Stir-Fry by Emma Donoghue

Stir-Fry (1994)

by Emma Donoghue

This book was sort of a relationship driven book. But instead of just the characters individually being what the book was about it was also about the dynamics of all sorts of relationships.

There were 3 main characters, Maria, Jael and Ruth. They all share a flat. Maria's a freshman at University while Jael and Ruth are 29 and 24 respectively and at various points in their college careers. And once we meet them (and the secondary characters) the rest of the novel explores the three womens' relationships and how they change over time.

I really liked that the novel got the feeling of freshman students feeling, a young feeling, the first time away from home, freaking out and trying not to let anyone know that you are. Also the dialogue was witty and snappy.

I also like when, like this one, books are about introverts and not just extroverts. Generally introverts in fiction are called weird characters, but here they were just as valid characters as the extroverts.

I think my biggest problem with the book was that I had no idea how to categorize it. Perhaps this is an instance where only 'Literature' works as a category for it.

No matter, it was an interesting book and a very good book. ( )
  DanieXJ | Jul 21, 2014 |
a lovely coming out tale. i just want to read this book over and over. ( )
  bothhands | Sep 16, 2012 |
dialogue is the best part of this book - refreshing, often funny repartee between the main characters. other areas of the book are weaker: plot is meh, there is a great yawning distance between reader and protagonist, there is not much detail to visually or sensually embody the main characters, even as they delight us with their conversational barbs... so, a good effort. not satisfying in the end, but an interesting read. lots of irishisms i'll have to look up later. not quite the coming-out novel i was hoping to read, but interesting. i'd give it two stars, except for the dialogue, which was at times quite amusing. ( )
  lindseynichols | May 15, 2008 |
Despite falling into that bitter-sweet lesbian genre also well inhabited by "Oranges are Not the Only Fruit" I was rather seduced by this novel. Its tale of a rural girl discovering possibilities she had never seen before and the tenderness of falling in love without recognising it is worth reading. I was also impressed by the portrayal of Irish spaces and attitudes and pleased to find the characters were a range of well-fleshed out women with differing interests.
I would have liked a little more humour and a little less loneliness but thats a quibble with the story not the writing.
A recommended read but don't expect excitement or avant-garde style.
1 vote LittleKnife | Dec 16, 2007 |
Coming-of-age novel that relates the story of Maria, a college student in Dublin who answers an ad for an apartment share. Her new roomates Ruth and Jael are lesbians and are hesitant to reveal that to Maria lest she freak out. In time Maria discovers their secret, and in doing so discovers some truths about herself.

This book was sweet. I liked how the author portrayed Maria, and was satisfied with the resolution to the story. I'm happy to get a chance to read the authors first book before her more popular Slammerkin. ( )
1 vote sarradee | Jan 11, 2007 |
Ik draag dit boek op aan
Anne.
'2 ♀ zoeken flatgenote.'

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006017109X, Hardcover)

After coming to Dublin to study at the University, sharing a flat with two eccentric women, and becoming infatuated with a man who turns out to be gay, a teenage Irish girl discovers she is a lesbian. National ad/promo. Tour.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:48 -0400)

An Irish girl's discovery of homosexuality and lesbianism and the effect it has on her. On arriving in Dublin to study at the university, she moves into a flat with two women and catches them kissing. Next, she develops a crush on a student, only to learn he is gay. First novel by the author of Passions Between Women: British Lesbian Culture, 1668-1801.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,174,247 books! | Top bar: Always visible