Force of Nature by Jane Harper

Force of Nature

by Jane Harper

Series: Aaron Falk (2)

Recently added byrena75, laisyleeola, private library, brenzi, Mort1962

English (73)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (75)
Force of Nature is Jane Harper’s second novel featuring Australian Federal Agent, Aaron Falk. Her first, The Dry, was a phenomenal success (you can read my review here) and Force of Nature is a solid follow up.

In Force of Nature, Falk, and his new partner Carmen Cooper, are investigating a company for money laundering. They are expecting to wrap the case in a matter of days, with help from insider, Alice Russell, when she goes missing during a corporate retreat.

The story unfolds through multiple perspectives, as it moves between the events leading up to Alice’s disappearance and the current active investigation. This allows Harper to introduce several possible motives for Alice’s disappearance, and develop an interesting mystery that kept me guessing until the end. Though I thought the pace was a little slow to begin with, the tension builds incrementally, and the plot is elegantly resolved.

Falk didn’t have the strong presence in this novel that I was expecting. He is peripheral to most of the action, and there were no new insights offered into his character. Neither was his partner, Carmen, particularly memorable.

I think I may have been more invested in the story if I had liked Alice. Though well drawn, she is an unpleasant character and I didn’t much care whether she was found, or not. I didn’t have any difficulty visualising Alice’s companions on the hike, Harper’s characterisations, and the dynamics between them, were interesting and complex.

Set largely in the Giralang Ranges of Victoria, Harper does a commendable
job of evoking the close, wet, and disorientating atmosphere of the Australian bush. As in The Dry, the setting is not simply the background of the story, but an integral part of it.

Force of Nature is well written, with a mystery that is skillfully crafted and compelling. I’m looking forward to Harper’s next Book in the series ( )
  shelleyraec | Apr 11, 2019 |
Jane Harper proves that her debut novel “The Dry” was not a fluke. “Force of Nature” is an excellent crime thriller and shows Harper in fine form in this second novel in the Aaron Falk series.

Aaron and his partner Carmen are called out to a wilderness retreat, where a corporate team-building exercise has taken a turn for the worse. Five women went into the wilderness, and only four returned. Where is the missing woman, and what happened?

Harper is a master of atmospheric description, which she demonstrated in “The Dry.” She is so good at pulling the reader into the book’s setting that in “Force of Nature” I could really feel myself there in the cold rain and unyielding wilderness. And even with so many characters to deal with in this book, Harper manages to do just enough character development to make the reader care about what happens to each one.

I look forward to Ms. Harper’s next book! ( )
  niaomiya | Apr 3, 2019 |
Second of the Aaron Falk Australian crime mystery series. An informant in a financial fraud case goes missing during an executive adventure retreat with her company. Five women are in the group who are sent into the bush with no guide and little experience in outdoor survival skills. They range from one of the owners of the company to a data entry person. The missing woman has a brash, impatient personality which provides motive for a lot of people in the book.

Jane Harper writes a good suspense story and in this one she nails the characterizations of the women in the group. I'll be reading (listening to) more of this series. The narrator of the audiobook is good, but the volume tends to go up and down on the version that I had. ( )
  tangledthread | Mar 1, 2019 |
Couldn’t put this one down. Falk returns to investigate what happened to his informant when she disappears on a weekend hike with 4 other women. Suspenseful and well written. Human nature and psychology insights. ( )
  bereanna | Feb 16, 2019 |
Jane Harper writes wonderful novels that take place in Australia. This is the second of the Aaron Falk series. In this, five women go on a job related endurance trip to the outback. One (Alice) goes missing. Falk is a police investigator who happens to be using Alice as an informant to get information about the owners of the company she works for and so he gets involved in the search for her. The novel segues between the narrative of the 4 days the women were in the wilderness and the search taking place to find them. There is a lot going on in the book and Harper does a great job of weaving a suspenseful tale and deepening the portrayal of Falk, as we will continue to see in her subsequent books. ( )
  bogopea | Feb 11, 2019 |

Jane Harperprimary authorall editionscalculated
Shanahan, SteveNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Pete and Charlotte, with love
Later, the four remaining women could fully agree on only two things.

But one of the women doesn’t come out of the woods. And each of her companions tells a slightly different story about what happened.

Federal Police Agent Aaron Falk has a keen interest in the whereabouts of the missing hiker. In an investigation that takes him deep into isolated forest, Falk discovers secrets lurking in the mountains, and a tangled web of personal and professional friendship, suspicion, and betrayal among the hikers. But did that lead to murder? Amazon

When five colleagues are forced to go on a corporate retreat in the wilderness, they reluctantly pick up their backpacks and start walking down the muddy path. But one of the women doesn't come out of the woods. And each of her companions tells a slightly different story about what happened. Federal Police Agent Aaron Falk has a keen interest in the whereabouts of the missing hiker. In an investigation that takes him deep into isolated forest, Falk discovers secrets lurking in the mountains, and a tangled web of personal and professional friendship, suspicion, and betrayal among the hikers. But did that lead to murder?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,182,801 books! | Top bar: Always visible