Sometimes I Lie by Alice Feeney

Sometimes I Lie

by Alice Feeney

Holy camoly didn’t see that one coming. So my fellow librarian brought this one over to me after he processed it for circulation and said I read the first page and think it’s totally your kind of book. Boy he was right. Read it in one day because I just couldn’t put it down. I didn’t see the twists coming and that ending...😳😳. 5🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟for sure. Totally enjoyed this. ( )
  karenvg3 | Mar 19, 2018 |
Amber has woken up in a hospital. She is unable to move, speak, or open her eyes. She can hear everything happening around her. She can hear everything people are saying about her. Amber is trapped inside her body thanks to a coma she is now in. The circumstances of what brought her to be in a coma are unknown to Amber. In fact, she can’t remember anything about what has happened to her, but she does know that her husband’s presence in her room is giving her an uneasy feeling.

Amber’s life slowly starts to come back to her as the novel alternates between the past week of her life, her present condition, and a series of childhood diary entries. As each day brings Amber closer to the day of the incident her suspicions for those closest to her begin to rise. Who can she truly trust? Who and what is at the root of the accident that has left her in a coma? Is anyone telling the truth?

Alice Feeney just wowed the pants of me with SOMETIMES I LIE! I could not put this book down. Amber’s character is absolutely captivating from page one. She is the ultimate unreliable narrator. I was never sure if I could trust a word of what I was reading. The past unfolds in such a methodical way that the reader is constantly kept at the edge of their seat and desperately needing to know more. The diary entries are another source of brilliance that draws the reader even deeper in to what makes Amber tick. I was so confident I knew what was happening. Wrong. And then Alice told me I was wrong again and again and again! This book is everything I want from a psychological thriller: equal parts mystery, intrigue, and downright what the heck just happened!

Thank you so much to Flatiron books for sending me a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  jess_reads_books | Mar 13, 2018 |
By now, anyone who reads has seen the blurb. . .
My name is Amber Reynolds. There are three things you should know about me:
1. I'm in a coma.
2. My husband doesn't love me anymore.
3. Sometimes I lie.

. . . and the description:
Amber wakes up in a hospital. She can't move. She can't speak. She can't open her eyes. She can hear everyone around her, but they have no idea. Amber doesn't remember what happened, but she has a suspicion her husband had something to do with it. Alternating between her paralyzed present, the week before her accident, and a series of childhood diaries from twenty years ago, this brilliant psychological thriller asks: Is something really a lie if you believe it's the truth?

This is one of those books that is so compelling you want to stop everyone you meet and tell them about it. But you can't, because this story is so complex and has so many twists and turns that everything you say will be gibberish unless you explain it all - and that would spoil it.

This is the ultimate unreliable narrator, and the Liar's Paradox: If I say, 'I always tell lies', am I telling the truth?

Amber's life just seems sad. She's thirty-five years old, married but doesn't think her husband loves her, struggles on the job, appears to have obsessive-compulsive disorder, takes medication. There's a fairly large cast of characters - husband Paul, Mum & Dad, sister Claire, Nana, friend Jo, friend Taylor and Taylor's parents, co-worker Madeline, ex-boyfriend Edward - and three time periods - Now in the coma, Then just before the accident, and Before through a child's diary entries - and even with all those people and through all that time, she never seems to be quite happy or loved or successful. She says at one point, "I am liquid mercury trapped inside a maze. No matter what I do, I can't seem to flow in the right direction." and that kind of describes what we know of her whole life.

But what do we really know of Amber's life except what we see through her eyes? When she says, "I play the caring wife he needs me to be . . . . There is no time for me to practice my lines so I'm forced to improvise. It's not an award-winning performance, but enough to satisfy the audience of one," or "I always get the impression that she (her husband Paul's mother) sees straight through me and doesn't like the view," a little of our sympathy for Amber ebbs away. But then she says, "Funny how something so small can do so much damage and still look the same," and has nightmares about a little girl in a pink dressing gown we are a bit apprehensive for Amber. And when she says, "I can convince myself for a few seconds that I'm at the hairdresser's, that life has been restored to my version of normal." it feels like we have come full circle back to the sometime-liar - MY version of normal.

I read a lot of thrillers and mysteries and like to look for clues, and often solve the mystery before the end of the book. But I was surprised so many times I think I lost count. I would think oh, so that's it, and then wow, so that's it, but then it was no, it's THAT? Over and over, right up until the very end. Sometimes I Lie is dark, disturbing, relentless and just plain scary. One of the quotes on the book jacket says you'll be guessing until the very end, and you will. And you still won't have figured it out and will likely have to go back and re-read that last chapter to be sure you got it right. Once you pick this book up you won't be able to put it down, and you'll love it.

Thanks to Flatiron Books for giving me an ARC of this compelling and thoroughly enjoyable book. ( )
  GrandmaCootie | Mar 13, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this book. I am actually a little surprised by how much I ended up liking it. I decided to read this book because I was intrigued by the description. It was that same description that had me worried that this book may not work for me. I love the idea of unreliable narrators but I have had mixed luck with them. Let me just say that this book worked very well for me on all levels. I read almost the whole book in a single day and could seem to stop turning pages. I am so glad that I decided to give this book a try.

This is Amber's story. Amber is in a coma and can hear what is going on around her but can't respond. I was immediately drawn into the story because I felt like I needed to know how Amber ended up in that coma. I wouldn't really say that I liked Amber or any of the other characters in the story but I didn't dislike them either. I had no idea who to trust at any point in the story.

The dual timelines in this book worked well. Piece by piece, we learn the details of what events led up to her hospitalization as well as everything happening around her while she is in the coma. I was really equally interesting in both timelines and thought that the story switched from then to now at just the right moments to keep the story moving forward.

This book was full of twists and turns. It is really best to go into this book as blindly as possible which I was thankfully able to do. As I read the book I quickly discovered that everything that I thought I knew about the story was completely wrong. I was taken by surprise many times over the course of the story and sometimes had to take a short break just to process what I had just learned. I quickly began to expect the unexpected and I still found that I was shocked by some of the twists along the way.

I would recommend this book to others. I loved how this book kept me guessing until the very end. I am really impressed with Alice Feeney's style of writing and hope to read more of her work in the future.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Flatiron Press via NetGalley. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Mar 12, 2018 |
Everyone should read this book!!! This is the best unreliable narrator book I have ever read. It was thrown for SO many unexpected twists. It was amazing. I can normally see a plot twist coming but this book surprised me constantly. Just when you think you know, you don't.

The synopsis doesn't really tell you anything about the book which is great. You don't need to know anything going into it. JUST READ IT ALREADY! ( )
  akdickens | Mar 1, 2018 |

My name is Amber Reynolds. There are three things you should know about me. 1. I'm in a coma 2. My husband doesn't love me any more 3. Sometimes I lie.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,029,935 books! | Top bar: Always visible