Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Sharp Objects

by Gillian Flynn

3,3432331,626 (3.74)1 / 296
    Heartsick by Chelsea Cain (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: Twisted female antagonists.
    The Snow Garden by Christopher Rice (VictoriaPL)
    Generation Loss by Elizabeth Hand (cetera_desunt)
    The Bad Seed by William March (dara85)
    The Twisted Thread by Charlotte Bacon (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: These books share a troubled but brave protagonist and buried secrets among the wealthy.
    Killing Critics by Carol O'Connell (citygirl)
    citygirl: Dark, so dark, twisty, disturbing murder mysteries with very unusual female protagonists written by skilled writers who may write with knives dipped in blood rather than pens.
    Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (derelicious)
    The Elementals by Michael McDowell (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Both books feature clusters of Victorian mansions.
    Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Different types of plots, but both great examples of what newer writers are accomplishing in the horror genre.

English (228)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  All languages (232)
Gillian Flynn can write, she knows how to tell a story, that's for sure. Her stuff is dark, twisted and complicated, baring the very worst in people. These are not people who are just selfish, insensitive or narcissistic. These are people who are beyond flawed. Flynn does not flinch from the horror of the situations she sets up either.

Written before Gone Girl, Sharp Objects is tighter with a more sympathetic protagonist. I could identify all too well with Camille's descent into her own personal hell when confronting the realization of who, and what, her mother is. There were moments when I teared up in sympathy.

This is disturbing, yet captivating reading. Flynn's books are not something I have sought out, and I can't say I'm sorry I read them but they are hard edged stories and not for the faint of heart. ( )
  AuntieClio | Mar 6, 2015 |
After reading Sharp Objects all I keep thinking to myself is: what the fuck . Without a doubt it was disturbing which made it such a good read for me. After reading Dark Places and now this one I can definitely say that Gillian Flynn writes exactly the type of novels I love to read. Her novels are full of broken, flawed characters thrown into morbid realities. All I have left to do is wait for my copy of Gone Girl to arrive. ( )
  Serenity_Tigerlily | Mar 3, 2015 |
Gillian Flynn is a master at making her readers feel uncomfortable. For the entire book I had this uneasy feeling as if something bad was about to happen. It is a bit more slow paced than Gone Girl, but it always feels like Camille is one page away from something very bad happening. At one point I actually had to stop reading because I felt like I had experienced enough uneasiness for one night. Even, so that uneasiness is really what made me love this story so much. Each character has a secret and it is so much fun to find out these character's dirty laundry. I'm not sure which character is creepier: Amma, Camille's 13 year old lolita-wannabe half-sister, or her cold, seemingly perfect mother Adora. As much as I disliked these characters as people, I couldn't get enough of them. In the end, I felt a little numb. It was sad and I felt for Camille. She has had a hard life and survived the best should could in a toxic environment. Unfortunately, if you're a character in a Gillian Flynn novel then you're probably not destined for a happy ending. Sharp Objects forces readers to dive into a dark family mystery that will keep you guessing until the very end. If anything, this book will make you thankful your family isn't as crazy as Camille's ( )
  brittanysmack | Feb 23, 2015 |
Not as intriguing as Gone Girl but a solid mystery. Characters well drawn despite being absurd monstrosities. Read it very quickly but maybe a tighter story would have been better? Enjoyable. ( )
  aine.fin | Feb 20, 2015 |
After I read Gone Girl, which left me kind of cold, I don’t think I even wrote a review about it here, I said, “NO MORE GILLIAN FLYNN”. As you can see I didn’t stick to that. I got a sample, it intrigued me, and so I got the book. From the library, because if I had actually paid money for this drivel I would be fucking pissed. Some spoilers in review

The story is told from the viewpoint of Camille Preaker, who is a reporter and mentally ill, totally messed up by mommie dearest who never liked much less loved her. Camille is a cutter, except she doesn’t just cut, she carves words into herself. So fresh from this environment and just out of a mental hospital, Camille is sent back to her whack job of a mother by her boss. Of course at this point in the book, he doesn’t know how deranged Camille’s family is. And Camille is not ready to let the world know she has words written all over her body. She even convinced a guy to have sex with her clothes on.

Camille is just there to cover the story, but in the way these things happen in books, she ends up working to solve the crime, not just report on the family and the victims relations with their family and others. And she figures it out, except she’s wrong. I was wrong too.

In Gone Girl, the main female character is a MEAN GIRL, in this book, Camille is not a MEAN GIRL, but we get the idea that she was one in high school. Her mother and half-sister are devious and manipulative and spiteful and venomous. I raced through this book, mainly because I had to find out the ending, but I can’t say I enjoyed it. ( )
  BellaFoxx | Feb 14, 2015 |
For my parents, Matt and Judith Flynn
My sweater was new, stinging red and ugly.

Reporter Camille Preaker tries to unravel the truth of her own troubled past as she returns to her hometown to investigate the murders of two preteen girls.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307341550, Paperback)

As loyal Entertainment Weekly subscribers, we have been fans of Gillian Flynn for her smart, funny, and spot-on reviews of books, movies, and TV, but we were not prepared for her stunning debut novel Sharp Objects, a wickedly dark thriller that Stephen King calls a "relentlessly creepy family saga" and an "admirably nasty piece of work." We're calling it a cross between Twin Peaks and Secretary--sinister, sexy, and stylish. Perfect fall reading. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Gillian Flynn

Q: Do you prefer writing novels or reviewing?
A: I think writing is more pure--and actually a bit easier for me. It's just me and my laptop, not me and my laptop and a TV show that 30 people have worked on. Reviewing keeps you sharp--I can hardly watch or read anything without taking notes now--but plain old writing I find actually relaxing.

Q: Do think your writing is influenced more by books that you have read, or shows/movies that you have seen?
A: My mom spent her career as a reading teacher and my dad is a retired film professor, so I was really steeped in both books and movies growing up. To this day, when I get my dad on the phone, pretty much his first sentence is "Seen anything good lately?" I love putting words together (I've never met a simile I didn't like), but when I write I often think in "scenes"--I want these two people, in a dirty bar, with this song playing in the background.

Q: I hear you are working on your second book...is it is too early to ask what it's about?
A: I'm still playing around with the whole plot--when I wrote Sharp Objects, I wasn't even sure who the killer was for a bit. But I can say [the new book] has to do with family loyalty, false memories, a wrenching murder trial, and a dash of good 'ole 1980s hair metal and devil worship.

Q: What is your writing process like? Have you changed anything about how you work since your first book?
A: My writing process is incredibly inefficient, and hasn't changed between books. I really don't outline: I know basically how I want the story to start, and vaguely how I want it to end (though like I said, with Sharp Objects even that changed!). Then I just write: Some characters I start finding more interesting, some less. I write entire swaths that I pretty much know I'll cut. I have an entire file of "deleted scenes." I guess the one thing that has physically changed is I moved into a new place since my first book--it has a great bathtub, and I'll prop my laptop up and write in the bath for hours. Which is, admittedly, weird.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:50 -0400)

Returning to her hometown after an eight-year absence and a short stay at a psychiatric hospital to investigate the murders of two girls, reporter Camille Preaker is reunited with her neurotic mother and enigmatic, thirteen-year-old half-sister as she works to uncover the truth about the killings.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,817,484 books! | Top bar: Always visible