Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds

Long Way Down

by Jason Reynolds

English (50)  Dutch (1)  All languages (51)
A book-length elevator ride, as Will leaves his apartment, armed with a gun, to avenge his older brother's shooting death. On the way down, important people in his life get on the elevator to heighten his awareness of what has happened and the path he's planning to take. ( )
  sleahey | Apr 15, 2019 |
So, like I’ve said before: Jason Reynolds.

That's really all I need to say, but since I'm reviewing books as I go this year, I should probably give you a little bit more, so I'll just give you a few lines from the Goodreads blurb that should stop you thinking for a second, and then you can add it to the "audiobooks read by the author that I have to listen to ASAP" list:
"An ode to Put the Damn Guns Down" and "sixty potent seconds—the time it takes a kid to decide whether or not he's going to murder the guy who killed his brother."

So good. So powerful. Read it, and better yet, listen to it. ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Apr 8, 2019 |
loved this book! Jason Reynolds does it again. novel in verse told in a 60 second time span... the time it takes to ride down an elevator. ( )
  EBassett | Mar 20, 2019 |
“MY MOTHER USED TO SAY,

I know you're young,
gotta get it out,
but just remember, when
you're walking in the nighttime,
make sure the nighttime
ain't walking into you.”

Will is fifteen. His brother was recently killed. He wants revenge. That is the rules. This excellent novel, told in verse, all happens in one minute, as Will rides an elevator, to avenge his brother's death. This is my first experience with Reynolds and it will not be my last. I am glad to see how prolific he is. This also worked wonderfully on audio, with the author nailing the delivery.

"I FELT LIKE CRYING

feet kicking
my throat at the spot
where the swallow
starts.

Stay put, I whispered to him,
Stay strong, I whispered to me.

Because crying
is against

The Rules."
1 vote msf59 | Mar 3, 2019 |
Long Way Down focuses on a one-minute decision of revenge. Will’s older brother, Shawn, has been murdered and according to rule number three of the streets, “If someone you love gets killed, find the person who killed them and kill them. Revenge: Do. No matter what.” As Will contemplates his decision on the elevator ride down to the lobby, he is visited by the ghosts of loved ones killed as a result of gun violence. Each ghost begs Will to reconsider his decision and explain that not all the rules of the street are to be followed. When Will reaches the lobby, the doors open, and he must make his decision. ( )
  carrieludwig | Feb 18, 2019 |

As Will, fifteen, sets out to avenge his brother Shawn's fatal shooting, seven ghosts who knew Shawn board the elevator and reveal truths Will needs to know.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,110,830 books! | Top bar: Always visible