The Case for Jamie by Brittany Cavallaro

The Case for Jamie

by Brittany Cavallaro

A year after August's death, Jamie and Charlotte are manipulated into reforming their detective team by someone who wants to see them suffer. Jamie is going through the motions at Sherringford, trying to finish his senior year without incident, with a nice girlfriend he can't seem to fall for. Charlotte is on the run, from Lucien Moriarty and from her own mistakes. No one has seen her since that fateful night on the lawn in Sussex-- and Charlotte wants it that way. She knows she isn't safe to be around. She knows her Watson can't forgive her. Holmes and Watson may not be looking to reconcile, but when strange things start happening, it's clear that someone wants the team back together. Someone who has been quietly observing them both. Making plans. Biding their time. Someone who wants to see one of them suffer and the other one dead.… (more)

Charlotte and Jamie have been apart for a year but strange happenings conspire to bring them back together. But there is a lot to work through and someone is out to get them. One thing that illustrated just how much Jamie has suffered since August's death is when his friends scold him for holding them at arms length and being such a loner. I liked that they stuck with him, even so. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Apr 7, 2019 |
It took me longer to get into this book than it did with the first two. I know the reason, Watson and Holmes were barely together in this story. I missed their interactions so much. Of course I knew they’d reconnect eventually but I felt like it took way longer than I wanted it too.

Separately Jamie and Charlotte’s stories are interesting but the dialogue and the pace of the story only pick up when these two are in touch with each other.

More Jamie and Charlotte time please.

Also, I think something was off with the punctuation. Most of the time, when someone asked a question there was a period instead of a question mark. Sorry, that bugs me because I can’t quite picture the tone of the person talking.

I noticed as I was starting this book that there is a fourth book in this series. What a great surprise! I’m just going to say, I hope the next one starts with Jamie and Charlotte in each other’s lives and continues that way throughout the story. These two make a fantastic pair, whether as a couple, or best friends, they make excellent partners. ( )
  Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |
This novel is #3 in the series. It would be hand to have read book two in order to understand what’s going on--and it would ruin book two if you went back to read it.

Jamie is back at Sherringford, trying not to think about what happened a year ago with August Moriarty. He hasn’t spoken to Charlotte and doesn’t think that the wants to, but she haunts his thoughts. Does he want to talk to her and move on with his life? He has spent the last year bringing up his GPA because he truly wants to get into a good college to study writing. He also has a girlfriend who is very patient with his PTSD from that night. Someone has decided to gaslight Jamie--things happen to make him wonder what is going on. Who is targeting him and why? Could it possibly be a Moriary?

Charlotte has spent the last year on her own, refusing to correspond with most people. She has her contact at Sherringford to let her know what’s going on there and she has a contact at Scotland Yard. Otherwise, no one, including her uncle, knows what she is doing. What she’s been doing is trying to get Lucien Moriarty’s attention. She’s been obvious, but he hasn’t taken the bait. She has also spent a lot of time analyzing herself and what happened that fateful night. She has accepted that she’ll probably never have a relationship with Jamie, but she still hopes unconsciously.

Most of the novel has Charlotte and Jamie separated because they need to deal with the demons of that night on their own and then determine if they can be with the other. Eventually circumstances do dictate that they re-encounter each other. This book was my least favorite of the three because their back-and-forth banter is what is compelling, but I also understand that for character and relationship development, they had to be separated. I still liked the book and wanted to keep listening without pause. I eagerly await book four, which will publish in the spring of 2019. ( )
  acargile | Oct 8, 2018 |
I hadn’t liked the ending of The Last of August and was feeling somewhat unenthusiastic about this trilogy, but The Case for Jamie was immediately engaging. It’s a year since Jamie Watson last saw Charlotte Holmes. Jamie is focusing on his final year of high school and trying, not completely successfully, to get on with life. Meanwhile, Charlotte is on her own, adopting different disguises and working to bring a Moriarty to justice.

This is a fast-paced and satisfying mystery in which all the details contribute to the larger story. I liked how it dealt with the aftermath of the previous book.
It’s also a story about Charlotte and Jamie navigating what it means for them, personally, to be a Holmes and a Watson -- for Charlotte in particular, that means getting perspective on what her family taught her to be -- and working out their own Holmes-and-Watson relationship. I liked that idea that different generations of Holmeses and Watsons have had slightly different relationships because there’s something meta-ish about it: in our world, there have been different interpretations and portrayals of the original Holmes and Watson, and so over the years people have had different ideas about their relationship…

There aren’t a lot of benefits to being framed for murder. Once I would’ve told you that meeting Charlotte Holmes was the only good thing that came out of that mess. But that was my former self speaking, the one who mythologized that girl until I couldn’t see the person beneath the story I’d made up.
If I couldn’t see her for what she was, what she’d been all along, then I’d had trouble seeing myself clearly as well. It’s not an uncommon delusion, the one I had. The Great Big Destiny delusion. That your life is a story that twists and turns its way up to a narrative precipice, a climax, the moment where you’ll make the hard decision, defeat the villain, finally prove yourself worthy.
  Herenya | Jul 8, 2018 |
I can no longer keep up with what Holmes book this may actually be a nod to, but I really liked the movement of the characters in this story, even though Jamie and Charlotte were apart for most of it. Told in alternating chapters, we learn how life has continued after Charlotte's brother shoots August Moriarty in the last book. Jamie has continued his studies at Sherringford, navigating senior year and trying to normalize his love life with a 'regular' girl. Charlotte is sort of undercover, delving into Lucien Moriarty's aliases, and keeping a low profile from the real world. I liked the outcomes as the story started to overlap and found Jamie's dad and Leander Holmes' longtime friendship to be expanded in this book. The denouement was clever and nothing short of awesome. ( )
  ethel55 | May 10, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,326,333 books! | Top bar: Always visible