Stealing Shadows by Kay Hooper

1st of 3 books. Best in the thrillogy. Cassie is a psychic that's hit rock bottom. Too much death, hate, and despair has driven her into seclusion. However, someone has a cat-and-mouse game they want her to play. Sweaty palms, lights on to sleep kinda book! ( )
  lesmel | Jul 13, 2013 |
Stealing Shadows
4 Stars

Synopsis:
Cassie Neil is a psychic who helps the police capture killers until the day she makes a mistake and feels compelled to live a quieter life. Unfortunately, Cassie's new home is being stalked by a murderer but no one believes her until the bodies start piling up.

Review:
Well-written with several twists and turns to keep you guessing.
The plot appears to be your typical serial killer fare but the climax turns out to be quite a shocker. For once, I was unable to guess the killer even though there are definitely sufficient clues. This might be because I was distracted (in a good way) by the romantic and paranormal aspects of the story.

The psychic elements are believable perhaps due to the fact that a main character has his doubts concerning the heroine’s abilities. He is eventually convinced by the evidence and becomes a staunch believer, thereby mimicking the readers experience and allowing for suspension of disbelief.

The primary romance builds slowly but develops into an intense and captivating relationship. Cassie is extremely strong willed and keeps herself at a distance, which can be irritating at times but is clearly consistent with the nature of her psychic abilities. Ben is attractive and sensitive but not without his own flaws, which he must overcome to save Cassie’s life.

The development of the minor characters is one of the details that draw you into the story because the women, who are easy to identify with and care about, are potential victims while the men are possible suspects. One of the few flaws in the book is that the killer’s motivation is not sufficiently developed and it would have been better to have more information about what makes him tick.

Overall, this is an entertaining and suspenseful read and I look forward to reading the next book in the series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Apr 2, 2013 |
This book was recommended to me by a friend, and I really enjoyed it. It is about a psychic who tries to help the police solve crimes by connecting to the minds of the killers. It was really well written and I enjoyed the quick pace and reading about the main character Cassie, the psychic.

I'd certainly read another of her books, my only problem now is deciding whether to add her remaining books to my TBR (to be read) pile.

I thoroughly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys tv shows such as 'Medium' or who enjoys reading crime with a psychic or paranormal twist. ( )
  Carpe_Librum | Nov 29, 2010 |
Good story, well-written and interesting. It's a little too grim for me, though - I'm not into serial murderers, even with psychic powers in the mix. It definitely read like there was a backstory to Bishop, but apparently this was his intro. I rather like Cassie and I really like Ben - Kay Hooper managed to take the romance-standard tropes of 'overwhelming attraction' and 'one person hurt makes the other admit love' and put some very nice twists on them. Ben and his walls were major factors in both the romance and the mystery - not stuck in just for one aspect of the story. Overall, very nicely done - glad I read it. Oddly enough, I seem to have read it before - I rated it - but I didn't remember it at all. No, I seem to have rated all my Hoopers. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jan 2, 2010 |
There are not enough good teachers in the world.

This book is dedicated to:
    Mary Anne Head
    Jane Biggerstaff
    Betty Hough

with appreciation and thanks for helping to make school an interesting place for my niece, Beth.
"Talk to me Cassie."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553575538, Mass Market Paperback)

What if you can enter a madman's cruel mind as he plans his vicious crimes? What if you can see the terrified face of his prey as he moves in for the kill—but you can't stop his frenzy once he strikes?

Psychic Cassie Neill helps the L.A. police catch killers—until she makes a terrible mistake and an innocent child dies. Cassie flees to a small North Carolina town, hoping that a quiet life will silence the voices that invade her unwilling mind. But Cassie's abilities know few boundaries. And she's become certain—as no one else can be—that a murderer is stalking Ryan's Bluff.

It's his fury that Cassie senses first, then his foul thoughts and perverse excitement. Yet she doesn't know who he is or where he will strike. The sheriff won't even listen to her—until the first body is found exactly where and how she predicted. Now a suspect herself, she races desperately to unmask the killer in the only way she knows: by entering his twisted mind. Her every step is loaded with fear and uncertainty...because if he senses her within him, he'll trap her there, so deep she'll never find her way out.

In Stealing Shadows, Kay Hooper introduces FBI agent Noah Bishop, whose rare gift for seeing what others do not helps him solve the most puzzling cases. Now, Bishop's adventures continue in two new electrifying tales of psychic suspense.

Beware of what you see. It's dawn when the police arrive at the murder scene. The victim is propped against a tree, her eyes still open, her head tilted, her lips parted in a silent cry. Just as Cassie Neill predicted. Just as she saw while she was inside the killer's mind. The killer knew she was there. And next time he won't let her get away.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:16 -0400)

Psychic Cassie Neil flees to a small North Carolina town seeking refuge from the work she's done for the Los Angeles Police Department, but when Cassie predicts a murder it is up to her and Ben Ryan, the town's prosecuting attorney to find the killer.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,231,816 books! | Top bar: Always visible