HomeGroupsTalkExplore

The Lord God Made Them All

by James Herriot

Continues the memoirs of Yorkshire veterinarian James Herriot, as life for Herriot, his wife, and two children gets back to normal after World War II.

English (21)  Spanish (1)  All languages (22)
I’m sorry to say that I’ve come to the end of the All Creatures Great and Small series by James Herriot. I read the books as I found them in used bookstores so out of order. But this book, THE LORD GOD MADE THEM ALL, really is the final book in the series.

Each of the books in this series consists of lovely stories written in first person by a Scottish veterinarian in Yorkshire, England. The time spans from the beginning of his career in the 1930s to this last book in the 1950s and 1960s. Although the stories are fiction, Herriot based them on his own experiences. So, they are largely books about animals, but they are really a series about a country vet.

These books have been around since the 1970s, but they are just as touching now. ( )
  techeditor | Sep 12, 2022 |
I remember my dad giving me these books for a birthday or xmas fairly early on, and I've loved them and returned to them ever since. Just re-listened to the excellent audio book version. _- love the accents, the humor, the wonderful setting, and the compassion to animals. Great storytelling. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
Lovely tales of veterinarian Jim Herriot and his adventures treating animals in WW2 England. Delightful and funny stories if you enjoy historicals and are an animal lover. ( )
  KatKinney | Mar 3, 2022 |
Excellent story teller. ( )
  lynngood2 | Sep 6, 2021 |
As always with James Herriot an excellent collection of stories and anecdotes, including a journey to Russia and another to Istanbul. Good reading.
  David-Block | Aug 21, 2021 |

James Herriotprimary authorall editionscalculated
Timothy, ChristopherNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful,
The Lord God made them all
----------------Cecil Frances Alexander, 1818-1895
TO ZOE
latest beautiful grandchild
When the gate fell on top of me I knew I was really back home.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,941,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible