Munich by Robert Harris

Munich (2017)

by Robert Harris

English (23)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (26)
A pretty interesting, quick read which isn't like something I would normally read. Harris did a very good job of humanizing the characters and, while some of the plot was contrived, it never felt too artificial ( )
  Lorem | Jan 20, 2019 |
Harris wore a little story on a big affair.

Since Harris realized that he had nothing, a pistol that appeared in the third act also did nothing at its finale. Because of this understanding, the descriptions of the places, the trees, the furniture, the faces were endless.

If the reader has learned a thing or two from this particular chapter in history, so be it. Otherwise, this book has no justification. Certainly not literary. ( )
  Denizhorowits | Jan 14, 2019 |
Thoroughly enjoyed this. Quite the page-turner. Interesting premise, srtong characterisation, not my usual fare, glad I picked it up. ( )
  malcrf | Oct 29, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this book. I find World War II history fascinating, and it was really interesting to learn about this conference. I'm not as familiar with the precursors to the war, so I really liked that this book was based on the real events of the Munich Conference. The fictional elements of the story were very believable and I felt that they blended seamlessly with the real history. I definitely recommend this book for anyone who enjoys WWII history or just a good thriller. Thanks to First to Read for the advance copy. ( )
  carlie892 | Oct 10, 2018 |
Robert Harris never disappoints me. ( )
  sblock | Aug 8, 2018 |

Harris, Robertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Arnold, FrankSprechersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eubank, K.Authorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fowlie, GemmaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Müller, WolfgangÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rintoul, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Kappel, RogierTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'We dienen ons er altijd van bewust te zijn dat wat nu in het verleden ligt ooit in de toekomst heeft gelegen.'
- F.W. Maitland, historicus (1850-1906)
'We hadden in 1938 de oorlog moeten beginnen [...] september 1938 zou het gunstigste tijdstip zijn geweest.'
- Adolf Hitler, februari 1945
Voor Matilda

September 1938. Hitler is determined to start a war. Chamberlain is desperate to preserve the peace.The issue is to be decided in a city that will forever afterwards be notorious for what takes place there. Munich. As Chamberlain's plane judders over the Channel and the Fuhrer's train steams relentlessly south from Berlin, two young men travel with secrets of their own. Hugh Legat is one of Chamberlain's private secretaries; Paul Hartmann a German diplomat and member of the anti-Hitler resistance. Great friends at Oxford before Hitler came to power, they haven't seen one another since they were last in Munich six years earlier. Now, as the future of Europe hangs in the balance, their paths are destined to cross again. When the stakes are this high, who are you willing to betray? Your friends, your family, your country or your conscience?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,627,764 books! | Top bar: Always visible