Yo Soy Muslim: A Father's Letter to His…

Yo Soy Muslim: A Father's Letter to His Daughter

by Mark Gonzales

321347,362 (4)None

There are many reasons I liked this book. First, I really enjoyed the layout of this story. The author had this story be told as a father’s letter to his daughter about multiculturalism and their faith, ethnicity, and language. The point of view was in first person because the father was telling it, so it provided a more personal connection. I feel if the story was in third person, it would not have done it justice. Diversity is highlighted and emphasized throughout the pages, whereas throughout my experience as a student, I read many stories about many American students, so learning about other cultures and religions is important and valued. There was elegant poetry used to create vivid language and imagery. Second, the vivid imagery used during the entire story helped expand on the plot immensely. There was a very powerful image that shows an older woman standing with the daughter saying “There are questions this world will ask. What are you? And where are you from? And there are people glancing at her from a couple feet away. The next image was super mind blowing. The same people were in a dark, color saturated room staring and whispering at the young girl and you start to feel the pain of being discriminated against. The story’s images and words are very intense and affect the reader. There were many pictures of the little girl praying with her father. She was often wearing crocs which would be relatable to many children, worldwide. Many animals were depicted in the imagery as well. Descriptive language was emphasized in the elegant poetry. The words Yo Soy Muslim were repeated many times throughout the story to show the importance of knowing who you are and not changing. Culture is a huge part of who we are and this story does a really great job of showing readers that. The big idea is the importance of faith, tradition, and culture. Tough issues mentioned include religion and Muslim heritage. Lately our country is putting a lot of pressure and discrimination on these people, but seeing their culture in a positive way in literature is comforting. There was a section in this story that explicitly says “we were here before boarders were” and I think that is a really important and powerful statement that needed to be included. This story does a great job at providing a positive look into the Muslim culture in a personal way with vivid imagery and descriptive words. ( )
  ParisMacuch | Mar 4, 2018 |

A lyrical celebration of multiculturalism as a parent shares with a child the value of their heritage and why it should be a source of pride, even when others disagree.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,952,768 books! | Top bar: Always visible