The Likeness by Tana French

The Likeness

by Tana French

Series: Dublin Murder Squad (2)

2,567None2,330 (4.04)422
Recently added byprivate library, smitha_1988, dpage, AprilAnn0814, lottpoet, copyedit52, kbeihl, kathryn.winz, schwager
2008 (14) 2009 (16) 2011 (19) Cassie Maddox (13) crime (76) crime fiction (30) detective (33) detective fiction (12) doppelgangers (20) Dublin (45) Dublin Murder Squad (13) ebook (23) fiction (255) identity (19) Ireland (189) Irish (28) Kindle (20) murder (55) mystery (348) novel (30) own (14) police procedural (19) read (36) read in 2009 (21) series (32) suspense (33) thriller (46) to-read (82) undercover (34) unread (12)
    The Secret History by Donna Tartt (tangentialine, cransell, GodOfTheAnthill, danibrecher, Booksloth)
    tangentialine: Same sense of the mysterious, same sense of intense psychological speculation.
    Faithful Place by Tana French (elvisettey)
    elvisettey: This book picks up Frank Mackey's story from where it left off in The Likeness.
    Judas Child by Carol O'Connell (VictoriaPL)
    The Little Friend by Donna Tartt (rbtanger)
    rbtanger: The similarities between these two books are numerous, in spite of the fact that one takes place in Ireland in the 1980s and one in the 1970s American South. If you enjoyed one, I think it highly probable you will enjoy the other.
    Bone by Bone by Carol O'Connell (amyblue)
    A Fatal Inversion by Barbara Vine (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: Similar in that it features murder and a group of young adults living together in an inherited estate in what they think is an idyll.
    A Darker Domain by Val McDermid (kraaivrouw)
    The Distant Echo by Val McDermid (amyblue)
    The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are solid, well-written, character-driven detective stories.

English (164)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (168)
This is the second book in the Dublin Murder Squad series by Tana French. This time is is Detective Cassie Maddox’s turn to shine when a woman with an uncanny likeness to Cassie shows up dead. Cassie is thrown in undercover to live as Lexi, the murder victim. Yes, it is highly unlikely that this could happen in real life, but….who cares? The story line is so interesting that you are willing to believe that Cassie is able to pull this off.

I listened to the audiobook version of The Likeness and have to say that the combination of Tana French’s words and Heather O’Neill’s narration brought the story to life for me. The one downside to the audio version is that with French’s frequent use of the f-word, I couldn’t listen to the book when my kids were around. ;) ( )
  jsamaha | Mar 14, 2014 |
Six months after the events of In the Woods, Detective Cassie Maddox is still trying to recover. She's transferred out of the murder squad, started a relationship with Detective Sam O'Neill, but is really unable to make a commitment to him or to her career. Then Sam calls her to the scene of his new case: a young woman found stabbed to death in a small town outside Dublin. The dead girl's ID says her name is Lexie Madison (the identity Cassie used years ago as an undercover detective), and she looks exactly like Cassie. With no leads, no suspects, and no clue to Lexie's real identity, Cassie's old undercover boss, Frank Mackey, spots the opportunity of a lifetime. Cassie goes undercover, with a twist – she will take the place of the murder victim; and with that try to determine which, if any, of “Lexie’s” housemates may be responsible for the stabbing. As she is drawn into Lexie's world, Cassie realizes that the girl's secrets run deeper than anyone imagined. Though this is the second installment of her Dublin Murder Squad series, I don’t think it is necessary to read the first book “In the Woods” to understand this book. I did find this story fascinating--the descriptions of the Irish country side, and of course the inhabitants of Whitethorn house were beautiful and in some ways very sad. A 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  marsap | Mar 11, 2014 |
Tana French needs a better editor. I had some trouble getting though her first novel, but it picked up towards the end. Not so with this one. I was about 65% in before giving up. The story just wasn't keeping my interest and it was moving along painfully slow. It should have been at least 200 pages shorter. I wont even comment on the outlandish premise. Blah. ( )
  lizzyg | Mar 10, 2014 |
Several months ago, I read French's first book, In The Woods, and I thought that it was absolutely gripping as a mystery, with interesting characters and flowing language. Well, The Likeness is even better.
Picking up after the events in The Woods, The Likeness is told from the perspective of Cassie, a detective in Ireland who has left the murder squad after the previous book's events, and now works domestic violence cases. She doesn't think she can be drawn back in to work on murder cases, let alone undercover work, until a murder victim turns up with a bizarre connection to Cassie. This happens in the first pages of the book, and absolutely hooked me right from the start.
Cassie goes undercover with a group of suspects, graduate students who live together in a large, old house, and insinuates herself into their lives. Is one of them a killer? If so, can she figure out who? Does she want to figure it out? And... will she blow her cover?
Pick up this book, and you won't want to put it down until you have all the answers. I can't recommend this highly enough.
  ksimon | Feb 6, 2014 |
Despite starting on a premise that I couldn't swallow, I enjoyed this mystery. A body is found, and to solve the mystery, a woman who is not related but looks just like the body can step into that person's life with no one noticing. Uh-uh. I ain't buying it.

