades moving idly in the breeze.
"Do be careful with it, Peter," Johnny Green said amiable. "It's government property."
"O'm always careful, Colonel Greene," Peter replied. He returned the vehicle gently to the ground.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345368975, Mass Market Paperback)

As director of the Jerhattan Parapsychic Center, telepath Rhyssa Owen coordinated the job assignments for psychically gifted Talents. And though she had her hands full dealing with the unreasonable demand for kinetics to work on the space platform that would be humankind's stepping-stone to the stars, she was always ready to welcome new Talents to the Center.

Feisty and streetwise, twelve-year-old Tirla used her extraordinary knack for languages to eke out a living in the Linear developments, where the poor struggled to make ends meet and children were conscripted or sold into menial work programs. Young Peter, paralyzed in a freak accident, hoped someday to get into space where zero gravity would enable him to function more easily. Both desperately needed help only other Talents could provide.

With the appearance in her life of one extraordinary man with no measurable Talent at all, Rhyssa suddenly found herself questioning everything she thought she knew about her people. And when two Talented children were discovered to have some very unusual -- and unexpected -- abilities, she realized that she would have to reassess the potential of all Talentkind...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:17 -0400)

Two wayward children seek the help of a group of people with unusual abilities known as the Talents in order to make their lives a bit easier, but in the process begin to discover their own unique talents.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,495,596 books! | Top bar: Always visible