Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Sharp Objects

by Gillian Flynn

3,9752831,287 (3.75)1 / 319
    Generation Loss by Elizabeth Hand (cetera_desunt)
    The Snow Garden by Christopher Rice (VictoriaPL)
    Heartsick by Chelsea Cain (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: Twisted female antagonists.
    The Bad Seed by William March (dara85)
    The Twisted Thread by Charlotte Bacon (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: These books share a troubled but brave protagonist and buried secrets among the wealthy.
    Killing Critics by Carol O'Connell (citygirl)
    citygirl: Dark, so dark, twisty, disturbing murder mysteries with very unusual female protagonists written by skilled writers who may write with knives dipped in blood rather than pens.
    Night Film by Marisha Pessl (sturlington)
    Crazy Love You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dysfunctional relationship dynamics are at the heart of these compelling psychological suspense stories. Both feature women who expose -- and exploit -- buried secrets and long-hidden lies.
    Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (derelicious)
    Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Different types of plots, but both great examples of what newer writers are accomplishing in the horror genre.
    The Elementals by Michael McDowell (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Both books feature clusters of Victorian mansions.

English (273)  Dutch (4)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (279)
Another great book from Gillian Flynn.

This story focuses on the murder of two little girls in the narrator, Camille's hometown of Wind Gap, Missouri. I loved Camille! I loved the fact she was a cutter and just utterly f**ked up.

Camille's observations of the people of Wind Gap were refreshingly brutal and honest. Focusing on the harsher, filthier side of life. She gives the reader a portrait of the seedier side, such thirteen year olds doing drugs amongst other things.

I did guess who the initial murderer was but have to admit was stunned by the final twist.

I love the fact that Gillian Flynn creates female characters that feel real. They don't conform to any generic 'female protaganist' category, and I always have mixed feelings about them.

I hope Flynn continues to write books such as this and Gone Girl. ( )
  4everfanatical | Feb 5, 2016 |
I didn't care for this book. Too much weird cutting and killing. Not a satisfying ending.
  morsch | Feb 4, 2016 |
This was as engaging as any of her other novels, but it wasn't my favorite. The characters were almostly comically sinister to the point that they weren't believable. The twist ending in this also wasn't much of a surprise. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
This book is about a woman reporter (Camille) who returns to her very small home town to investigate the murders of two young girls. There are a lot of issues between Camille and her mother and her younger half-sister. Camille hasn't been back to her home town in many years and faces a lot of demons from her younger days. Finding out what is going on hits closer to home than she would like. I enjoyed this book a lot. I was on the edge of my seat till the end. ( )
  Jadedog13 | Feb 3, 2016 |
There is a lot that works for me in Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. Lord knows I love me some good crazy fictional characters, and Sharp Objects has a town full of them! Let's see...We have cutting, alcohol abuse, drug abuse, and all sorts of manipulation just zinging all over the town. Seriously, there isn't anyone who I liked in the sense that I would want them within ten feet of me, but, I did have a real understanding for the main character, Camille. I love how Gillian Flynn creates characters who are so **** unlikable, yet ones who I feel drawn to know more about. I love her writing style in general. It is super casual, real, and to the point. She says what she needs to say and moves along.
The unfortunate piece is the serial killer reveal that comes as no surprise. Come on, Gillian! It was so obvious that I thought you were pulling my leg. There are so many oddballs in this story, why couldn't you have masked it more? ( )
  StephLaymon | Feb 3, 2016 |
For my parents, Matt and Judith Flynn
My sweater was new, stinging red and ugly.
“The photo showed a dark-eyed girl with a feral grin and too much hair for her head. The kind of girl who’d be described by teachers as a ‘handful.’ I liked her.”
“Sometimes I think illness sits inside every woman, waiting for the right moment to bloom. I have known so many sick women all my life. Women with chronic pain, with ever-gestating diseases. Women with conditions. Men, sure, they have bone snaps, they have backaches, they have a surgery or two, yank out a tonsil, insert a shiny plastic hip. Women get consumed. Not surprising considering the sheer amount of traffic a woman’s body experiences.”

Reporter Camille Preaker tries to unravel the truth of her own troubled past as she returns to her hometown to investigate the murders of two preteen girls.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307341550, Paperback)

As loyal Entertainment Weekly subscribers, we have been fans of Gillian Flynn for her smart, funny, and spot-on reviews of books, movies, and TV, but we were not prepared for her stunning debut novel Sharp Objects, a wickedly dark thriller that Stephen King calls a "relentlessly creepy family saga" and an "admirably nasty piece of work." We're calling it a cross between Twin Peaks and Secretary--sinister, sexy, and stylish. Perfect fall reading. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Gillian Flynn

Q: Do you prefer writing novels or reviewing?
A: I think writing is more pure--and actually a bit easier for me. It's just me and my laptop, not me and my laptop and a TV show that 30 people have worked on. Reviewing keeps you sharp--I can hardly watch or read anything without taking notes now--but plain old writing I find actually relaxing.

Q: Do think your writing is influenced more by books that you have read, or shows/movies that you have seen?
A: My mom spent her career as a reading teacher and my dad is a retired film professor, so I was really steeped in both books and movies growing up. To this day, when I get my dad on the phone, pretty much his first sentence is "Seen anything good lately?" I love putting words together (I've never met a simile I didn't like), but when I write I often think in "scenes"--I want these two people, in a dirty bar, with this song playing in the background.

Q: I hear you are working on your second book...is it is too early to ask what it's about?
A: I'm still playing around with the whole plot--when I wrote Sharp Objects, I wasn't even sure who the killer was for a bit. But I can say [the new book] has to do with family loyalty, false memories, a wrenching murder trial, and a dash of good 'ole 1980s hair metal and devil worship.

Q: What is your writing process like? Have you changed anything about how you work since your first book?
A: My writing process is incredibly inefficient, and hasn't changed between books. I really don't outline: I know basically how I want the story to start, and vaguely how I want it to end (though like I said, with Sharp Objects even that changed!). Then I just write: Some characters I start finding more interesting, some less. I write entire swaths that I pretty much know I'll cut. I have an entire file of "deleted scenes." I guess the one thing that has physically changed is I moved into a new place since my first book--it has a great bathtub, and I'll prop my laptop up and write in the bath for hours. Which is, admittedly, weird.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:01 -0400)

Returning to her hometown after an eight-year absence and a short stay at a psychiatric hospital to investigate the murders of two girls, reporter Camille Preaker is reunited with her neurotic mother and enigmatic, thirteen-year-old half-sister as she works to uncover the truth about the killings.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,016,341 books! | Top bar: Always visible