The Long and Short of It

by Jodi Taylor

Series: The Chronicles of St Mary's (8.3 short story collection), The Chronicles of St Mary's {Chronological Order} (short story collection)

Follow the disaster magnets of St Mary's as they hurtle around history! The ninth book in The Chronicles of St Mary's Series collects the bestselling short stories in print for the first time.   When a Child is Born A jump back to 1066 to witness the coronation of William the Conqueror goes slightly astray. Roman Holiday Max and her team become spectacularly involved with Julius Caesar, Cleopatra and a basket of confused asps. Christmas Present An attempt to rescue lost historians involving an enraged pig and Boudicca herself. The Very First Damned Thing Discover the truth about the very beginning of St Mary s. Ships and Stings and Wedding Rings A gun left behind in Ancient Egypt and a race against time to prevent a catastrophe. The Great St Mary s Day Out Hooray! It s a happy holiday. For everyone except Max the only one with her mind on the job. My Name is Markham Alfred, the cakes and Mr Markham. The Great British Bake Off it s not! And a bonus a new and previously unpublished short story. … (more)

I really lucked out when I pick this up at the library. I could not put it down, read it straight through when I got home. It has everything - comedy, sci-fi. . . Even if something mysterious that I want to find out more about.
Taylor is an excellent writer. She has great characters, who are well-developed and interesting and her plots are super. The history is just an added bonus. But when I say history, don't get the idea that this is any kind of a dry old historical novel oh, it is anything but! ( )
  LeslieHolm | May 19, 2022 |
Short stories of St. Mary's. Minimal fatalities, though there are references to one here and there and some awkward moments. ( )
  quondame | Feb 13, 2021 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

The Long and Short of It collects all short stories from St. Mary's up until A Perfect Storm. Having read all of the previous stories (they are reviewed under their titles), I was curious for A Perfect Storm, which has since been released on it's own as well.

I've always liked these short stories and would recommend them to fans of the series that haven't started on them yet but sticked to the normal books. While not necessary to follow the main story, it really adds something to the series! ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
Enjoyed the short stories. They filled in some of the holes from the books. I would read them again in future which is quite a compliment. I particularly enjoyed the Shakespeare story. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Oct 3, 2019 |
A splendid array of short stories that serve as wonderful vignettes for Jodi Taylor's excellent series. All excellent and some real gems; A child is Born, My Name is Markham and the Very First Damned Thing ( )
  jamespurcell | Sep 11, 2019 |

Jodi Taylorprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ramm, ZaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,327,366 books! | Top bar: Always visible