The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye: A…

The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye: A Lisbeth Salander novel, continuing…

by David Lagercrantz

English (31)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (41)
I think this may be the end of my interest in the Lisbeth Salander series. Book 4 wasn't bad but this one just seemed to be a rehash of the same plots. Lisbeth is in jail at the beginning and gets interested in the plight of a young Muslim woman who is being terrorized by a fellow inmate. Her old guardian comes to visit Lisbeth because a woman has come to him with some files from Lisbeth's time in a treatment centre when she was young. Lisbeth contacts Mikael Blomquist to follow up on the files which he does leading him to a rich financier who is somehow also involved in Lisbeth's history. Meanwhile Lisbeth sets about protecting the Muslim woman and puts her tormentor in prison. Lisbeth is soon released and can do some research herself. Between her and Blomquist they discover that there were experiments in raising orphaned twins to see what effect environment plays on genetically identical children. Lisbeth's old guardian asks the wrong question of the wrong person and is killed for it which enrages Lisbeth. Before she can explore further she is kidnapped by the prisoner she put in hospital who is teamed up with the brother of the Muslim woman. Of course, Salander gets rescued in the nick of time and she exacts revenge for her guardian's murder.

There is obviously going to be another book because the stock market, particularly in Sweden, is precipitously plunging in value as the book ends. ( )
  gypsysmom | Sep 12, 2018 |
3.5 stars

This is a tough book to review because even though I liked it for the most part, it just felt slightly off when comparing it to the first four books of the series. Part of the problem for me was there was little Millennium newsroom storyline which I didn't realize until now I actually needed in these books. Couple that and Lisbeth in prison, and everything just felt different in this one. I know other people had a problems with the fourth book but I honestly thought it was a fairly good attempt and I did feel like I had stepped back comfortably into Blomkvist and Salander's world. I don't think the author captured that feeling as well with the fifth book.

In some ways though, this book was better than the fourth. While the action switched back and forth between different characters, it didn't feel as overwhelming and hard to follow as with the last book. Many of the characters will be familiar to readers as they have been featured in other books. The story line was also easier to follow as it didn't get into weird technology and NSA type stuff.

Overall, I did enjoy the book even though I had problems with it. If you liked the previous book, I think this one is a safe bet if you don't go into it with super high expectations. While this one might be the weakest in the series, it still makes for a good thriller. ( )
  fastforward | Aug 27, 2018 |
Very fast read! I love that you can read these independently. Although it helps to have the background of the other books. Great story line! More info on the background if Lisabeth as well as her dragon tattoo! Looking forward to seeing where the next book takes us. ( )
  Chelz286 | Aug 26, 2018 |
How can I not love a thrilling novel about an investigative journalist in Sweden who gets caught up in Lisbeth Salander's back story? :) Throw in contemporary topics like Fake news sinking the financial markets and it's a winner! I miss Stieg Larsson. of course, but David Lagercrantz is doing a fine job with the story and characters. ( )
  ioplibrarian | Aug 26, 2018 |
David Lagercrantz's The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye continues his extension of Steig Larsson's Millennium Trilogy. The novel begins with Lisbeth Salander in prison following the events of The Girl in the Spider's Web. There, Salander works to help another inmate who was abused while Salander herself is under threat from a gangster with connections to Salander's sister, Camilla. Meanwhile, Mikael Blomkvist works to help clear Salander's reputation and follow-up on a case she delivered to him: something is amiss with one of Sweden's top financial analysts and may have connections to Salander's past.
The case leads to an exploration of Salander's origins, with Lagercrantz going beyond those answers Larsson provided in The Girl Who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. Holger Palmgren, Salander's guardian, provides information that some of her childhood troubles were the result of a program run by the Swedish Twins Registry and the Registry for the Study of Genetics and Social Environment, formerly part of the State Institute for Racial Biology, a eugenics institute (pg. 217). Perhaps most alarmingly, rather than allow for some questions to go unanswered, Lagercrantz explains the exact origin of Salander's dragon tattoo as part of the events from Salander's past that are now coming to light (pgs. 276-277).
The writing continues to feel more mechanical than the fluid noir style of Larsson's novels and the story, while containing interesting elements, is rather simple (connections to other books notwithstanding). While page length does not necessarily reflect quality, this is the shortest novel in the Millennium series. As entertaining as it is to follow the adventures of Salander and Blomkvist, this story lacks the weight and feeling of necessity of Larsson's work or even the high stakes of Lagercrantz's The Girl in the Spider's Web. A good beach read for those looking for something light, but unlikely to enter the zeitgeist like the other books. ( )
  DarthDeverell | Jul 10, 2018 |
The reader is repeatedly told that Salander and Blomkvist are driven by a desire for justice, but because we spend so little time in close-up with the book’s heroine, it is not convincing. There is a sluggishness to the plotting and much of the tension relies on orchestrated interruptions and delays, which irritate. Lagercrantz has all the elements of the Millennium series at his disposal, but the adrenaline is missing: it feels as if one has gone to a restaurant, ordered a rare steak and been served soggy fish fingers instead.
added by hf22 | editThe Guardian (UK), Margie Orford (Sep 13, 2017)

Holger Palmgren was sitting in his wheelchair in the vistors' room.

Lisbeth Salander has been forged by a brutal childhood and horrific abuse. And repeated attempts on her life. The ink embedded in her skin is a constant reminder of her pledge to fight against the injustice she finds on every side. Confinement to the secure unit of a women's prison is intended as a punishment. Instead, Lisbeth finds herself in relative safety. Flodberga is a failing prison, effectively controlled by the inmates, and for a computer hacker of her exceptional gifts there are no boundaries. Mikael Blomkvist makes the long trip to visit every week - and receives a lead to follow for his pains, one that could provide an important expose for Millennium: Salander tells him to check out Leo Mannheimer, a seemingly reputable stockbroker from Stockholm, somehow connected to the long-ago death of a child psychologist - and to the psychiatric unit where Lisbeth was an involuntary patient as a child. Lisbeth knows she is coming closer to solving the mysteries of her early life; and even within the confines of the prison, she feels the deadly influence exerted by her twin sister. Salander will stand up for what she believes in. She will find out the truth. Whatever the cost.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,001,444 books! | Top bar: Always visible