A Duke in Shining Armor by Loretta Chase

A Duke in Shining Armor

by Loretta Chase

Series: Difficult Dukes(1)

Not all dukes are created equal. Most are upstanding members of Society. And then there's the trio known as Their Dis-Graces. Hugh Philemon Ancaster, seventh Duke of Ripley, will never win prizes for virtue. But even he draws the line at running off with his best friend's bride. All he's trying to do is recapture the slightly inebriated Lady Olympia Hightower and return her to her intended bridegroom. For reasons that elude her, bookish, bespectacled Olympia is supposed to marry a gorgeous rake of a duke. The town is flabbergasted. Her family's ecstatic. And Olympia? She's climbing out of a window, bent on a getaway. But tall, dark, and exasperating Ripley is hot on her trail, determined to bring her back to his friend. For once, the world-famous hellion is trying to do the honorable thing. So why does Olympia have to make it so deliciously difficult for him . . . ?… (more)

A Duke In Shining Armor is the first of the newest series by Loretta Chase. I really didn’t know what to expect when I started this book but I was delightfully entertained with this story. And I will be quite frank….what has always drawn me to this book was the COVER….its so pretty, I just love the landscape, with her in the wedding dress and her hair cascading down her back. It’s real perfection and really portrays the story very well actually. I have read most of this author’s other works and this definitely is going to rank as one of my top favorites from her, to be honest. So entertaining, lively and downright fun in so many ways.

Our story begins with our heroine, Lady Olympia Hightower, who is about to be married. But when her nerves get the best of her she gets drunk and decides it would be best to flee the situation especially after her mother got through telling her about intimacies (kinda freaked her out, but back then who wouldn’t be freaked out?) but while she is fleeing, a certain best friend of her groom chases after her. Hugh Philemon Ancaster is the seventh Duke of Ripley, and he knows he can’t just let Olympia leave to her own devices especially in the state she is in. So he accompanies her to make sure she doesn’t get into trouble. An adventure is awaiting them including a passion neither expected to find, but their forbidden match is one both Ripley and Olympia are willing to fight for. But what will the consequences be for their love?

A Duke In Shining Armor, first off, was so HILARIOUS. Like honestly I just was laughing so much all the way through. The bantering we find between these two was highly addicting and I just wanted more of this delicious dialogue that builds between these two. Now at first, I was REALLY confused about why Olympia was running away. Her characteristics really clash at the beginning, to be honest, and don’t really make sense. You can tell from the very beginning that she is such a strong-willed young woman who doesn’t easily run away, but here she is. So I did find that she had a strong contradictory nature (but us women are that way, I think it’s in our DNA, unfortunately, hehe) This is where the confusion over the heroine’s actions can mislead the reader at times.

Now for our delicious hero, Ripley, is simply magnificent. There are no other words for him, and quite logical and sensible. He definitely knows all the right ways in dealing with Olympia because her character can be difficult at times but that doesn’t seem to put Ripley off at all…if anything it only fortifies him in some unique dynamics. I love how strong he does try in not caving quickly to his feelings for Olympia and tries to stay loyal to his friend but eventually, he does cave and boy is that as sexy as sin? Their dynamics are quite unique as they are very opposite from each other but I adored both characters. Both are strong-willed and stubborn at times, but at the heart of it, they both are solid good-hearted and generous human beings and their love story just really sparks fire and deep emotion.

Overall I found myself addicted to this unique love story of opposites attract, witty bantering you won’t get enough of, and a romance to steal your heart in delicious ways!! ( )
  addictofromance | Jan 1, 2020 |

Olympia is dangerously close to being on the shelf but when she serendipitously catches the attention of a duke, she has a chance to help her large family from financial ruin.
The Duke of Ripley is doing all he can to help his bestfriend not flub up his wedding but he should have been paying attention to the bride. When he sees her make a run for it, he chases her.
They're not meant to be together but they also wouldn't have it any other way.

He was trying desperately to find a way out of whatever it was he'd got himself into.

The first in a new series, A Duke in Shining Armor introduces us to the three Dis-Graces, dukes who have a bit of a tainted reputation because of the antics they have gotten up to over the years. The Duke of Ashmont has the face of angel but a bit of a drinking problem. Through some reverse psychology his uncle gets him to really pay attention to Olympia and offer for her. Just returned from a trip on the continent our hero, the Duke of Ripley, has come across Olympia at balls and such but tried to keep his attention of her to the peripheral as he wasn't ready to grow up yet. This latent attraction becomes the source of his problem.

This is a road romance that from page one hits the ground running and doesn't let up into well into the second half of the book. Ripley and Olympia have a bit of madcap adventures as they constantly spout wit back and forth. It gave them some spark but the duration and focus of it, came at the expense of some depth. Their dialogue had a tendency to come off as them talking at each other instead of with and I had a hard time getting to know them.

He'd said things and looked at her in ways other men didn't, and the combination had started to make her think she wasn't altogether the young woman she'd always believed she was. She knew rakes were dangerous but she hadn't understood how subtle the danger could be. Her ideas about a great many subjects were threatening revolution.

Along with their dialogue lacking exploring other emotions for most of the book, the vast majority (I think the last 5% goes a week into the future) takes place within 4 days, the first 50% of the story is the first day. I will say, even with this time frame, it doesn't feel like insta-love, which is a credit to the author's writing. The author has Ripley admit to himself a couple times that he always noticed Olympia and liked her personality and Olympia remembering having a pining moment over Ripley dancing with someone else but we don't get the scenes of a solid emotional growing between beginning attraction that I personally look for and enjoy.

