The Likeness by Tana French

The Likeness

by Tana French

Series: Dublin Murder Squad (2)

3,0962081,832 (4.01)511
    The Secret History by Donna Tartt (tangentialine, cransell, GodOfTheAnthill, danibrecher, Booksloth)
    tangentialine: Same sense of the mysterious, same sense of intense psychological speculation.
    Faithful Place by Tana French (ijustgetbored)
    ijustgetbored: This book picks up Frank Mackey's story from where it left off in The Likeness.
    Judas Child by Carol O'Connell (VictoriaPL)
    Bone by Bone by Carol O'Connell (amyblue)
    The Little Friend by Donna Tartt (rbtanger)
    rbtanger: The similarities between these two books are numerous, in spite of the fact that one takes place in Ireland in the 1980s and one in the 1970s American South. If you enjoyed one, I think it highly probable you will enjoy the other.
    A Darker Domain by Val McDermid (kraaivrouw)
    A Fatal Inversion by Barbara Vine (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: Similar in that it features murder and a group of young adults living together in an inherited estate in what they think is an idyll.
    Brat Farrar by Josephine Tey (Anonymous user)
    The Distant Echo by Val McDermid (amyblue)
    The Poison Tree by Erin Kelly (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are solid, well-written, character-driven detective stories.

English (204)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (208)
I have such mixed feelings about Tana French. I'm glued to her books when I'm reading (or listening) to them and they are well written. But . . . well on this one I had such a hard time buying several parts of the premise/ middle/ and ending. This book was so weird in its Jane Austin gone wrong plot, and I got really tired of the fighting roommates. But, I love the Irish cop element, and listening to the accents. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
After reading this, the second book in the series, I was happy to see some characters from the first book return. I had been under the impression that each book was a different set of characters. And maybe it ends up that way eventually, but I was glad to see Cassie and Sam return. I'll admit to being sad not to see Ryan though, other than in passing. The story was very intriguing and I found myself sucked in very quickly...even quicker than I was pulled into the previous book in the series. The case was so unprecedented that you just have to keep reading and see where it leads. The characters were very dynamic as well and I found myself wanting to know them. The one thing I didn't like was how it all turned out in the end. I don't know what it is about these books, but I always seem to be dissatisfied with the endings. And it's not that the endings are bad, it's just my own selfish desire to see things turn out a different way. In any case, I did enjoy the book and will read the others in the series. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
Great follow-up to French's "In the Woods." This time the novel features Cassie (of Cassie & Rob) as the narrator. In the aftermath of the first novel's Operation Vestal, Cassie now finds herself in the midst of an undercover operation, Operation Mirror. Cassie is brought in, reluctantly at first, after a woman is found dead and it is discovered she is using one of Cassie's old undercover aliases. The woman, Lexie Madison, is a ringer for Cassie. Cassie finds herself drawn into the web of Lexie's life and those of her four housemates. French is a great storyteller and while I didn't find this story quite as suspenseful as the previous, it's still quite compelling. It was very enjoyable to hear things from Cassie's perspective this time. ( )
  justacatandabook | Mar 9, 2016 |
Writing in first person, along with French’s skill with words, makes this second book about Irish Detective Cassie Maddox powerful reading. Of course, as with many good detective novels, you have to “go with the flow” which means you might have to not question how an undercover agent could so easily infiltrate the home of a look-alike who was murdered. And that’s okay. Another reviewer wrote about plot not being the center of all great reading, and that reviewer is right. ( )
  brangwinn | Feb 14, 2016 |
3.5 stars really. I must confess that if this hadn't been an audio book I might have given up on it. It required a great deal of suspended disbelief and I didn't really buy into that as much as I really should have. Although in the end it was a pleasant enough read. (Or listen :-) ( )
  CydMelcher | Feb 5, 2016 |
Although she overburdens the traditional police-procedural form with the weight of romance, psychological suspense, social history and mythic legend, she sets a vivid scene for her complex characters, who seem entirely capable of doing the unexpected.

