Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Whole Grains: every day, every way by Lorna…

Whole Grains: every day, every way (2006)

by Lorna Sass

Considering how meat-centric this book is, I think the target audience would do well to get some extra fiber in their diets by way of the whole grains featured in this book! (Seriously, even some of the pancake recipes call for bacon. Gross.)

I was hoping that this cookbook would give me (a vegan) some ideas for incorporating some more whole grains into my white pasta and white rice centered diet. Although I was turned off by a lot of the flesh-centric dishes, I did get a few good ideas from this book. I'm looking forward to trying out some new grains and giving my diet a bit of variety! ( )
  lemontwist | Jan 7, 2012 |
The information about the various grains was very informative, especially the cooking times and procedures, but also the fact that she includes unheard of grains like Job's Tears. I only wish that the book was all vegetarian and that Sass had included botanical information about the grains. ( )
1 vote chaparroc | Jun 7, 2007 |
I love this book. Sass really shows how to integrate whole grains into everyday cooking. She shows you the easy way to keep grains at hand (and tasty). I never knew it could be this easy. ( )
  kaiya |

Thanks to the low-carb movement and the updated USDA food pyramid, we all know we should be eating more whole grains (the “good carbs”). But what exactly are whole grains? And how can we make them not only what we should eat, but what we really want to eat? In Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way, bestselling cookbook author Lorna Sass demystifies whole grains with a thorough grain-by-grain primer followed by more than 150 irresistible recipes.

In this extensive guide to the wide range of fantastic whole grains available–many of which are gluten-free–Sass introduces home cooks to dozens of grains, including amaranth, barley, buckwheat, hominy, popcorn, polenta, Job’s tears, millet, oats, quinoa, brown rice, red rice, black rice, rye, triticale, sorghum, teff, farro, grano, green wheat, kamut, spelt, wheat berries, and wild rice. She shares tips for buying and storing these grains as well as the best and simplest way to cook them.

And then there are the boldly flavored, contemporary recipes that will truly change the way you cook, covering soups, salads, main courses, and side dishes all the way to quick breads, cookies, and desserts, with a groundbreaking section on whole-grain baking outlining tempting, healthy options. Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way will delight carnivores and vegetarians alike with recipes such as Farro Salad with Prosciutto and Asparagus, Masa Harina–Beef Casserole, Posole with Pork and Chipotle, Millet with Gingered Beets and Orange, and Coconut–Black Rice Pudding.
This is the book America has been asking for: the definitive guide that will make it easy and delicious for us to incorporate healthful whole grains into our diets with innovative recipes for every meal of the day.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:42 -0400)

A complete guide to cooking with whole grains for every meal touts the health benefits of a whole-grain diet, along with an array of tempting recipes for appetizers, soups, entrees, side dishes, breakfast foods, desserts, and quick breads.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,497,577 books! | Top bar: Always visible