Bohemian Manifesto: A Field Guide to Living…

Bohemian Manifesto: A Field Guide to Living on the Edge

by Laren Stover

Laren Stover is often a dazzling writer. At the outset she tells us she is a bohemian, but this doesn't deter her from seeing the humor in bohemians and their sometimes wildly unsuccessful experiments in living. In the end though, the allure of the bohemian world and its alternative perspective is opened for readers, possibly to sample themselves. The illustrations also enrich the book. She captures the aesthetic aspects of bohemianism well. ( )
  bkinetic | Oct 15, 2010 |
Few books manage to be both magical and humourous, but this is one of the few. Having been on my bookshelves for a few years now, the Bohemian Manifesto is one of those books that I cannot help but return to again and again. Laren Stover observes the bohemian landscape with an artist's eye, generally skipping over the less salubrious aspects of the bohemian lifestyle, and creating an intriguing and enchanting picture of a life of artistic and creative freedom, but the book only benefits from this treatment.

Stover's book is not, however, a lifestyle manual or self-help guide. Instead, it is an almost hypnotically beautifully written homage to the bohemian, both past and present. That is not to say that the reader, bohemian or not, cannot pick up a lot from the book; as well as providing a history of bohemian developement through the centuries, Stover also provides 'suggested reading' lists that introduced some new authors to me, along with alternative brands of household products that I had not heard of, but am keen to explore.

What truly elevates this book from the norm, however, is the impecable production. A work of art in every sense, the book is gold underneath the beatiful dust-jacket, as well as being filled with the most exquisite watercolours. Truly an object of beauty. ( )
1 vote felicityann86 | Sep 29, 2009 |
My husband gave me this book as a gift while we were dating, possibly helped his mom on a gift-giving occasion by picking it out. I loved it. It was informative, funny, and so very true. ( )
  rslynch | Feb 19, 2008 |
This is a sort of how-to book for Bohemians or wannabees of all walks of life. Laren Stover divides Bohemians into categories, such as gypsies, dandies, beats, etc. and describes the common characteristics and lifestyles of each. Quite tongue in cheek, and fun to read. There's even a quiz to determine which kind of Bohemian you might be. ( )
1 vote PensiveCat | Nov 5, 2007 |
My Bohemia A Fantasy And so I went, fists thrust in the torn pockets Of a couat held together by no more than its name. O Muse, how I served you beneath the blue; And oh what dreams of dazzling love I have dreamed.

My only pair of pants had a huge hole, -Like some dreaming Tom Thumb, I sowed Rhyme with each step. My inn was the Big Dipper. -My stars rustled in the sky.

Roadside on warm September nights I listened as drops of dew fell On my forehead like fortifying wind;

And there, surrounded by streaming shadows, I rhymed Aloud, and as if they were lyres, plucked the laces of my wounded shoes, one foot beneath my heart. -Aruthur Rimbaud (tranlation, Wyatt Mason) 1958, Paris I beat when I play And I play when I beat. I just want to be a round, Not a square -Par Pierrette Lis Dougherty Pierce
For my dads
So, what exactly is a Bohemian?

Bohemianism is a way of life, a state of mind, an atmosphere. It is not a trend, its a timeless movement. It is about living beyond convention. BOHEMIAN MANIFESTO explores and joyfully celebrates the creativity, the originality, and the splendor of a lifestyle and spirit shared by free-thinking, free-living artists, poets, writers, sculptors, musicians, and intellectuals. This is the first book to distill and categorize all the ingredients of Bohemian life. In a witty and engaging style, Laren Stover examines the contents of a Bohemians closet, bathroom, and bookshelf. She explains the allure of absinthe, why it isnt wise to leave a Bohemian unattended in your home--you could return to find nude nymphs painted on your lamp shades--and how to identify what type of Bohemian you might be.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:14 -0400)

Laren Stover is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,075,739 books! | Top bar: Always visible