Who Thought This Was a Good Idea?: And Other…

Who Thought This Was a Good Idea?: And Other Questions You Should Have… (2017)

by Alyssa Mastromonaco, Lauren Oyler

Could not get into this book.
  Bookish59 | Aug 11, 2018 |
Funny, pleasant, even moving, recounting of a young woman's life in politics, filled with little bits of advice to other women who want a similar career. I hear Mastromonaco frequently in the podcasts I listen to, and it's easy to like her after reading the book. ( )
  Murphy-Jacobs | Aug 1, 2018 |
While generally engaging and giving a fair sense of what working for Obama was like, the author's intention was to inspire and instruct millennial women to work in high governmental jobs. Since I am outside the author's target demographic, I found some of this book of limited interest and usefulness. While I don't regret reading it at all, I am a bit miffed to invest time in a book only to find out the author's intent did not concern me. I resent that this aspect of the book was not more prominently displayed on the jacket. Oh well. I was fascinated by the personality of the author, who is about as different from me as can be, and the ease with which she accepts being accepted into the elite echelons of politics, government, society, and industry. ( )
  baobab | May 12, 2018 |
Interesting book written by the former White House deputy chief of staff for Obama. She wanted to present a realistic view of her career and her job duties. Since I lived thru this time it was great to hear about the background issues and challenges that were faced behind the scenes of events that made it into the media and some that did not. ( )
  Katyefk | Apr 24, 2018 |
I wanted to like this book, as I have heard the author interviewed and she was funny and smart. I ended up giving the book away without finishing it. It was meandering, there wasn't a central conflict to be resolved, the characters popped up without much explanation and were all "great." I was bored. ( )
  teckelvik | Mar 26, 2018 |

Alyssa Mastromonacoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Oyler, Laurenmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Mummy, Poof, and Moosie
for letting me be since 1976
When I first met Barack Obama in December 2004, I'm not sure he liked me very much.

"If your funny older sister were the former deputy chief of staff to President Barack Obama, her behind-the-scenes political memoir would look something like this. WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA? is an intimate and admiring portrait of a president, a candid book of advice for young women, and a promising debut from a savvy political star"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,031,617 books! | Top bar: Always visible