Sharp Objects

by Gillian Flynn

7,988490865 (3.74)1 / 408
Returning to her hometown after an eight-year absence to investigate the murders of two girls, reporter Camille Preaker is reunited with her neurotic mother and enigmatic, thirteen-year-old half-sister as she works to uncover the truth about the killings.
    Heartsick by Chelsea Cain (MarcusH)
    MarcusH: Twisted female antagonists.
    Generation Loss by Elizabeth Hand (cetera_desunt)
    The Bad Seed by William March (dara85)
    The Secret Place by Tana French (wandering_star)
    The Twisted Thread by Charlotte Bacon (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: These books share a troubled but brave protagonist and buried secrets among the wealthy.
    Killing Critics by Carol O'Connell (citygirl)
    citygirl: Dark, so dark, twisty, disturbing murder mysteries with very unusual female protagonists written by skilled writers who may write with knives dipped in blood rather than pens.
    The Snow Garden by Christopher Rice (VictoriaPL)
    Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (derelicious)
    Crazy Love You by Lisa Unger (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Dysfunctional relationship dynamics are at the heart of these compelling psychological suspense stories. Both feature women who expose -- and exploit -- buried secrets and long-hidden lies.
    Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Different types of plots, but both great examples of what newer writers are accomplishing in the horror genre.
    The Elementals by Michael McDowell (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Both books feature clusters of Victorian mansions.

English (479)  Dutch (6)  Danish (1)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  All languages (490)
Gillian Flynn’s first novel, Sharp Objects, may not be quite as twisty as her wildly-popular Gone Girl, but it’s definitely full of nasty surprises, perverted motives, and outright evil. Perceptive readers will pick up on part of the secret fairly quickly; others will come, sooner or later, to the same conclusion at which protagonist Camille Preaker reluctantly arrives: You’re crazy to think what you’re thinking. You’re crazy not to think it.

Preaker, a somewhat less than brilliant reporter on a second-class Chicago daily, is sent to her suitably parochial Missouri hometown where the murder of two young girls in less than nine months has townspeople nervous and law enforcement in over their heads. Preaker’s editor sees an overlooked story that just might vault his struggling paper into prominence, and thinks the young woman’s local connections will help her dig out the details of the investigation. What the editor doesn’t understand, and what Preaker is too emotionally fragile to tell him, is that she has been estranged from her family for years, and that being plunged back into the emotional morass of a town where everyone knows – or thinks they know – everyone else’s business, is a living nightmare for her.

Flynn has drawn some of the nastiest fictional characters ever to slither around a suspense novel, including a quartet of middle-school girls teetering between sexual promiscuity and mean-girl bullying, a mother figure straight out of hell, and a protagonist with a wheelbarrow full of kinks – sexual and otherwise. It’s a horror scenario the reader can barely stand to watch, yet barely manage to put down. ( )
  LyndaInOregon | May 24, 2022 |
Wow. I seriously just read this book in four days. Four. I don't read books in four days.

A very twisted, psychological thriller, murder mystery all in modern time.

This chick is messed up.

If you liked Gone Girl, I would recommend this book. If you found that book a little hard to digest, skip this one.

I am obviously a sick person, as I literally could not stop reading this book.

Freaky freak stuff.

Loved it. ( )
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
Bad and boring. ( )
  tonimeter | May 13, 2022 |
I suspected the mother had something to do with it all along, so the twist with Amma was unexpected. The book was slow and repetitive when it came to Camille's self-harm, which I guess it should be if that's what the book is named after, but it was too much in my opinion, and not as interesting or necessary as other details. ( )
  zza1 | Apr 11, 2022 |
One of the bleakest, most shocking books I've read for some time. Brilliantly done. ( )
  whatmeworry | Apr 9, 2022 |
For my parents, Matt and Judith Flynn
My sweater was new, stinging red and ugly.
“The photo showed a dark-eyed girl with a feral grin and too much hair for her head. The kind of girl who’d be described by teachers as a ‘handful.’ I liked her.”
“Sometimes I think illness sits inside every woman, waiting for the right moment to bloom. I have known so many sick women all my life. Women with chronic pain, with ever-gestating diseases. Women with conditions. Men, sure, they have bone snaps, they have backaches, they have a surgery or two, yank out a tonsil, insert a shiny plastic hip. Women get consumed. Not surprising considering the sheer amount of traffic a woman’s body experiences.”

Reporter Camille Preaker tries to unravel the truth of her own troubled past as she returns to her hometown to investigate the murders of two preteen girls.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,312,809 books! | Top bar: Always visible