Heart-Shaped Box (2007)

by Joe Hill

Rock star Judas Coyne is a collector of the bizarre and grotesque, so when he sees a ghost for sale on the internet he buys it. It comes delivered in a black heart-shaped box.
    The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (sturlington)
    sturlington: Both are very scary ghost stories.
    Gone South by Robert R. McCammon (5hrdrive)
    5hrdrive: Another weird road-trip to the Deep South.
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (5hrdrive)
    5hrdrive: Same relentless style with a supernatural theme.
    Ghost Radio: A Novel by Leopoldo Gout (asphyxiad0ll)
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Different types of plots, but both great examples of what newer writers are accomplishing in the horror genre.

English (337)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Danish (1)  Romanian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (347)
I have tried so many times to get through this but its too scary and I cant do it. ( )
  HeatherRoseBotta | Apr 12, 2022 |
Recommended to me by LibraryThing as I am a Stephen King fan and constant reader (60 books and still reading), little did I know that Joe is his son which was a nice surprise and I suppose the apple doesn't fall far....applies in this case. Overall I liked the book but it was kind of strange with some parts feeling like dads writing and then other parts distinctly different. Its like putting your hand into a warm, cozy glove that you are used to and then dipping it into and ice cold pitcher afterwards, feels different right! So the story is interesting, it grabs you early on but I did feel the ebb and pull of attention as I progressed through the book. Joe employed some cool techniques such as Jude calling his girlfriends by the state that they're from instead of their names and then going on to use Mary Beth's name towards the end of the story illustrating how their relationship had changed. The joining/combination of Anna and Mary Beth as a theme where she starts to sound more Southern and then coming back to life so to speak was also pretty neat. After this one will definitely give another one of his books a read. ( )
  thanesh | Apr 4, 2022 |
I'm hooked. Can't wait for Hill's next book..Snips:p18: ...the radio was just background sound, the auditory equivalent of wallpaper. ( )
  reneeg | Dec 13, 2021 |
One of the best examples of the few literary horror works out there. ( )
  bxwretlind | Dec 10, 2021 |
I liked the beginning a lot but it went downhill for me after that. I thought it was ok, but not anything too compelling. I skimmed quite a bit at the end. ( )
  readingjag | Nov 29, 2021 |
"Heart-Shaped Box" truly deserves the superlatives heaped upon it by the publicists who smoothed the path of this first novel's advent.

Hill masterfully keeps the action moving and the drama escalating, giving readers just enough revelations to keep them on board this Southern train of a ghost story.

While I would not go so far as to hand Joe Hill his father's crown just yet, this debut is a promising start. It's safe to say a new contender for the throne has arrived.

Heart-Shaped Box isn't about appeasing fathers, and learning to love them, and seeing that they, too, are human beings and not monsters. It's not about that at all. It's about knowing your father, and finding him, and then killing him. That's what the best artists do.

Hill’s debut novel is as assured a debut novel as I have ever read, regardless of genre. Heart-Shaped Box, itself an entertaining and superb novel, offers hints of a great writing career to come.

Hill, Joeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mortensen, Hans PalleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosier, ValérieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sierra, Julio A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Editora Sextante (2007), Arqueiro (2010)
How may the dead have destinations?

—Alan Moore, Voice of the Fire
For my dad, one of the good ones
Jude had a private collection.

Joe Hill is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,408,686 books! | Top bar: Always visible