Force of Nature

by Jane Harper

Series: Aaron Falk (2)

When five colleagues are forced to go on a corporate retreat in the wilderness, they reluctantly pick up their backpacks and start walking down the muddy path. But one of the women doesn't come out of the woods. And each of her companions tells a slightly different story about what happened. Federal Police Agent Aaron Falk has a keen interest in the whereabouts of the missing hiker. In an investigation that takes him deep into isolated forest, Falk discovers secrets lurking in the mountains, and a tangled web of personal and professional friendship, suspicion, and betrayal among the hikers. But did that lead to murder?… (more)

English (120)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (124)
So, is this book as fabulous The Dry? Definitely! Honestly, I found this book to be perhaps even better. There is just something tantalizing thrilling about this story, to follow the investigation led by Aaron Falk as he probes the remaining four women's stories while they search for the missing woman. Interwoven with Falk's story are the women's stories from day one when they are off to hiking as a team-building exercise. Only the five women are hardly friends, and there is tension from start.

Force of Nature is a thrilling page-turner. As always with thrillers is it hard to write a review since the less you know is the best. However, I will say this that both storylines are equally good. You know that something bad will happen during the hike since it's already been established at the beginning of the book that one of the women, Alice, is missing. But, why and where is she? What happened during the hike? What are the women hiding? You can really feel the tension rising among the women as the story progresses and you definitely feel that they are hiding something as Falk interrogates them.

Jane Harper is a fantastic writer and I'm thrilled to have given a chance to read this book. One thing I especially like is the setting of Australia. It's so refreshing to read books set down under. I can't wait to find out what's next for Aaron Falk. This is a series that keep on getting stronger and I'm really looking forward to the next book!

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Jul 23, 2022 |
Aaron Falk is back, but this time he's called to the Bush to investigate the disappearance of a woman who was about to turn over a bunch of contracts critical to his criminal investigation of her employer. But now a corporate team building even in the wilderness has gone spectacularly wrong, and the woman is missing--or worse. With his capable partner Carmen, Falk becomes part of the search as the novel shifts between the present and the four days the five women were on their supposed-to-be easy trek. It is an effective story, and the characters are fairly interesting, but compared to the suspense of The Dry, in which Falk himself was a prime participant in the plot line--not just a detective, Force of Nature falls a bit short. At times, it is just a bit contrived in search of drama--but maybe I'm not an expert on what 5 women lost in the Bush might chooser to fight about. The way the whole hike is set up is messed up, too. For example, food is waiting in the base caps--but not the cylinder of gas to cook it?

The audiobook was extremely well read by Stephen Shanahan. ( )
  datrappert | Jul 19, 2022 |
I’d been waiting to read this since I finished Harper’s excellent first novel ‘The Dry’ and have had it on order from the library for months. In the end I didn’t enjoy this quite as much as ‘The Dry’, but it’s still a gripping, well written thriller with a decent mystery and believable characters. The story alternates between the back story, 5 women on a corporate team building event in the bush, and the investigation of the disappearance of one of those women by Aaron Falk.
What’s lacking this time round is the wonderful depiction of a small town that characterised ‘The Dry’, but Harper does still manage to weave in more detail of Falk’s past which works well. I look forward to the next book in the series. ( )
  whatmeworry | Apr 9, 2022 |
"Het mysterieuze, de opbouwende spanning, het langzaam ontplooien van de karakters, dit alles zat verweven in dit boek en kon me enorm boeien."
https://elinevandm.wordpress.com/2021/05/14/wildernis-van-jane-harper-4/ ( )
  elinevandm | Mar 31, 2022 |
(62) This was a really well-written mystery - the second in the Aaron Falk series. He is a detective from the Sydney who investigates financial crimes but is originally from the Outback. The landscape figures in this installment too just as in the first. However, this is easily a stand-alone novel. Five women hike into the bush on a corporate bonding nature retreat and only 4 come out. Agent Falk is pulled in as it appears the missing woman called him last. And so spins a tale of recounting the women's last several days lost in the woods from differing perspectives, alternating with Falk's narration of his role in the case.

Harper does a nice job with atmosphere, setting, and characterization and keeps the dramatic tension right where it should be. It kept me guessing and thinking and I really did not figure it all out. Just solid story-telling and plot development - much like 'The Dry'. Love an mystery/thriller author with some literary merit (agree with the Tana French comparison.) I practically read the book in two sittings and it was quite satisfying.

Count me officially a fan. I think I have read all of her mysteries now and will eagerly await the next. ( )
  jhowell | Nov 16, 2021 |

Jane Harperprimary authorall editionscalculated
Shanahan, SteveNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For Pete and Charlotte, with love
Later, the four remaining women could fully agree on only two things.

But one of the women doesn’t come out of the woods. And each of her companions tells a slightly different story about what happened.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,023,831 books! | Top bar: Always visible