Light It Up

by Nick Petrie

Series: Peter Ash (3)

Combat veteran Peter Ash leaves a simple life rebuilding hiking trails in Oregon to help his good friend Henry Nygaard, whose daughter runs a Denver security company that protects cash-rich cannabis entrepreneurs from modern-day highwaymen. Henry's son-in-law and the company's operations manager were carrying a large sum of client money when their vehicle vanished without a trace, leaving Henry's daughter and her company vulnerable.… (more)

Peter Ash goes to Denver to help a friend, who's daughter runs Heavy Metal, a security company that protects shipments and cash from cannabis businesses. His team is hijacked. All the members of the team but Peter are killed or die shortly after. Thus begins Perter's search for who is responsible. Light It Up has car chases, shoot outs and fights enough to keep the pages turning. ( )
  lewilliams | Jul 15, 2020 |
4.5 stars.

Light It Up by Nick Petrie is an action-packed, edge of the seat thrill ride from start to finish. This third installment in the Peter Ash series easily stands on its own but I HIGHLY recommend the entire series.

Combat veteran and former Marine Peter Ash is still working to overcome his post-traumatic stress disorder which causes severe claustrophobia and anxiety attacks when he is indoors.  After meeting June Cassidy several months ago, he has been getting help for his PTSD in hopes of turning their long distance relationship into a lasting romance. On his way to see June, Peter is sidetracked when his friend, Vietnam veteran Henry Nygaard, asks for his assistance when his son-in-law Randy goes missing during a cash run for legalized marijuana businesses in Denver. Peter teams up with Henry and two other vets to make the same cash run in hopes of locating Randy, but he barely escapes with his life after the security detail is hijacked.  Under suspicion by the local authorities, he, June and his close friend Lewis are hot on the trail of the hijackers but the case becomes personal when someone close to Peter becomes a target of the ruthless criminals.

Peter is intensely loyal to the people he cares about and he will do anything to help them when they are in trouble. So of course he is more than willing to help Henry try to figure out what happened to Randy but they don't have any idea how dangerous this endeavor will become.  In the aftermath, Peter wants answers and he quickly deduces there is much more to the hijacking than just robbery since the payout to the robbers is rather insignificant. Digging deeper into the company whose money was stolen, Peter stumbles across some very troubling information. Little does he know, his path is about to cross with someone from his distant past, a sociopath and a diabolical businessman who are determined to ensure Peter does not catch them. Their final showdown turns deadly and Peter must outsmart a vicious and extremely dangerous killer in order to prevent further murder and mayhem.

With an adrenaline-fueled storyline, a brilliant lead protagonist and an outstanding cast of supporting characters, Light It Up is a fast-paced, suspense-laden thriller. The novel is well-written with a cleverly-executed plot and a puzzling mystery to solve. Peter Ash is a formidable hero with a sharp mind whose combat skills make him a force to be reckoned with as he tries to uncover the truth about the hijacking.  With exciting plot twists, plenty of action and a few unexpected turns, Nick Petrie brings the novel to a breathtaking, spectacular finale. Another exhilarating addition to the Peter Ash series that fans of the genre are going to LOVE. ( )
  kbranfield | Feb 3, 2020 |
I won an ARC in a GOODREADS giveaway! #GoodreadsGiveaway ( )
  tenamouse67 | Jul 21, 2018 |
I enjoyed this book! This book reads like an action movie in a lot of ways. It was exciting and there are so many adrenaline filled scenes that keep the excitement level high. This is the third book in the Peter Ash series but I do think that it could be read as a stand alone since it tells its own story. I had such a good time reading this book and found it to be quite the page turner.

Peter is such a great character. I almost think that he can do anything after reading this book. He is smart. resourceful, and incredibly tough. I am not sure that a real man could do all the things that Peter was able to accomplish in this book but I don't care since it was such a fun read. Peter must deal PTSD as a result of some of the things he has seen and done as a Marine. For Peter, this manifests as claustrophobia and he cannot stand to be inside for long which adds an interesting twist to things. Most of this book happens outside so it didn't come up quite as much in this installment but there were a few scenes where it did come up.

The mystery in this book was interesting and fairly complex. I can tell you that I had no idea how things would work out. There were some people that I didn't trust as much as others but I had no idea how they might be involved. This was a multiple layered mystery and as soon as one puzzle was closer to being solved another would begin. The legal cannabis industry was a big part of the story which thought provoking. It was really nice to read such an original and unique story.

I enjoyed seeing a couple of characters from previous books play a role in this story. Lewis has been around since the first book and he is back for some action again in this story. I really enjoy seeing Lewis and Peter work together and think that they make a really great team. June played a big role in the last book and plays a key role once again. I really liked seeing the development in their relationship in this installment. There were some new characters in this book as well. The chapters that were from told from the point of view of the culprits were my least favorite parts of the book simply because I didn't enjoy spending time in their heads.

I would recommend this book to others. This is a great installment to an exciting and action packed series. Once I got started reading, I didn't want to set the book aside because I had to know how Peter would save the day. I can't wait to read more from Nick Petrie!

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Penguin Group - Putnam G.P. Putnam's Sons via NetGalley. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Jan 15, 2018 |
Find more in Chill and read

“Light it up” is the third book in the Peter Ash Series and it is the first book in the series that I have read. However, it was not difficult for me to understand the main character, the book atmosphere or follow the story.

Peter Ash is a former Marin. He is back in the States now, but he is suffering from PTSD, meaning that he has such a nasty claustrophobia, he cannot stay inside four walls for as much as more than 20 minutes, without freaking out. Therefore he stays in the woods, rebuilding hiking trails in Oregon, along with a newly acquired friend, Henry, a veteran like himself. Henry’s daughter is running a security company which protects cash-rich cannabis entrepreneurs from modern-day highwaymen. So when her husband and his crew are gone missing on an assignment, Henry turns to help her and asks for Peter’s support. While the two friends are on an assignment, they get attacked probably by the same hijackers that attacked the other company vehicle. As gunshots start to fly around, Peter starts to wonder, is it worth it to risk his life for that money? He would however, risk everything for his friend’s life.

After cannabis legalization, a whole new legal business has been set up in the states. It is a way through for those working with it outside the law. Now they can make it legal and still keep growing and selling it. The only catch is that the business is not supported by the banking system, so all exchanges must be made in cash. This raises the need for a safekeeping place for all that cash, as well as guarding and security services. This is were new security businesses come up, however, at the same time there is a new opportunity for those that want to benefit without effort. Grab the cash and walk away.

The story is very well told. Amazing big screen scenes all over the book, while at the same time there is great character building. Peter Ash is a marine, but he is much more than that. He is a thinking person, one that has definitely been through a lot and he has learned to appreciate things and take nothing for granted. He is the honest guy, the one you can trust with your life, the person that would do anything for his mates. To keep them safe. To make sure the return home on their own, not in a box.

Apart from the fascinating story and plot, the action and the military part of the book, there are also other aspects of the hero layed out. He is a troubled person, as one would expect, based on his experiences and PTSD, but he is trying to become normal again and live his life like everyone else. The author gives a glimpse of his mind and as well as his feeling. He has met a woman in the previous book which he likes, so he puts an effort to be able to be with her like everyone else would.

Peter Ash is a character that is going to be around for a while and I would most definitely like to read more of Nick Petrie’s books! ( )
  GeorgiaKo | Jan 15, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,802,081 books! | Top bar: Always visible