The O'Reilly Factor: The Good, the Bad, and…

The O'Reilly Factor: The Good, the Bad, and the Completely Ridiculous in…

by Bill O'Reilly

To be honest, I don't why the heck I read this. I must have been in an extremely masochistic mood when I checked it out from the local library. If subjecting myself to pain was my ultimate goal that afternoon, this book certainly did not disappoint. It was painful to read all the way through.

This book is even more painful than his t.v. show. On television O'Reilly is able to mask his vast stupidity by raising his voice and screaming at everyone and everything within a two-mile radius of his anchor desk. Unfortunately for him, the "scream at them so they don't see how dumb I am" strategy cannot be employed between the covers of a book.

The most ridiculous thing in American Life is that this simpleton gets books published. Even more ridiculous . . . idiots like me who wasted their time reading it.

If you are one of these people who absolutely needs a fix of stale received-wisdom and molten-hot liberalism disguised as raging, foaming-at-the-mouth conservatism, I suggest you skip this book and get your fix of Bill "Oh, Really?" straight from the source on FOX. At least the screaming contains some element of entertainment. ( )
  FBerger | Mar 12, 2014 |
Love the book and love Bill O'Reilly. He scares the pants off a lot of people, though. ( )
  beanyncecil | Jan 26, 2011 |
Sort of like the show, except without the occasional interesting guest (read: Dennis Miller) or the fun of watching O'Reilly shout over somebody. It's mostly a bunch of variations on "Why, back when I was a kid...!" It is interesting to note that at this point, O'Reilly despised Al Sharpton; that changed by the time the next book rolled out, and now he's pretty much a Factor regular. ( )
1 vote badgenome | Oct 21, 2007 |
Sigh, it is books like this that really challenge my desire to write at least a brief review of everything I've read. This reads like a comic book, though perhaps one gussied up to an eighth grade level of literacy. The funny thing is, I agree with O'Reilly on a great many things (though far from everything!) but there's just nothing here. It is part biography, part rant, part morality play, and completely nothing. There were some cute anecdotes about his time in the media, and him growing up, but that's about it. I didn't hate it, but just kept wondering if there was any sort of point to all of this. And concluded there wasn't, not really. ( )
1 vote worldsedge | Oct 10, 2007 |
I lean strongly toward Libertarianism and because I'm a fiscally conservative guy, I thought O'Reilly would be a decent guy to watch and read. I've learned much to my regret, that he's a complete neocon who pushes the far right, religious agenda just as agressively as the far left pushes theirs. He's more than willing to lie, omit the truth, or just spin it wildly to his liking and to please his Republican paymasters. He's pushing a strong war mentality and he's wrong on just about any issue. I encourage you to read his material and listen to him, and then go read any 10 other pieces of journalism on the same subject. There's certainly a left slant in most media (witness the willingness to lick Hillary and Bill's boots), but he's just as far to the right. With these folks there is no middle ground, and that only means more government, more big brother, less money and power for us, and more authoritariansm. The book itself is a fairly hamfisted attempt at telling you how you should live your life and why you are wrong for not doing it his way. Nice huh? ( )
1 vote thassler | Jan 31, 2007 |
Please do not combine with The No spin zone. Thank you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0767905288, Hardcover)

The O'Reilly Factor isn't just the name of Bill O'Reilly's popular talk show on the Fox News Channel anymore--it's also the title of his book, which, appropriately enough, actually reads like a TV show. The narrative rarely proceeds for more than a few paragraphs before a bold-faced "This Just In" or "Bulletin" pops up on the page and breaks the stream of thought--sort of like a commercial interruption. This provides an ideal forum for O'Reilly to sound off on any number of topics with lots of verve but not too much depth. There are breezy chapters here on money, media, religion, race, and sex, among others. O'Reilly dislikes many things, and he isn't shy about sharing his opinions: "SUVs should be immediately outlawed," he rants. Here's O'Reilly on President Clinton: "What a ridiculous waste!" Attorney General Janet Reno is a "ridiculous, incompetent woman" and President Clinton's "primary 'enabler.'"

This is not a subtle book, and its bombastic approach would be even more grating if it weren't for several flashes of self-deprecation, such as when the author shares a negative piece of viewer mail, or when he writes, "In case you haven't noticed, I'm a cocky bastard." Sometimes O'Reilly's put-downs are creative and funny: "If God has a sense of humor, as I believe he does, [Al Sharpton and David Duke] will be sharing a sauna in the netherworld. With one thermostat." And he's good at illustrating his points with outrageous details. In criticizing the bloated federal budget, for instance, he points to these shockers: $230,000 for a study of housefly sex habits, $27,000 for an analysis of why prisoners want to escape, and $100,000 to find out why Americans don't like beets. (To which he replies: "Houseflies mate when no one is looking. Prisoners don't like prison. Beets don't taste good.") O'Reilly is often considered something of a conservative, but he can also play the blue-collar populist: "The rich want us to believe that anyone can make the quantum leap from bowling league to country club by just working a little harder. That's supposed to keep us motivated and quiet." Fans of his TV show will probably appreciate this cantankerous book. --John J. Miller

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:43 -0400)

Here is O'Reilly's take on our country, our politicians, our celebrities, our class system, our love lives, our money. In fact, O'Reilly's got an opinion on just about everything, and he's holding nothing back.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,980,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible