dismiss

Force of Nature

by Jane Harper

Series: Aaron Falk (2)

When five colleagues are forced to go on a corporate retreat in the wilderness, they reluctantly pick up their backpacks and start walking down the muddy path. But one of the women doesn't come out of the woods. And each of her companions tells a slightly different story about what happened. Federal Police Agent Aaron Falk has a keen interest in the whereabouts of the missing hiker. In an investigation that takes him deep into isolated forest, Falk discovers secrets lurking in the mountains, and a tangled web of personal and professional friendship, suspicion, and betrayal among the hikers. But did that lead to murder?… (more)

English (93)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (96)
I just really like a good murder story, this one was decent but not great, so 4 stars. ( )
  jzw908 | Jun 3, 2020 |
I enjoyed The Dry enough to purchase Force of Nature. While The Dry was Harper's debut, I am enjoying Force of Nature more. The Dry is important to read though as it introduces our main character, Federal Agent Aaron Falk. ( )
  Mary_Mignano | May 15, 2020 |
3.5 * ( )
  gumnut25 | Apr 21, 2020 |
The best kind of novels are both character-driven and plot-driven, not one or the other. That’s what we get with FORCE OF NATURE. This is a mystery in which we learn a tiny bit more and a tiny bit more as the story is told from various characters’ points of view. FORCE OF NATURE is a literary thriller.

Although FORCE OF NATURE isn’t quite as thrilling as THE DRY, Jane Harper’s first mystery/thriller, it does continue with Aaron Falk, the Australian federal agent who is also a main character in THE DRY. Plus, FORCE OF NATURE, while maybe not just as, is still an unputdownable book.

This story involves a missing-person case in which a woman, Alice, has disappeared from her employer-sponsored hiking/camping trip. Although the federal government would not ordinarily bother with a case at this level, Alice has secretly been providing documents to Falk that he needed for his investigation of her employer. He is concerned that her disappearance had something to do with this.

The more we learn about each character and what she did during their hiking/camping trip, the closer we come to an answer. But it is so convoluted, you will only come close. ( )
  techeditor | Mar 31, 2020 |
Five colleagues set off on a corporate wilderness retreat. One woman does not make it out. I tried to listen to this book in audio format, but the book jumped between the retreat and the present and alternated narrators too often to provide a good experience. I never warmed to the main characters, and Peter Falk's investigation took a back seat to the women. Even though I enjoyed listening to Steve Shanahan's Aussie accent, it wasn't enough to keep me engaged. I loved The Dry and wanted to like this one too, but it didn't "click." I might try to read it rather than listen to it in the future, but I will not prioritize it. ( )
  thornton37814 | Mar 11, 2020 |

Jane Harperprimary authorall editionscalculated
Shanahan, SteveNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For Pete and Charlotte, with love
Later, the four remaining women could fully agree on only two things.

But one of the women doesn’t come out of the woods. And each of her companions tells a slightly different story about what happened.

Federal Police Agent Aaron Falk has a keen interest in the whereabouts of the missing hiker. In an investigation that takes him deep into isolated forest, Falk discovers secrets lurking in the mountains, and a tangled web of personal and professional friendship, suspicion, and betrayal among the hikers. But did that lead to murder? Amazon

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,601,033 books! | Top bar: Always visible