Felix Yz by Lisa Bunker

Felix Yz

by Lisa Bunker

When Felix Yz was a little boy, he was too close to his dad’s experiment and was accidentally paired with an alien who is named Zyx. He is going to have a procedure done to separate him and Zyx forever, because if they don’t get separated they will die. He writes about every day counting down to Zero Day, which is the day that he will have the procedure done, and Zyx uses Felix’s hands to say stuff. Felix became friends with a boy at his school named Hector. His mom’s boyfriend showed him online chess and Zyx loved it! He was faster than anyone in the world! Before Zero Day, Felix got scared and he ran away from home, he hopped onto a train and rode for a while before hopping off at a stop. He found a man that took him to a house where really nice people and they let them stay with them. He ended up going back to his family and Zero day arrived! On Zero Day, he was put into a machine that zapped him so that his heart stopped, and then it zapped him again and restarted his heart again. He was separated from Zyx and lived through the process!

I thought this book was ok. It was a little bit inappropriate at times, but it was mostly good. I liked the format that it was made in, where it was his own private blog and that you could hear what Zyx had to say. It was interesting to hear from someone that had been paired with an alien. I gave it four stars, because it was kind of boring at times. I would recommend this book to those that enjoy fiction. The part that the alien was kind of weird because it didn’t make much sense at some points. This book was fine overall. ( )
  MorganJ.G1 | Oct 24, 2018 |
When Felix was 3 a lab accident changed his life merging him with a 4th dimensional being who shares his body. This has complicated his life in a number of ways and a procedure is coming soon to separate them with a 1:5 chance of Felix surviving. The book is written as a diary with Felix counting down the days until the procedure and all his feels as this is about to happen. He also has some life complications with a crush, a writing contest, a bully. ( )
  ewyatt | Oct 8, 2018 |
Exposed as a young child to an experiment gone wrong a young man tries to live his life in the 28 days he has left before another surgery could change him ( )
  lindamamak | Sep 1, 2018 |
I loved everything about this book: the main and supporting characters, themes of family, friendship, gender differences, the pacing and the outcome. It didn't matter to me that the science fiction element was not detailed because the story itself was so good. Once I started this, I couldn't put it down. ( )
  bookwren | Apr 24, 2018 |
FELIX YZ by Lisa Bunker is a creative look at the difficulties of being in middle school, although the title character has challenges far beyond the typical thirteen-year-old.

With less than a month to go before The Procedure that could kill him, Felix Yz decides to start a blog/journal that details his thoughts leading up to the day of his possible death. Felix has spent ten years fused to a being from the fourth dimension after a lab accident that killed Felix’s father as well as combining Felix and *Zyxilef (or Zyx for short). Terrifying though that may sound, Zyx is a sweet and intelligent soul that acts as a sounding board for Felix, and although Zyx also takes over Felix’s body when moved by something (music and chess have that effect), there’s oddly nothing frightening about Zyx’s presence within Felix’s body.

The mild sci fi elements of FELIX YZ aren’t the only things that keep the book fresh and interesting. Felix has one of the most interesting cast of characters I’ve encountered in a while. Felix’s voice is both world-weary and young, and he combines smarts with naivety. In short, he’s wonderful. Zyx has a personality too, and although we don’t know if fourth dimension beings have genders, that’s okay because Felix’s gender fluid grandparent, Grandy, has solved the pronoun problem brilliantly by introducing vo, ven, veir, veirs, and veirself rather than he/she, him/her, his/her, his/hers, and himself/herself. It’s quite helpful throughout the book, and veir solid presence and great personality make Grandy or Vera/Vern (depending on the day of the week) one of my favorite adult characters in middle grades literature to date. The rest of Felix’s family is well developed too. His mom is both strong and vulnerable, and his sister is a musical genius with obvious love for her little brother.

FELIX YZ includes a coming-of-age element as Felix details the progress of his crush on Hector, a boy in Felix’s class who sees in Felix a kindred spirit, and Felix’s dealings with a bully who is relentless in his abuse. Felix’s focus in starting the blog is life and death, but as part of detailing his day-to-day existence, he obviously looks at many different aspects of thirteen-year-old life. The subtlety of Felix’s commentary on his challenges outside of the pending Procedure that may kill him and his wonderfully diverse family doesn’t make the lessons in the book any less powerful, and the low-key approach is perfect for the intended age group of the book. Ultimately FELIX YZ is a wise and beautiful story that combines humor with heartache, and it’s sure to keep the attention of readers of all ages. This is Lisa Bunker's first novel, and I cannot wait for her next one!

My thanks to the publisher and YA Books Central for a copy of the book in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  kalky | Sep 6, 2017 |
For Cy and Sam, with love. Thank you, Bairns, for words and art!
I almost talked to Hector today.

Thirteen-year-old Felix Yz chronicles the final month before an experimental procedure meant to separate him from the fourth-dimensional creature, Zyx, with whom he was accidentally fused as a young child.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,917,398 books! | Top bar: Always visible