dismiss

Gone Girl

by Gillian Flynn

16,2451338215 (3.86)4 / 1031
On the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick's wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police immediately suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they aren't his. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife?… (more)
    Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson (becksdakex)
    The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins (Anonymous user)
    Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier (timmeloche)
    timmeloche: I found similarities in that the narration tends to be unreliable. I also disliked the characters but thoroughly enjoyed the book.
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (claudiemae)
    claudiemae: I really enjoyed this book,my first read by this author. I got "Gone Girl,because i like how this author writes.But,I did not like "Gone Girl',really,was this written by Gillian Flynn? I was dissapointed,and hope she can do better with her next one,she does have talent.… (more)
    The Breaker by Minette Walters (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: In these character-driven and intricately plotted psychological suspense stories, seemingly devoted husbands become prime suspects in their wives' disappearances. As investigations unfold, disturbing secrets are unearthed -- casting both couples' relationships in a new and unsettling light.… (more)
    Die for You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dark, disturbing secrets belie seemingly perfect marriages in these fast-paced, compelling psychological suspense novels, which unfold from multiple perspectives. In each, the narrator searches for a missing spouse who may not be the person they thought they knew.… (more)
    Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (fannyprice)
    Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Similar marriage themes
    The Basic Eight by Daniel Handler (Lirmac)
    Consequences by Aleatha Romig (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: "Consequences" too has twists and turns, becomes sinister, while detailing an insane relationship. Cold, calculating, then a shocking ending.
    Painkiller by N. J. Fountain (Roro8)
    Local Girl Missing by Claire Douglas (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Both novels have multiple points of view, an unreliable narrator, and a complex, clever plot, but only Gone Girl is stuffed with filthy language.
    Notes on a Scandal by Zoë Heller (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both books are page-turners that are full of dark humour with underlying commentaries on the modern media, marriage and class. Both have extremely flawed characters who are not easy to sympathise with but that is all part of the fun.
    Faithful Place by Tana French (kathleen.morrow)
    Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff (buchowl)
    In the Woods by Tana French (Ling.Lass)
    Ling.Lass: Unreliable narrators, psychopaths, unsympathetic characters who miss their chance at redemption
    The Other by Thomas Tryon (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Tremendous works of psychological suspense and genuinely horrific crimes.

English (1,304)  Dutch (5)  Catalan (4)  French (4)  German (3)  Swedish (2)  Hungarian (2)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (1,329)
Holy twists and turns batman! This is a great book to escape into and let the author take you for a ride. ( )
  buleth | Jul 9, 2020 |
Spectacular book, excellent on character, a page turner. Really digs into the lives of the main characters and some lovely, lovely writing. My one quibble is that there is no way even a psychopath can be that perfect. It would have been interesting to have more disconnects, just enough to make people doubt the created story a little more. But that's a quibble -- finished at 4 am and that is testament enough! ( )
  MaximusStripus | Jul 7, 2020 |
Loved this book - did not see the twist coming. Was difficult to put down. The characters are dark and complicated, definitely multi dimensional. A good insight into the minds of psychopaths. ( )
  SashiG | Jul 2, 2020 |
I don’t usually read thrillers but I needed some relaxing reading for a change and got this on sale. I see it has now been made into a film.

The book is about a couple, Nick and Amy, who apparently have an idyllic marriage, but do they? Amy suddenly disappears on the morning of their fifth wedding anniversary – where has she gone? We switch between diary-like accounts by each partner. Nick’s are entitled “one day gone, “two days gone” and so on.

Police suspect Nick of killing his wife. We are reading accounts from Amy’s diary, so we know that isn’t true. But still, what is happening, and why did Amy leave?

This well-written thriller is exceedingly readable (and there is one very surprising twist near the end of the book). Is Amy trying to frame Nick or what? If you want an exciting read to get your mind off things, try this book. ( )
  IonaS | Jul 1, 2020 |
After being told by no less than 10 people that I must read "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn I finally caved to peer pressure and bought this novel.

I have never been so happy with a purchase in my life.

I definitely do not want to spoil this novel for readers who still have not read this yet so I will only focus on the bare facts. We have a couple Nick and Amy Dunne who are approaching their fifth wedding anniversary. Nick and Amy have moved back to Nick's hometown of North Carthage, Missouri after their lives in New York working in their chosen literary fields went up in smoke. Nick on returning home finds his wife gone, with the police investigating, Nick and Amy's perfect life gets turned upside down.

We get the story told from Nick and Amy's point of view and the way that Gillian Flynn writes both characters is fantastic. I love how Gillian Flynn explores what makes a relationship, marriage, and what can people live with. I honestly did not expect the ending and have to say I loved that for once I was not able to call out an entire novel.

I can say I was surprised to see so many reviews not liking the novel because of the ending, but I honestly loved it! It reminds me a lot of Daphne De Maurier's novels and short stories. The ending is left ambiguous and leaves it to the readers imagination to what comes next. I am glad that the novel didn't resolve things quick and neatly (life isn't like that) and I think for most readers out there you will be happy imagining what came next.

I highly recommend this novel! ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
Flynn writes bright, clever, cynical sentences. Maybe too many of them in Gone Girl. The same facts and ideas seem to repeat themselves. But that’s a minor gripe in a book that never slacks in tightening the suspense.

The basic questions the mystery asks are these: did the journalist husband murder his well-to-do missing wife or is she setting him up to pay a creepy price? On Flynn’s slick way to reaching the answer, she pulls the rug from under us readers three times. Or was it four?
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jun 2, 2012)

This American author shook up the thriller scene in 2007 with her debut Sharp Objects, nasty and utterly memorable. Gone Girl, her third novel, is even better – an early contender for thriller of the year and an absolute must read.
added by Milesc | editThe Observer, Alison Flood (May 20, 2012)

Flynn, Gillianprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graziosi, FrancescoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zani, IsabellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Love is the world's infinite mutability: Lies, hatred, murder even, are all knit up in it; it is the inevitable blossoming of its opposites, a magnificent rose smelling faintly of blood.

Tony Kushner, THE ILLUSION
To Brett: light of my life, senior and
Flynn: light of my life, junior
When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.
I don’t know that we are actually human at this point, those of us who are like most of us, who grew up with TV and movies and now the Internet. If we are betrayed, we know the words to say; when a loved one dies, we know the words to say. It we want to play the stud or the smart-ass or the fool, we know the words to say. We are all working from the same dog-eared script.
I'm a big fan of the lie of omission.
I hated Nick for being surprised when I became me.
You are an average, lazy, boring, cowardly, woman-fearing man. Without me, that’s what you would have kept on being, ad nauseam. But I made you into something. You were the best man you’ve ever been with me. And you know it.
It’s a very difficult era in which to be a person, just a real, actual person, instead of a collection of personality traits selected from an endless Automat of characters.

Golden boy Nick Dunne, brings his socialite wife, Amy, back to live in his hometown on the Mississippi River. She is miserable and on their fifth wedding anniversary she disappears. Soon Nick finds himself lying,  and acting inappropriately but continues to claim his innocence with his twin sister at his side.
Lies disguised as truth/Is she dead or simply gone?/Ask Punch and Judy. (BrileyOC)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,937,601 books! | Top bar: Always visible