The Secret Place by Tana French

The Secret Place (2014)

by Tana French

Skippy Dies by Paul Murray (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Both books deal with the death of a teenage boy and private boarding schools in Ireland.
    Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight (sarahx2012)
    sarahx2012: Similar elements of mystery, plus a focus on what teenage girls are capable of.
    Dare Me by Megan Abbott (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Teenage girls are more dangerous than you think.

English (104)  German (1)  All (105)
These books are like crack. Well thought out characters and complex mysteries. I couldn't put it down. Some witchcrafts elements of this one baffled me (certainly did not fit in to her writing profile), but nonetheless I still found it addicting. ( )
  Abbey_Harlow | Oct 5, 2017 |
Tana French is my favorite mystery author, so I highly recommend the fifth book in her Dublin Murder Squad series! St. Kilda's, a boarding school for girls outside of Dublin, has a bulletin board called "The Secret Place" where the girls can express their deepest secrets anonymously. It is usually a place for gossip and rumors, but one day a photo shows up of a murdered boy with the caption, "I know who killed him." Detectives are called in and are immediately drawn in to the underground world of teenage girls, a place full of secrets, lies, and danger.

Laura W. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
I really like this author, and I wanted to like this book. But it moved so slow, I finally gave up.
  dcmr | Jul 4, 2017 |
I Received this book in first reads give away and really enjoyed it.It was the first book i had read by this author and definitely wont be the last.The secret place was well written and kept my interest until the very end, a thoroughly enjoyable read and a big thumbs up from me. ( )
  carpathian1974 | Jun 6, 2017 |
Another solid entry in the Dublin Murder Squad series. I liked that all the characters, including the teenage girls, were multi-dimensional people with their own distinct personalities, motivations, and growth. The alternation between present and past chapters worked well -- we learned something on one timeline just in time for it to come up or explain something on the other timeline. ( )
  lavaturtle | Mar 27, 2017 |
For Dana, Elana, Marianne and Quynh Giao,
Who luckily were nothing like this.
There's this song that keeps coming on the radio, but Holly can only ever catch bits of it.

The photo on the card shows a boy who was found murdered, a year ago, on the grounds of a girls’ boarding school in the leafy suburbs of Dublin. The caption says I KNOW WHO KILLED HIM.

Detective Stephen Moran has been waiting for his chance to get a foot in the door of Dublin’s Murder Squad—and one morning, sixteen-year-old Holly Mackey brings him this photo. “The Secret Place,” a board where the girls at St. Kilda’s School can pin up their secrets anonymously, is normally a mishmash of gossip and covert cruelty, but today someone has used it to reignite the stalled investigation into the murder of handsome, popular Chris Harper. Stephen joins forces with the abrasive Detective Antoinette Conway to find out who and why.

But everything they discover leads them back to Holly’s close-knit group of friends and their fierce enemies, a rival clique—and to the tangled web of relationships
that bound all the girls to Chris Harper. Every step in their direction turns up the pressure. Antoinette Conway is already suspicious of Stephen’s links to the Mackey family. St. Kilda’s will go a long way to keep murder outside their walls. Holly’s father, Detective Frank Mackey, is circling, ready to pounce if any of the new evidence points toward his daughter. And the private underworld of teenage girls can be more mysterious and more dangerous than either of the detectives imagined.

The photo on the card shows a boy who was found murdered, a year ago, on the grounds of a girls' boarding school in Dublin. The caption says: I KNOW WHO KILLED HIM. Detective Stephen Moran receives this photo from sixteen-year-old Holly Mackey. 'The Secret Place,' a board where the girls at the school can pin up their secrets anonymously, but was used to reignite the stalled investigation into the murder. Stephen joins forces with Detective Antoinette Conway to find out who and why.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,655,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible