An Enchantment of Ravens (2017)

by Margaret Rogerson

Isobel is a prodigy portrait artist with a dangerous set of clients: the sinister fair folk, immortal creatures who cannot bake bread, weave cloth, or put a pen to paper without crumbling to dust. They crave human Craft with a terrible thirst, and Isobel's paintings are highly prized. But when she receives her first royal patron--Rook, the autumn prince--she makes a terrible mistake. She paints mortal sorrow in his eyes--a weakness that could cost him his life. Furious and devastated, Rook spirits her away to the autumnlands to stand trial for her crime. Waylaid by the Wild Hunt's ghostly hounds, the tainted influence of the Alder King, and hideous monsters risen from barrow mounds, Isobel and Rook depend on one another for survival. Their alliance blossoms into trust, then love--and that love violates the fair folks' ruthless laws. Now both of their lives are forfeit, unless Isobel can use her skill as an artist to fight the fairy courts. Because secretly, her Craft represents a threat the fair folk have never faced in all the millennia of their unchanging lives: for the first time, her portraits have the power to make them feel.… (more)
mom (450)

English (48)  German (1)  All languages (49)
Beautifully written and engaging, this faerie story delivers whimsy and, strangely enough, a cozy feeling in the midst of an adventure (and the obligatory romance, of course)
Do recommend to all that enjoy fairytales. ( )
  MissAlandra | Jan 17, 2022 |
A fascinating and intense love story that I enjoyed very much. The protagonist doesn’t read like her age; she shows the maturity and wisdom of someone older than seventeen, and she is relatable and easy to root for. The banter between her and the other characters is well written, especially the bickering between her and Rook.

The reason I rate it four stars is because it was a little fast paced, (which wouldn’t be a problem for some people, but I’d like more moments with the characters), and I predicted the ending a little early on. Still, the characters and setting easily drew me in and kept me enthralled till the end. ( )
  KatieWrites | Jan 4, 2022 |
I quite enjoyed the debut novel of Margaret Rogerson. The imagery and metaphors were overwhelming and captivating, and the progression of story was solid. While it wasn't precisely a unique story - I cannot say instalove romances ever did anything for my practical soul - the way the story was told was singular. It definitely reminded me of Sarah J. Maas' ACOTAR series, and paralleled the characters and relationships from them.

Overall, I loved the book, the story, and the characters, and anyone who appreciates a journey of fantastical creatures and brilliant imagery (or loves ACOTAR) would quite enjoy this book, too, methinks. ( )
  katprohas | Dec 16, 2021 |
I really like the cover of this book! I was impressed at how the story feels like a journey, with the main characters ending up physically where they started, but with a broader view of themselves and of the world. I also thought the fae in this book stayed consistent to the rules the author set and to common fae lore.

I would have liked to see more about why the magic system works the way it does. The fae can't create anything that requires skill and artistry, which sets up the budgeting system and why the humans aren't all dead. I didn't, however, get the sense magic had a limit of how many illusions could be happening. The other thing I would have liked to see would be a more detailed epilogue, I want to know what's happening to these people in 10 years, 50 years. Still, I really enjoyed the journey and the story. ( )
  Emma.June.Lyon | Nov 1, 2021 |
I really enjoyed this! Very good story with a sweet romance. I would definitely recommend this book to people who like faerie stories where they are a bit more devious but still want a romance. I really liked the main two characters of Rook and Isobel. I did want a bit more of Isobel’s family because they seemed very interesting but I understand why that wasn’t a major part and it certainly didn’t take away from the overall story. I almost wanted a few more romantic scenes because those scenes were so well written and I absolutely adored the dynamic of their relationship. Room was sort of petulant at first but I really liked the way he treated Isobel and the trust she was able to put in him because of that. I frequently dislike the romantic subplot of fantasy stories and wish for them to take a smaller role but I loved the way the relationship was really incorporated into the larger plot. I also loved the way crafting and the different talents of the human characters actually served a larger purpose in this world and because of that were seen as increasingly valuable. Instead of painting just being Isobels career, it can actually be a tool and defense for her. I loved that crafts were things that faeries valued because it was something they could not do. A lot of fantasy stories present the mythical creatures as all powerful so it was nice to see a story that presents clear and creepy negative characters in the all powerful faeries, even though one is involved in the romance. The author does not shy away from creating true flaws and drawbacks in being a faerie to show that becoming one will not give you new amazing powers but can actually take things away from you. ( )
  AKBouterse | Oct 14, 2021 |
To my mom and dad, with love.
My parlor smelled of linseed oil and spike lavender, and a dab of lead tin yellow glistened on my canvas.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,064,823 books! | Top bar: Always visible