Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Sharp Objects

by Gillian Flynn

5,9674071,068 (3.74)1 / 377
Recently added byrena75, starlabrite, DSBarberis, PoolofLife, morgaine3106, StellaKts, laurasmash, private library
    Heartsick by Chelsea Cain (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: Twisted female antagonists.
    Generation Loss by Elizabeth Hand (cetera_desunt)
    The Bad Seed by William March (dara85)
    The Secret Place by Tana French (wandering_star)
    The Twisted Thread by Charlotte Bacon (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: These books share a troubled but brave protagonist and buried secrets among the wealthy.
    Killing Critics by Carol O'Connell (citygirl)
    citygirl: Dark, so dark, twisty, disturbing murder mysteries with very unusual female protagonists written by skilled writers who may write with knives dipped in blood rather than pens.
    The Snow Garden by Christopher Rice (VictoriaPL)
    Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (derelicious)
    Crazy Love You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dysfunctional relationship dynamics are at the heart of these compelling psychological suspense stories. Both feature women who expose -- and exploit -- buried secrets and long-hidden lies.
    Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Different types of plots, but both great examples of what newer writers are accomplishing in the horror genre.
    The Elementals by Michael McDowell (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Both books feature clusters of Victorian mansions.

English (399)  Dutch (5)  Danish (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (407)
Wow - what a page turner - can't wait for the HBO series to come out - Gillian Flynn is one of my absolute favorite writers - I have loved each and everyone of her books and this is one is no exception. The subject matter was disturbing but it was an interesting read and although I always try to guess how it will end - Ms. Flynn always seems to throw me a curveball! ( )
  debbiebellows | Jun 1, 2019 |
I was really loving this book. I really, really was. Until I wasn't.

Plot? Great. Characters? So-so. I liked the family dynamics, but I didn't really feel like the characters were fleshed out enough. The cop was 2-dimensional, for sure. Greta was almost likable, but not quite. I guess that was the biggest problem for me- the not quite part.

The second biggest problem for me was the ending. I'm not going to spoil anything by telling you this- the ending sucked. Not in a plot way, because that was good. In a writing way. It was as though Flynn got bored with her own story and just decided to wrap everything up as quickly as possible. The entire end- including what many would consider the climax- was told in passive voice. Ick.

What started as an excellent book just kind of dribbled into a mediocre one. Shame. ( )
  kweber319 | May 13, 2019 |
It was a good read. Suspenseful. ( )
  Teezie | May 10, 2019 |
4.5 stars. Flynn does sick and twisted so well that it’s almost disturbing to consider where all her ideas come from. Having previously read Gone Girl, I assumed I was in for good writing, interesting characters, and at least one unexpected twist. I definitely got the first 2 but I don’t think the book quite delivered on the last.

The main character is nuanced and unique, as is her particular shade of twisted and yet, Flynn doesn’t just drop this in your lap. It evolves slowly enough that she’s formed her into a whole person. The ancillary characters are there to serve a specific plot purpose and it was only one moment between Camille and John that I found unnecessary.

The MBP aspect of the story was predictable but I don’t think it was supposed to be this great surprise like it is in other books. After all, the back cover unnecessarily describes her as a hypochondriac so if you read that, you’d be expecting that about the mother. The punchline at the end knocked me back on my heels a bit, but only because it happened in the epilogue when I had assumed the mysteries had all been revealed. This was the biggest flaw for me - the pacing was fine up until the flood of exposition in the last few pages. I’d still be interested in a sequel though if Flynn ever decided to revisit these characters. ( )
  jesmlet | Apr 23, 2019 |
The image of Camille inspires identification and heart-rending ness. It made me want to reach out between the pages, hug her and make sure everything was all right, and at the same time, I tried to get to the end of the book and run away from this town.

If you are a thriller lover - yes, read the book. ( )
  AvrahamDavid | Apr 11, 2019 |
For my parents, Matt and Judith Flynn
My sweater was new, stinging red and ugly.
“The photo showed a dark-eyed girl with a feral grin and too much hair for her head. The kind of girl who’d be described by teachers as a ‘handful.’ I liked her.”
“Sometimes I think illness sits inside every woman, waiting for the right moment to bloom. I have known so many sick women all my life. Women with chronic pain, with ever-gestating diseases. Women with conditions. Men, sure, they have bone snaps, they have backaches, they have a surgery or two, yank out a tonsil, insert a shiny plastic hip. Women get consumed. Not surprising considering the sheer amount of traffic a woman’s body experiences.”

Reporter Camille Preaker tries to unravel the truth of her own troubled past as she returns to her hometown to investigate the murders of two preteen girls.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307341550, Paperback)

As loyal Entertainment Weekly subscribers, we have been fans of Gillian Flynn for her smart, funny, and spot-on reviews of books, movies, and TV, but we were not prepared for her stunning debut novel Sharp Objects, a wickedly dark thriller that Stephen King calls a "relentlessly creepy family saga" and an "admirably nasty piece of work." We're calling it a cross between Twin Peaks and Secretary--sinister, sexy, and stylish. Perfect fall reading. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Gillian Flynn

Q: Do you prefer writing novels or reviewing?
A: I think writing is more pure--and actually a bit easier for me. It's just me and my laptop, not me and my laptop and a TV show that 30 people have worked on. Reviewing keeps you sharp--I can hardly watch or read anything without taking notes now--but plain old writing I find actually relaxing.

Q: Do think your writing is influenced more by books that you have read, or shows/movies that you have seen?
A: My mom spent her career as a reading teacher and my dad is a retired film professor, so I was really steeped in both books and movies growing up. To this day, when I get my dad on the phone, pretty much his first sentence is "Seen anything good lately?" I love putting words together (I've never met a simile I didn't like), but when I write I often think in "scenes"--I want these two people, in a dirty bar, with this song playing in the background.

Q: I hear you are working on your second book...is it is too early to ask what it's about?
A: I'm still playing around with the whole plot--when I wrote Sharp Objects, I wasn't even sure who the killer was for a bit. But I can say [the new book] has to do with family loyalty, false memories, a wrenching murder trial, and a dash of good 'ole 1980s hair metal and devil worship.

Q: What is your writing process like? Have you changed anything about how you work since your first book?
A: My writing process is incredibly inefficient, and hasn't changed between books. I really don't outline: I know basically how I want the story to start, and vaguely how I want it to end (though like I said, with Sharp Objects even that changed!). Then I just write: Some characters I start finding more interesting, some less. I write entire swaths that I pretty much know I'll cut. I have an entire file of "deleted scenes." I guess the one thing that has physically changed is I moved into a new place since my first book--it has a great bathtub, and I'll prop my laptop up and write in the bath for hours. Which is, admittedly, weird.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:01 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,628,933 books! | Top bar: Always visible