The Woods (2007)

by Harlan Coben

Twenty years ago, four teenagers at summer camp walked into the woods at night. Two were found murdered, and the others were never seen again. Four families had their lives changed forever. Now, two decades later, they are about to change again. For Paul Copeland, the county prosecutor of Essex, New Jersey, mourning the loss of his sister has only recently begun to subside. Cope, as he is known, is now dealing with raising his six-year-old daughter as a single father after his wife has died of cancer. Balancing family life and a rapidly ascending career as a prosecutor distracts him from his past traumas, but only for so long. When a homicide victim is found with evidence linking him to Cope, the well-buried secrets of the prosecutor's family are threatened. Is this homicide victim one of the campers who disappeared with his sister? Could his sister be alive? Cope has to confront so much he left behind that summer twenty years ago: his first love, Lucy; his mother, who abandoned the family; and the secrets that his Russian parents might have been hiding even from their own children. Cope must decide what is better left hidden in the dark and what truths can be brought to the light.… (more)
    The Likeness by Tana French (profilerSR)
    profilerSR: Also contains a protagonist who survived a crime when young, and is now investigating another crime which may be connected.
    The Screaming Tree by Phil Lovesey (MikeBriggs)

English (133)  French (3)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (145)
If you're a Coben's fan, then this is a must-read. Such a page turner!

tonimeter | May 13, 2022 |
There were a lot of different strands to this novel, and I got a bit lost in the KGB ones. Things came together in rather a rush at the end. I thought the final twist was excellent, although the last paragraph was corny. ( )
  pgchuis | Apr 19, 2022 |
A very good book, which basically keeps you guessing until the very end. Characters are well-established, plot line is plausible and well established. I was "somewhat" disappointed in the ending, but can accept it. You'll have to read it to understand that. I do recommend it.

A warning: DO NOT view any Netflix movies made based on Coben books without reading the books first!!! I have seen two so far and they are so poorly done as to almost be unwatchable from the beginning. Yes, the loose-end snippets of plot lines do eventually get tied up at the end, but enduring the early episodes is absolutely painful, sometimes seeming completely unconnected, and I suspect many viewers stop watching due to each series being so hard to watch. Now that I've read this book, I plan to watch the Netflix version so I understand what is going on...but I expect to be disappointed - most likely because Coben's plot-revelation style in his books is very, very difficult to translate to the screen, even over 8 episodes. ( )
  highlander6022 | Jan 11, 2022 |
Finally a thriller that I liked! Now I know why they describe Coben's books as pageturners. The only thing is that there is a lot of dialogue, so much that sometimes is like reading a script. This is the second Coben's book that I read and I noticed that it's part of the writer's style. The plot was really great, though. And the end wasn't a letdown, like it often is in thrillers. ( )
  mariu911 | Sep 6, 2021 |
"Given that it featured a serial killer who attacked four young people in a summer camp and buried their bodies in the woods, I felt there was enough horror in the mix for me to give it a go."

My review of 'The Woods' by Harlen Coben is up on the John C Adams Reviews website now!

https://www.johncadamsreviews.com/single-post/john-c-adams-reviews-the-woods-by-... ( )
  johncadamssf | Apr 16, 2021 |

Roos, GunillaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sørensen, Henrik EnemarkTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schroderus, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staib, ChristofferTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one is for Alek Coben, Thomas Bradbeer, Annie van der Heide. The three joys I'm lucky enough to call my godchildren.
I see my father with that shovel.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,119,078 books! | Top bar: Always visible