Okay, I'll just have to suspend disbelief for awhile. Once I did that, although the improbability kept nagging at me, the story was entertaining. I listened to an audio version narrated by Heather O'Neill, and her lovely accent added to the story. Her voice as Daniel did not work well, but other than that, it was a very good narration.

Once everything comes to a boil and we know what happened, there is a little too much explaining, and I wanted the story wrapped up a bit more quickly than happened, but still, this is a good, solid 3-star mystery. ( )
  TooBusyReading | Jan 30, 2014 |
Although she overburdens the traditional police-procedural form with the weight of romance, psychological suspense, social history and mythic legend, she sets a vivid scene for her complex characters, who seem entirely capable of doing the unexpected.

Tana Frenchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
O'Neill, HeatherNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Norwegian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
For Anthony, For a million reasons
Some nights, if I'm sleeping on my own, I still dream about Whitethorn House.
Someone else may have dealt the hand, but I picked it up off the table, I played every card, and I had my reasons.
I found out early that you can throw yourself away, missing what you've lost.
There are some social circles where manners are a sign of weakness.
I wanted to tell her that being loved is a talent too, that it takes as much guts and as much work as loving; that some people, for whatever reason, never learn the knack.

Still traumatised by her brush with a psychopath, Detective Cassie Maddox transfers out of the Murder squad and starts a relationship with fellow detective Sam O'Neill. When he calls her to the scene of his new case, she is shocked to find that the murdered girl is her double. What's more, her ID show she is Lexie Madison - the identity Cassie used, years ago, as an undercover detective.

With no leads, no suspects and no clues to Lexie's real identity, Cassie's old boss spots the opportunity of a lifetime: send Cassie undercover in her place, to tempt the killer out of hiding to finish the job.

The haunting follow up to the Edgar Award-winning debut In the Woods

Tana French astonished critics and readers alike with her mesmerizing debut novel, In the Woods. Now both French and Detective Cassie Maddox return to unravel a case even more sinister and enigmatic than the first. Six months after the events of In the Woods, an urgent telephone call beckons Cassie to a grisly crime scene. The victim looks exactly like Cassie and carries ID identifying herself as Alexandra Madison, an alias Cassie once used. Suddenly, Cassie must discover not only who killed this girl, but, more importantly, who is this girl? A disturbing tale of shifting identities, The Likeness firmly establishes Tana French as an important voice in suspense fiction. And look for French's new mystery, Broken Harbor, for more of the Dublin Murder Squad.

The "expertly rendered, gripping new novel" (Janet Maslin, The New York Times)-from the bestselling author of In the Woods and The Likeness.
Tana French's In the Woods and The Likeness captivated readers by introducing them to her unique, character-driven style and her new mystery, Broken Harbor, is eagerly anticipated. Her singular skill at creating richly drawn, complex worlds makes her novels not mere whodunits but brilliant and satisfying novels about memory, identity, loss, and what defines us as humans. With Faithful Place, the highly praised third novel about the Dublin Murder squad, French takes readers into the mind of Frank Mackey, the hotheaded mastermind of The Likeness, as he wrestles with his own past and the family, the lover, and the neighborhood he thought he'd left behind for good.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:29 -0400)

Six months after the events of In the Woods, Detective Cassie Maddox is still trying to recover. She's transferred out of the murder squad and started a relationship with Detective Sam O'Neill, but she's too badly shaken to make a commitment to him or to her career. Then Sam calls her to the scene of his new case: a young woman found stabbed to death in a small town outside Dublin. The dead girl's ID says her name is Lexie Madison--the identity Cassie used years ago as an undercover detective--and she looks exactly like Cassie--From publisher description.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Hyperion and Voice

An edition of this book was published by Hyperion and Voice.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,473,224 books! | Top bar: Always visible