HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Faithful Place (2010)

by Tana French

Series: Dublin Murder Squad (3)

Detective Frank Mackey finds himself straight back in the dark tangle of relationships he left behind twenty-two years ago when the suitcase belonging to his first love, Rosie Daly, shows up behind a fireplace in a derelict house on Faithful Place. The hotly anticipated third novel of the Dublin murder squad.… (more)

English (269)  Spanish (3)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (274)
I thoroughly enjoyed the first two Dublin Murder Squad books, and this one surpasses them by far. It's more than a suspense or mystery novel, it's a deep and disturbing look into a seriously dysfunctional family that shows just how far down resentment and anger can pull people. Two days later and I can't stop thinking about the Mackeys, and feeling grateful that I have no idea how it feels to grow up in a family like that.

I had some uncomplimentary thoughts about Frank in [b:The Likeness|1914973|The Likeness (Dublin Murder Squad, #2)|Tana French|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1348934952s/1914973.jpg|6504351], but he pretty much redeemed himself in Faithful Place. Yes, he has a tendency to teeter to yon side of the line sometimes, but he really is a good man with a good heart.

Unless later books change my mind, this series is firmly on my list of favorites. ( )
  AuntieG0412 | Jan 23, 2023 |
Frank y Rosie eran dos adolescentes enamorados. Cansados de sus familias y de la vida que llevaban, planearon fugarse juntos. Él acudió a la cita, pero ella nunca apareció. Han pasado más de veinte años desde aquella noche. Ahora Frank es policía y Rosie tan solo un recuerdo lejano... hasta que un día descubren su maleta en una casa abandonada.
  fewbach | Jan 5, 2023 |
Brilliant work -- less of a "mystery" than a full-throated deep dive into a troubled and dysfunctional Irish family. I became so entangled in the story of the Mackey family through the lens of the police detective Frank Mackey that my curiosity about the killer's identity became almost irrelevant -- and of course eventually it was obvious but almost beside the point in the deliberate and slow unfolding of the long kept secrets and lies. Books this slow paced can often seem tedious, but I was riveted to hear from each family member and watch Tana French dig into their psyches. Each person felt fully realized and familiar, if not likeable. Of course Detective Mackey solves the crimes, but their solution becomes close to the Mackey family's undoing. Frank Mackey, his daughter Holly and the Mackey family will stay with me awhile. ( )
  FYreads | Jan 3, 2023 |
Before I write a full review: To those saying they were disappointed to know the killer so soon into the novel, OK ... so? In In the Woods, we had no idea who the killer was, no clue, and then found out the one who did it was clueless and stupid and altogether a disappointing "villian" (which by all accounts was French's intention.) In The Likeness, it's more a game of guess who among the circle of friends, but I'm willing to bet most of us had the guy pegged halfway into the book. And in this one, yes, I figured it all along.

But all that is missing the point and is underestimating French's talent. She doesn't write whodunnits. She writes novels with extremely complex characters and character development. She writes whole worlds into these books. To suggest that figuring out the killer is what makes these particular stories worthwhile seems like a lousy way to assess a novel, especially one by a novelist with French's writing prowess and credentials. ( )
1 vote ostbying | Jan 1, 2023 |
I'm so glad I discovered this series. French writes of real people, and real pain. Frank is drawn back to his family, from whom he is long estranged, to solve a murder with profound repercussions for him and his family. A great read, although I guessed the killer early on. The way French works it out is masterful. ( )
  ffortsa | Nov 17, 2022 |
The past haunts in Tana French novels. That which was buried is brought to light and wreaks hell--on no one moreso than Frank Mackey, beloved undercover guru and burly hero first mentioned in French's second book about the Undercover Squad, The Likeness. Faithful Place is Frank's old neighborhood, the town he fled twenty-two years ago, abandoning an abusive alcoholic father, harpy mother, and two brothers and sisters who never made it out. They say going home is never easy, but for Frank, investigating the cold case of the just-discovered body of his teenage girlfriend, it is a tangled, dangerous journey, fraught with mean motivations, black secrets, and tenuous alliances. Because he is too close to the case, and because the Place (including his family) harbors a deep-rooted distrust of cops, Frank must undergo his investigation furtively, using all the skills picked up from years of undercover work to trace the killer and the events of the night that changed his life. Faithful Place is Tana French's best book yet (readers familiar with In the Woods and The Likeness will recognize this as an incredible feat), a compelling and cutting mystery with the hardscrabble, savage Mackey clan at its heart.

Tana Frenchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Reynolds, Tim GerardReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Books, LLC- -RecordedPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reynolds, Tim GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Alex
In all your life, only a few moments matter.
The stuff that routinely gets done to them would make most men curl up and die, but women turn to steel and keep on coming.

As her third novel featuring the Dublin Murder Squad opens, 19-year-old Frank Mackey is waiting in vain for Rosie, who he’s supposed to run away to London with. But when she doesn’t show, Frank leaves the Liberties area of Dublin and ends up in Ranelagh (another Dublin area) without her—thinking she had run off without him. He vows never to return to his dysfunctional family or the street he grew up on with Rosie, Faithful Place. Years later, though, Rosie’s suitcase is found in an abandoned house, and Frank, now a detective, returns to his old neighborhood to learn the truth of that long-ago night.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,755,917 books! | Top bar: Always visible