The Dam Keeper by Robert Kondo

Sad, disturbingly scary, funny - it's all in this graphic novel. Wonderful pictures that accentuate the great story.

Thank you to the publishers for sending me an ARC through NetGalley. ( )
  JulesGDSide | Nov 29, 2018 |
A little too weird and yet simultaneously pedestrian. In a world where an ebbing and flowing black killer fog is kept at bay by a dam and some big fans, a group of young animals with generic personalities find themselves whisked far, far into the desolate foreshore (it's a real word I just learned today) with only a few days to get home to their protected village. Colorful characters, unexpected detours and strange discoveries lie ahead, which would be fine if the pace and tone weren't so slow and morose. The art might be nice if it weren't so murky and purply most of the time.

Ho-hum. ( )
  villemezbrown | Oct 17, 2018 |
Beautiful and eerie! Not too much happened in this book but enough was placed on the picnic table to get me excited for book two! ( )
  DestDest | Oct 11, 2018 |
Really loved this clever and slyly dark graphic novel for elementary/middle graders. The author and illustrator’s film backgrounds are clear - maybe just a touch too much so - but the pacing and thematic elements are spot on. Ends on a bit of an abrupt note, but cannot wait for volume two. Recommended. ( )
  ThatOneLibrarian | Aug 18, 2018 |
This was the first volume in this well done middle grade fantasy graphic novel series. The illustration is unique and beautiful and the story is engaging. I really enjoyed it and would recommend to those who enjoy beautiful and deliberate fantasy graphic novel.s

The story is about a young pig (named Pig) who keeps the windmills running on the border of Sunrise Valley to push back a deadly black fog. When Pig’s dad ventures into the fog and dies, Pig is left on his own to protect the town. However Pig is very misunderstood at school and only his friend Fox makes things better. When Pig realizes the pattern of the black fog is changing: Pig, Fox, and Hippo end up on an accidental adventure.

I loved the soft and beautiful illustration throughout the story; it’s easy to follow and fun to look at. The story was imaginative and well done as well. I think my only complaint would be that things move a bit slow. My 11 year old son wasn’t a huge fan of this graphic novel; he said it was too creepy and moved to slow.

Overall this was a beautiful and magical story set in a fantasy world of talking animals and deadly black fog. This is just the beginning of the story but I enjoyed it. My 11 year old was not a fan, so this may be something adults enjoy more than kids. ( )
  krau0098 | Aug 4, 2018 |

Robert Kondoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Tsutsumi, Dicemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Nothing lives in the fog...except memories.

Life in Sunrise Valley is tranquil, but beyond its borders lies certain death. A dangerous black fog looms outside the village, but its inhabitants are kept safe by an ingenious machine known as the dam. Pig's father built the dam and taught him how to maintain it. And then this brilliant inventor did the unthinkable: he walked into the fog and was never seen again. Now Pig is the dam keeper. Except for his best friend, Fox, and the town bully, Hippo, few are aware of his tireless efforts. But a new threat is on the horizon--a tidal wave of black fog is descending on Sunrise Valley. Now Pig, Fox, and Hippo must face the greatest danger imaginable: the world on the other side of the dam. Based on the Oscar-nominated animated short film of the same name, The Dam Keeper is a lush, vibrantly drawn graphic novel by Tonko House cofounders Robert Kondo and Dice Tsutsumi.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,686,974 books! | Top bar: Always visible