Tolv år gamle Adam Ryan lekte i skogen sammen med de to beste vennene sine en vakker solkinnsdag.Han så dem aldri igjen.Tjue år senere er Adam, eller Rob som han kaller seg nå, etterforsker i Dublin-politiet. Kollegene kjenner ikke til bakgrunnen hans som offer for en forbrytelse. Partneren hans er Cassie Maddox. Rob og Cassie får saken da en jente blir funnet drept på et steinalter midt i en arkeologisk utgravning. Først da de kommer til åstedet skjønner Rob at dette er det samme stedet som der vennene hans forsvant den gangen for lenge siden.Og da de finner en hårspenne som han gjenkjenner som en venninnen hans hadde, melder spørsmålet seg: Er det en sammenheng mellom det som skjedde den gangen og mordet de skal etterforske nå? Rob vet at dersom han avslører sin fortid for andre enn Cassie kommer han til å bli tatt av saken; han tar en skjebnesvanger avgjørelse om å tie. Sammen med Cassie skal han oppklare mordet på Katy Devlin, og han håper at han dermed også vil løse gåten i sin egen fortid.

Tana Frenchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Koen, ViktorCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Neill, HeatherNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wang, JenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Anthony, For a million reasons
Some nights, if I'm sleeping on my own, I still dream about Whitethorn House.
Someone else may have dealt the hand, but I picked it up off the table, I played every card, and I had my reasons.
I found out early that you can throw yourself away, missing what you've lost.
There are some social circles where manners are a sign of weakness.
I wanted to tell her that being loved is a talent too, that it takes as much guts and as much work as loving; that some people, for whatever reason, never learn the knack.

Still traumatised by her brush with a psychopath, Detective Cassie Maddox transfers out of the Murder squad and starts a relationship with fellow detective Sam O'Neill. When he calls her to the scene of his new case, she is shocked to find that the murdered girl is her double. What's more, her ID show she is Lexie Madison - the identity Cassie used, years ago, as an undercover detective.

With no leads, no suspects and no clues to Lexie's real identity, Cassie's old boss spots the opportunity of a lifetime: send Cassie undercover in her place, to tempt the killer out of hiding to finish the job.

The haunting follow up to the Edgar Award-winning debut In the Woods

Tana French astonished critics and readers alike with her mesmerizing debut novel, In the Woods. Now both French and Detective Cassie Maddox return to unravel a case even more sinister and enigmatic than the first. Six months after the events of In the Woods, an urgent telephone call beckons Cassie to a grisly crime scene. The victim looks exactly like Cassie and carries ID identifying herself as Alexandra Madison, an alias Cassie once used. Suddenly, Cassie must discover not only who killed this girl, but, more importantly, who is this girl? A disturbing tale of shifting identities, The Likeness firmly establishes Tana French as an important voice in suspense fiction. And look for French's new mystery, Broken Harbor, for more of the Dublin Murder Squad.

The "expertly rendered, gripping new novel" (Janet Maslin, The New York Times)-from the bestselling author of In the Woods and The Likeness.
Tana French's In the Woods and The Likeness captivated readers by introducing them to her unique, character-driven style and her new mystery, Broken Harbor, is eagerly anticipated. Her singular skill at creating richly drawn, complex worlds makes her novels not mere whodunits but brilliant and satisfying novels about memory, identity, loss, and what defines us as humans. With Faithful Place, the highly praised third novel about the Dublin Murder squad, French takes readers into the mind of Frank Mackey, the hotheaded mastermind of The Likeness, as he wrestles with his own past and the family, the lover, and the neighborhood he thought he'd left behind for good.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:51 -0400)

Six months after the events of In the Woods, Detective Cassie Maddox is still trying to recover. She's transferred out of the murder squad and started a relationship with Detective Sam O'Neill, but she's too badly shaken to make a commitment to him or to her career. Then Sam calls her to the scene of his new case: a young woman found stabbed to death in a small town outside Dublin. The dead girl's ID says her name is Lexie Madison--the identity Cassie used years ago as an undercover detective--and she looks exactly like Cassie--From publisher description.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,865,267 books! | Top bar: Always visible