Black Dawn by Mallory McCartney

Black Dawn

by Mallory McCartney

1141,166,044 (3.25)None

Ms McCartney appears to have used friends as beta readers, not hard-hearted and serious reviewers. The book is very thin on plot and characterization and is illogical and unintuitive. People would not behave the way the characters do so what set of circumstances allows them to behave irrationally? They aren't human, I get it, but if they are not going to act like humans, we need to know why.

The editing is minimal, and the breathless pace of the action does not provide time for baths, or sleep.

I received a review copy of "Black Dawn: Black Dawn #1" by Mallory McCartney (Clean Reads) through NetGalley.com. ( )
1 vote Dokfintong | Dec 16, 2017 |
Find more in https://chillandreadblog.wordpress.com/2017/09/25/black-dawn-by-mallory-mccartney-bookreview/

A Fantasy story in a new world that will blow your mind!

Emory is a plain girl living alone. One night the lights go off at her apartment and her whole life changes. Nothing will be the same again and almost anything she knew is fake! How is she going to comply to this new life? And why did she had those nightmares for all these years now?

This is how abruptly the book begins and the reader is transferred right into the action. The author does not spend any time to give hints on the characters. She rather lets them to be revealed throughout the course of the story. The reader gets to know of them, firsthand, as the story is being told from many different point of views.

There is Memphis, the strong Commander of the Academy. He is their leader and they trust him. When they find out he has been lying to them, he will have to prove himself for them to trust him again. He seems to be also a man in love. However, from what is hidden between the lines, he has his own agenda.

Emory is the long lost heir to the throne that Adair has arrogated. But she has been away all these years, while her people have suffered. Now, she has to re-gain control of the government and restore peace. But how easy is that? And what happens when her heart falls for a man? Does she have the courage to go through with it?

Brokk is a favorite, from the very beginning. He is the guy that has lost the most and he is still suffering. He is the one that will always help those in need and in good cause, no matter how this makes him feel. He is the quiet power that is expected to explode some time soon, maybe in one of the next in the series.

There are more characters that hold parts of the story and that is one of the captivating abilities of the author to bind the reader to the story. It is a fascinating story all along, with people fighting for their freedom, one of the strongest motives ever. But McCartney has a way to twist and turn the plot to make it more appealing and to provide a view that no one would imagine. ( )
  GeorgiaKo | Sep 27, 2017 |
This is the first book in this series. The author does a great job of transporting the reader into the this world of Kiero. From the beginning to the middle and finally the end, there was non stop action. Plus, all of the characters were strong. This included Emory. Once, she got over her initial shock of learning she is the true heir to the throne. I liked that Emory didn't question everything in disbelief. The story felt natural with the flow and all of the events that took place within the story.

There is a bit of a romance between Emory and Memphis. Yet, the author kept it mild; thus not to distract from the overall storyline. Again, this felt natural without the instant head over heels love. Both men were great in their own ways. It is just that Brokk was a bit more rough around the edges but this is what I liked about him. However, there is more to the men that first meets the eye. I don't want to give anything away so I will just leave it at that.

Adair makes a good enemy. What I mean by this is that he was not so weak that it would be easy for Emory, Brokk, Memphis and their allies to defeat Adair but at the same time, he kept the story interesting with his evilness. The ending had left me with an appetite for more in book two. Mallory McCartney delivers a rock solid punch with her debut novel, Black Dawn! ( )
  Cherylk | Sep 10, 2017 |
*This book was reviewed via Lola's Blog Tours*

📚📚📚📚 Recommended

McCartney’s Black Dawn tells the story of the fall of Kiero’s Academy. On a world where magick manifests as special abilities (much like mutant powers in X-Men), the elite institution was created by the King and Queen to be a place where the best could hone their skills to better aid society. But soon enough, a student turned rogue. He destroyed the Academy, slaughtered the ruling family, and usurped the throne.

The Academy lives on, fighting guerilla battles. And the last of the ruling line still lives, secreted away through magic of time and space. Now is the time for her return.

Six years ago, Emory Fae was sent from Kiero to Earth, her memory wiped. Her return from the dead is a shock to everyone save the two who sent her away to begin with, and not everyone is happy she's back. They feel she should have been with them the entire time, and Emory will have to work hard to gain their trust. As she trains, honing her unique leech skills, she begins to formulate a plan of her own to take down Adair. The question is, can she do it before betrayals, and secret histories threaten to undo all that Emory, and the Academy itself has worked to build?

I had a bit of trouble getting into the beginning of the story, but it soon captured my attention, and I ended up getting lost in it when I was supposed to be going to bed! I liked that the chapters moved from character to character, so you got a bit more of the puzzle, things that some characters haven't learned yet, but are needed for the story flow. I loved that the magicks were unique, and, while Brokk shifted to a wolf, he wasn't a 'werewolf’. Wolves as shapeshift animals have become a trope in my eyes, and is usually a big turn off for me. The feel here, though, was that he could be something else if he wanted.

I enjoyed the twists and turns to the story, as we learn Brokk's parentage, and get less clouded glimpses into what Roque and Nei may have really intended with the Academy. I really want to know more about the Oilean too!

Another good proofing would be in order. The story itself is thoroughly enjoyable, and I am looking forward to the sequel. The cover is awesome, and was one of the things that intrigued me to reading it. ( )
  PardaMustang | May 20, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,823,555 books! | Top bar: Always visible