Force of Nature

by Jane Harper

Series: Aaron Falk (2)

When five colleagues are forced to go on a corporate retreat in the wilderness, they reluctantly pick up their backpacks and start walking down the muddy path. But one of the women doesn't come out of the woods. And each of her companions tells a slightly different story about what happened. Federal Police Agent Aaron Falk has a keen interest in the whereabouts of the missing hiker. In an investigation that takes him deep into isolated forest, Falk discovers secrets lurking in the mountains, and a tangled web of personal and professional friendship, suspicion, and betrayal among the hikers. But did that lead to murder?… (more)

English (110)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (114)
More like three and a half stars, not bad for the ilk. A respectable diversionary read for me. The blurb is descriptive enough of the storyline. ( )
  LGCullens | Jun 1, 2021 |
This book did not work for me. I read "The Dry" so I looked forward to another book that Included detective Aaron Falk from Harper's "The Dry". Basically, this is about a corporate retreat where 2 sets of executives(5 women, 5 men) set out into the Australian bush for a 3 day team building exercise. On the day of return the men show up on time but the women come back 6 hours late with one missing. The rest of the book is the back story as to what happened on the trail. It bounces back between the women on the trail and the present with Falk and his partner Carmen looking for clues as to what happened. Their involvement is because Alice, the missing woman, was an informant who was helping them get proof of financial wrong doings by her company. Harper tries to create some suspense as to what happens, but she is all over the place. What hurt the book the most is that a mystery should have a plot that is somewhat believable. Having a group of inexperienced hikers on a trail with no communication devices was a tough one for me to accept. Also they couldn't locate a cabin the women had used for shelter even though the women had just hiked out of the bush from that cabin. Harper was trying to deal with all the back stories and in the end there was not much there. If you want to read Harper try "The Dry". I am mystified what the 5 star reviewers saw because I sensed no suspense. This is one of the lowest ratings I have even given a book on library thing. ( )
  nivramkoorb | May 2, 2021 |
Book 2 of Aaron Falk Series - Excellent Murder/Mystery. A group of collegues go on a hiking trip to encourage team building; the group splits up to a men's team and women's team - they are suppose to meet back at a rendezvous place at a certain time Only - 1 women who took off on her own never arrives - it turns out she also is the person working with Fed agent Falk to uncover suspicious money laundering within the company she works for and was expected to provide documents to the investigators for the indictment. Suspicions of who is responsible for the missing woman and will they find her in the dense bush before its too late to save her. Very good and fast paced. ( )
  booklovers2 | Mar 21, 2021 |
Overall, a bit predictable but still enjoyable. Nothing extraordinary stands out to me. I feel it’s not her best work. ( )
  purple_pisces22 | Mar 14, 2021 |
Much like The Dry there are several red herrings in this story to make the reader think there will be a twist, only to find the actual culprit was fairly predictable. That said, I don't think that's a damning criticism because both books are more interested in building characters and studying human nature than in creating a taut whodunnit. If the former is the style you're looking for, you'll probably rate this one higher than I did. ( )
  Jthierer | Feb 18, 2021 |

Jane Harperprimary authorall editionscalculated
Shanahan, SteveNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For Pete and Charlotte, with love
Later, the four remaining women could fully agree on only two things.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,030,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible