Close to Home (2017)

by Robert Dugoni

Series: Tracy Crosswhite (5)

New York Times bestselling author Robert Dugoni's acclaimed series continues as Tracy Crosswhite is thrown headlong into the path of a killer conspiracy. While investigating the hit-and-run death of a young boy, Seattle homicide detective Tracy Crosswhite makes a startling discovery: the suspect is an active-duty serviceman at a local naval base. After a key piece of case evidence goes missing, he is cleared of charges in a military court. But Tracy knows she can't turn her back on this kind of injustice. When she uncovers the driver's ties to a rash of recent heroin overdoses in the city, she realizes that this isn't just a case of the military protecting its own. It runs much deeper than that, and the accused wasn't acting alone. For Tracy, it's all hitting very close to home. As Tracy moves closer to uncovering the truth behind this insidious conspiracy, she's putting herself in harm's way. And the only people she can rely on to make it out alive might be those she can no longer trust.… (more)

The first 70% of this book was D-U-double hockey sticks. At best two stars; however, the last 30% rocked, perhaps 4.5 stars. What's the deal? First of all, Tracy Crosswhite is practically absent until the end. She is investigating a vehicular homicide of young black kid on his way home from playing basketball at a local gym. The other primary story involved fellow homicide detective Del, whose niece died of a heroin overdose. Secondly, the book seems to repeat itself, told in real time and at trial. Third, while timely and well-researched, it's a bit too preachy about the opiate epidemic affecting all stratum of society. The story about the JAG officer Battles was pretty good, and become very good when the two storylines fused, and Tracy brought it all together, using her mad skills as a detective. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
I knew going in that this episode in the series wasn't great. I still thought it was better than the previous one but not by all that much.

There were plenty of bullshit moments with regard to just about every aspect of the handling of the two cases and the plot. Lots of eye rolling and mentally yelling at the characters - and sometimes the author - but I held out because the personal aspects of the book held my attention. Even though much of it was predictable. I'm not terribly thrilled that Battles is being set up to be a regular addition to the cast, either.

The narrator didn't do anything to make me happier. Her accents, particularly the two Italian detectives, were super annoying and everything Battles said made her sound like an insufferable asshole. She she sort of was but the tone wasn't necessary every damn time she said or thought something.

I think I'll try reading the next one with my eyes if the same narrator is used. ( )
  amcheri | May 25, 2021 |
This is the latest in the Tracy Crosswhite series set in Seattle and Bremerton. Could be read as a standalone. Tracy Crosswhite & partner Kinsington Rowe are initially mystified when they’re assigned to a fatal hit & run. But when their investigation points to an employee at a local Navy base, things get complicated. Dugoni revisits familiar characters and introduces two new people. Fun read. ( )
  buffalogr | Oct 3, 2020 |
I was not sure that I would like this book or not. I have felt that the spark has gone out of this series while reading the last couple of books, and the one before this one was a real struggle to finish. However, I decided to give this series one more chance since I did like the first book very much.

So, how was it? To be honest, did I struggle at first with the book. The story did feel better than in the previous book, but I was several times mentally debating if I should stop reading or not since the story didn't offer any big surprises and it felt a bit sluggish. However, the story picked up when Dugoni decided to twist the story in a way that I did not foresee (thanks to not reading the blurb before starting the book) and then it got much better.

I'm not a big fan of reading about drugs, but one of the cops nieces overdosed before the events in this book, and for him did it get very personal to stop the deadly heroin from killing more people than it had already done by then. Then, we have the kid that was killed by a hit-and-run driver that case is also tragic. I was a bit surprised about how much of the story the blurb gives away. As I wrote before did I did not read the blurb before starting the book. I seldom do since they often give away too much information. And, here I was painstakingly trying to keep spoilers to the minimum and the blurb gives away several key factors. Why do I even bother? Anyway, I'm glad that I had not read the blurb before, that made some things more surprising and kept me interested in continuing reading the book.

Close to Home is an upswing from the book before. Not as interesting as the first book in the series, but interesting enough that I will read the next book in the series, especially because the way the book ended...

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
This is the latest in the Tracy Crosswhite series set in Seattle but could be read as a standalone. There are two main threads in the novel that begins with a hit and run that turns out to be so much more and the increasing fatal heroin ODs in the city, especially among high school students. Tracy and the "A Team" are called in to investigate the hit and run, especially as the black community are paying close attention and fear that once again it will be a case of black lives don't matter.

Tracy and Kins Rowe are looking into a hit and run that killed the 12 year old D'Andre Miller. They manage to track down and arrest a suspect, who turns out to be in the military, and is based at a local Naval base. The Navy claim jurisdiction and manage to get the case transferred to a military court. When a major piece of evidence disappears and the suspect is cleared, Tracy refuses to let this injustice go and digs deeper. When she uncovers what appears to be a conspiracy, danger to her and others comes about. In the other story, Del is grieving while struggling to come to terms with the fatal heroin overdose that claimed his niece. With his partner, Vic Fazzio, he is determined to hunt down the dealer and look into a rise in the number of deaths due to a deadly heroin that is causing ODs in the city.

This is a well plotted and gripping story that has me hooked from the start. I liked that we got to know Kins and Del better in this book. We also meet a new character, Celia, who Del is beginning to date. There is plenty of humour and glimpses into the everyday lives of the team. It is nice to see them as real, with Tracy's fertility concerns, Kins' health scares and the meeting of Del's extended family (especially his nephews). There were issues dealt with in this story, but especially the heroin trafficking and addiction. Be sure to read the Author's acknowledgments where he talks about this. Also the issue of crimes against African Americans, how they are investigated and handled by law enforcement, including the military are probed with both sides of the story getting equal time. Once again, Robert Dugoni has penned a thriller that kept me up late into the night wanting to find out where this story was going. I was very satisfied when this story ended, with all the ends tied up and the reader sated. Well done! This was another read and listen book from Kindle Unlimited and I enjoyed the narration. It was well paced, with good expression. I highly recommend this story to lovers of thrillers and suspense. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,527,608 books! | Top bar: Always visible