Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie

Home Fire (2017)

by Kamila Shamsie

English (38)  Dutch (1)  All languages (39)
A page turner, troubling about familiy love and manipulation astonishing end. ( )
  janettewilson | Aug 6, 2018 |
A story that explores the controversial subject of the indoctrination of the ISIS philosophy into a sympathetic yet ultimately misguided populace.

Isma Pasha followed her dream to America leaving behind her elegant sister Aneeka and her vulnerable yet impressionable brother Parvaiz. Eamonn, the son of outspoken Home Secretary Karamat Lone, becomes captivated by the beauty that is Aneeka. Does Aneeka reciprocate this love or is she merely using Eamonn to help rescue her twin brother Parvaiz who has since travelled to Syria but very quickly lives to regret this decision.

There is a nice balance in this novel between the Pasha family whose father Adil, had been a jihadi and had gone to Afghanistan to fight with the Taliban and died for his beliefs, and Home Secretary Karamat Lone a traditionalist and yet a reformer. He loathed those citizens irrespective of beliefs or culture..."who treated the privilege of British citizenship as something that could be betrayed without consequences"...and further..."I hate the Muslims who make people hate Muslims"......

I can understand why Home Fire was the winner of the Women's Prize for fiction 2018 and whilst the first part of this novel was a little reticent and slow to impress the second half presented neatly formulated ideas and beliefs all leading to a very sudden unexpected conclusion. Home Fire is a story of the modern world and shows what happens when the corrupt and misguided prey on the weak and receptive. ( )
  runner56 | Jun 16, 2018 |
I was drawn to this story because it gave a small insight to the plight of muslims living today. This is the story of two families that are changed forever because of the love affair between two members of each family. The story is told from the perspective of 5 different members of the family so you get to know these characters well. The ending was unexpectedand I found the story to get better toward the end. ( )
  janismack | Jun 13, 2018 |
This book made me see subtleties in religion, love, and living with our decisions that I previously had not noticed or acknowledged. ( )
  nheredia05 | Jun 12, 2018 |
First, I'm such a disappointment as an English major. Halfway through the book I read some reviews to learn that this is a retelling of Antigone. Since I have no memory of Antigone even though I think I read it twice and saw it on stage, this knowledge didn't give away any plot except I knew it would be tragic, and that it was.

The story revolves around 2 British families whose parents immigrated from Pakistan. The conflict comes when they cross paths. In one family a young son becomes a jihadist and in the other they are giving up all their roots as much as possible. The first half of the novel is so deeply rooted at the character level while the second half becomes becomes more about the community and their place in a world of turmoil.
I can't give away the ending but I've got questions! If anyone has read it I want to discuss. ( )
  strandbooks | May 31, 2018 |
The ones we love .... are enemies of the state.

- Sophocles, Antigone ( translated by Seamus Heaney)
For Gillian Slovo
Isma was going to miss her flight.

Isma is free. After years of watching out for her younger siblings in the wake of their mother’s death, an invitation from a mentor in America has allowed her to resume a dream long deferred. But she can’t stop worrying about Aneeka, her beautiful, headstrong sister back in London, or their brother, Parvaiz, who’s disappeared in pursuit of his own dream, to prove himself to the dark legacy of the jihadist father he never knew.  When he resurfaces half the globe away, Isma’s worst fears are confirmed.

Then Eamonn enters the sisters’ lives. Son of a powerful political figure, he has his own birthright to live up to—or defy. Is he to be a chance at love? The means of Parvaiz’s salvation? Suddenly, two families’ fates are inextricably, devastatingly entwined, in this searing novel that asks: What sacrifices will we make in the name of love?

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 25 Feb 2017 20:17:15 -0500)

"From an internationally acclaimed novelist, the suspenseful and heartbreaking story of a family ripped apart by secrets and driven to pit love against loyalty, with devastating consequences. Isma is free. After years of watching out for her younger siblings in the wake of their mother's death, an invitation from a mentor in America has allowed her to resume a dream long deferred. But she can't stop worrying about Aneeka, her beautiful, headstrong sister back in London, or their brother, Parvaiz, who's disappeared in pursuit of his own dream, to prove himself to the dark legacy of the jihadist father he never knew. When he resurfaces half the globe away, Isma's worst fears are confirmed. Then Eamonn enters the sisters' lives. Son of a powerful political figure, he has his own birthright to live up to--or defy. Is he to be a chance at love? The means of Parvaiz's salvation? Suddenly, two families' fates are inextricably, devastatingly entwined, in this searing novel that asks: What sacrifices will we make in the name of love?"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,135,352 books! | Top bar: Always visible