"What are you doing?" he said.
"I'm being unsubtle," she said.

With the hero and heroine busy being witty and flitting around, I never gained a strong grasp of who they were. Olympia was probably the stronger of the two with her large family driving her to marriage and feeling like she didn't belong because she was voted the most boring debutante years in a row, which felt brought up more than enough. Her love of books and categorizing books is discussed but I would have liked some family interaction scenes or if she had friends; scenes that help show more personality and different nuances of a character. Ripley is given a very vague bad past with an ill father and though he has scenes with his friends, the Duke of Ashmont who's bride he's accidentally stealing and his brother-in-law the Duke of Blackwood, we're not shown how they became friends or what really binds them together. I was left with a lot of questions regarding Ripley and who he was.

Ripley was a disgrace and had been for years, but this had to be the worst thing he'd done in his life.
Yet it seemed to him the best thing he'd ever done.

The last 15% or so was more of what I was looking for, Ripley and Olympia seemed to talk with each other more and I began to feel their emotional connection, but it would have been great to have that start more towards the middle of the book. They also start to hit the sheets more but I frankly could have done with more of the platonic growing together at the time. Ashmont definitely doesn't shine here but as I'm sure he'll get the chance to be a hero of his own book, his redemption will interesting. The other friend Blackwood and his wife (Ripley's sister) seemingly have a secret frosty relationship that raises a lot of questions. With all the dukes running around, even I started to get fatigued but it's still a hard title to say no to. In a very small side story that managed to kind of steal the show for me, Ripley’s aunt seems to have a very interesting hurt and angry past with Ashmont’s uncle. The emotion and tension could be cut with a knife whenever the two were in a room and I’m greatly looking forward to seeing what comes of them.

With a bit too much wit and one-upping sarcasm for its own good and short time duration, this didn't start providing enough emotional building blocks for me until closer at the end. This author's writing is always engaging though and if you're in the mood for a quick paced witty back and forth, this definitely would provide. ( )
  WhiskeyintheJar | Feb 14, 2019 |
a light fluffy read. Good banter and chemistry. Liked the characters. ( )
  otkac001 | Jan 20, 2019 |
Lady Olympia Hightower is set to marry the Duke of Ashmont. What should be a happy and joyous occasion, turns out into a total disaster (but in a good way). Olympia should be thrilled to be marrying the Duke as she is already nearing six and twenty, with no other suitors or offers of marriage. She should be happy that someone is finally interested in her, especially being that he is a Duke and she is, well, a bit of a wallflower. Her biggest accomplishment of seven seasons was being voted as the Most Boring Girl of the Season. So, Olympia can see why she jumped at the chance to marry the Duke. She does have six brothers to consider and she does not want to become a burden to them in the eventuality that she never weds. Too bad the Duke of Ashmont is a bit of an ass and so immature it makes her nine year old brother look like more of an adult. So what is a girl to do in this situation? Run on the day of her wedding, of course!

Hugh Philemon Ancaster, seventh Duke of Ripley has been set to the task as a groomsmen not even one day being back in London from the Continent. The wedding has come as quite the shock to him as men of his ilk (the Dis-Graces) did not marry gently bred ladies such as Olympia. The night before the wedding the Duke of Ripley, along with his two best friends the Duke of Ashmont, and the Duke of Blackwood, his fellow Dis-Graces, are well and truly drunk. It is left to the Duke of Ripley to make sure that Ashmont arrives at the wedding and that everything goes smoothly. Now, that he finally has Ashmont at the wedding on time, there is no sign of the bride. While Ashmont is getting more intoxicated as the minutes start flying by, Ripley decides its best that he go in search of the bride before all hell breaks lose. Imagine his surprise when he finds Olympia trying to escape through a window and into the rain. What is a groomsmen supposed to do in a situation like this, you ask? Why chase after the bride of course!

…….and this is where the fun begins!

Loretta Chase has always been one of my go-to authors. I have never been disappointed with any of her books and A DUKE IN SHINING ARMOR is no different. I found myself not being able to put the book down and staying up way later than I ever planned to. The story is filled with humor and laugh out loud moments which leave you wanting to keep reading just so you can laugh some more over their antics. I found myself immersed in the story and really invested in the two main characters and their HEA. Loretta Chase’s writing style flows effortlessly and this is just one of the many things I have always loved about this author. The plot is very much character driven and I felt that I really got the chance to delve deep into their lives. All and all, this was one fantastic read and should not be missed.

A DUKE IN SHINING ARMOR is such a great start to the Difficult Dukes series and I, for one, can not wait for the second installment. ( )
  RobynReo | Aug 15, 2018 |
Very disappointing. I usually lose Chase's books. This is the first one that I really didn't like. Not so much that I wouldn't read it or throw it against the wall, but I was bored at parts The books seems to be centered more around lust and desire than about the characters being able to appreciate each other. Some sex/lust is necessary in a romance, even a Regency romance but this one had very little else. There was some action, some humor, some interest to the characters but just not enough. I hope the other books in the trilogy will be better. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Jun 5, 2018 |

Loretta Chaseprimary authorall editionscalculated
Caroti, GuidoCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ribes, FrederickaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Duke of Ashmont was not a very good duke--rather an awful one, actually.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,576,092 books! | Top bar: Always visible