Our Father Abraham: Jewish Roots of the…

Our Father Abraham: Jewish Roots of the Christian Faith

by Marvin R. Wilson

5 = Life Changing
4 = Among Best in Genre; Enlightening
3 = Enjoyable; Informative
2 = Missable
1 = Avoid ( )
  xKEEFx | Jul 13, 2019 |
Title: Our Father Abraham (Jewish Roots of the Christian Faith)
Author: Marvin Wilson
Pages: 395
Year: 1990
Publisher: Eerdmans
My rating: 4 out of 5 stars.
In the journey of discovering the Jewish roots of my Christian faith, I have read many books. Some were very helpful and other books weren’t for various reasons. However, Our Father Abraham is a gem because the author takes great pains to explain various topics in a way that can be easily comprehended while also leaving the reader wanting more. At the end of each chapter, there are discussion questions that give people an opportunity to cement the information learned while also exploring the topic in the Bible. Other books may have a few discussion questions, but the author here gives each chapter over 20 questions. Plus, at the end of the book, there are footnotes that point to other sources for further study and contemplation.
What makes reading the book enjoyable is, of course, the material and having an opportunity to discuss the material with a friend. If you have never tried doing this with a nonfiction book, I hope you will as it helped me remember what I read and clarified some points of the material I had trouble digesting.
While the book is not a recent work, don’t let that put you off from reading it. I am not sure how much Messianic Judaism has changed since the book was published, but I look at some of the material as being helpful to understand the subject at the time. The most recent chapter I read helped me understand the way Hebrews view education and how other cultures do as well. Plus, it helped me see how that influences the society I live in.
The book will remain on my shelf in the hopes that my progeny will read it and find the information helpful plus spur them on to seek more understanding and growth in their faith. ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Jun 29, 2018 |
An informative and well-researched description of how the emerging original Christian religion founded by Christ and the Apostles based on Scripture was supplanted by anti-semitism, philosophy, and mystery religion. ( )
  makasperson | Mar 28, 2018 |
NO OF PAGES: 374 SUB CAT I: Jewish Roots SUB CAT II: SUB CAT III: DESCRIPTION: This volume delineates the link between Judaism and Christianity, between the Old and New Testaments, and calls Christians to reexamine their Hebrew roots so as to effect a more authentically biblical lifestyle.NOTES: SUBTITLE: Jewish Roots of the Christian Faith
  BeitHallel | Feb 18, 2011 |
NO OF PAGES: 374 SUB CAT I: Jewish Roots SUB CAT II: SUB CAT III: DESCRIPTION: Although the roots of Christianity run deep into Hebrew soil, many Christians are regrettably uninformed about the rich Hebrew heritage of the church. This volume delineates the link between Judaism and Christianity, between the Old and the New Testament, and calls Christians to reexamine their Hebrew roots so as to effect a more authentically biblical life-style. As an introduction to the world of Hebrew thought, "Our Father Abraham" is biblical, historical, and cultural in nature. At the same time, the writing is personal and passionate, reflecting Marvin Wilson's own spiritualm pilgramage and his extensive dialogue with Jews.NOTES: Donated by Tim and Paulette Hegg. SUBTITLE: Jewish Roots of the Christian Faith
  BeitHallel | Feb 18, 2011 |

Although the roots of Christianity run deep into Hebrew soil, many Christians are regrettably uninformed about the rich Hebrew heritage of the church. This volume delineates the link between Judaism and Christianity, between the Old and the New Testament, and calls Christians to reexamine their Hebrew roots so as to effect a more authentically biblical lifestyle. As an introduction to the world of Hebrew thought, Our Father Abraham is biblical, historical, and cultural in nature. At the same time, the writing is personal and passionate, reflecting Marvin Wilson's own spiritual pilgrimage and his extensive dialogue with Jews. The book (1) develops a historical perspective on the Jewish origins of the church, (2) sets forth the importance and nature of Hebrew thought, (3) discusses how the church can become more attuned to the Hebraic mind-set of Scripture, and (4) offers practical suggestions for interaction between Jews and Christians. The study questions at the end of each chapter enhance the book's usefulness as a text and also make it suitable for Bible-study and discussion groups. All Christians--and Jews too--will profit from Wilson's sensible treatments of biblical texts, his thorough understanding of both the Christian and the Jewish faith, and his honest historical analysis of the general failure of the Christian church to acknowledge and understand its relation to Judaism.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,366,899 books! | Top bar: Always visible