Heart-Shaped Box (2007)

by Joe Hill

Rock star Judas Coyne is a collector of the bizarre and grotesque, so when he sees a ghost for sale on the internet he buys it. It comes delivered in a black heart-shaped box.
    The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (sturlington)
    sturlington: Both are very scary ghost stories.
    Gone South by Robert McCammon (5hrdrive)
    5hrdrive: Another weird road-trip to the Deep South.
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (5hrdrive)
    5hrdrive: Same relentless style with a supernatural theme.
    Ghost Radio: A Novel by Leopoldo Gout (asphyxiad0ll)
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Different types of plots, but both great examples of what newer writers are accomplishing in the horror genre.

English (324)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Danish (1)  Romanian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (334)
This story, written by Joe Hill (King family) is about an aged rock star who purchases a ghost to find that maybe this impulse wasn't the best thing he ever did. The rest of the story is about all the people he has hurt. It is a sort of love story among all the horror. Could have done without the child abuse, sadism, and masochistic aura of the book.
  Kristelh | Apr 7, 2021 |
Pet Lover's Warning: You will definitely be disturbed by this book.....if I had known ahead of time I never would have picked it up and read it. I even read the spoilers in the reviews for NOS4A2 and found out I really needed to avoid that book, too.

Clean up your act, Joe Hill, no more of this manipulative crap or I am never going to read anything else you write. Leave the pets out of it! ( )
  Equestrienne | Jan 5, 2021 |
A bit grisly and ghosty for me, probably not a bad book, but I won't be looking for more of those to read... ( )
  rendier | Dec 20, 2020 |
I had wanted to read a Joe Hill book for sometime now. I started The Fireman and decided to stop (it was looong and eventually I lost interest) So here I am with Heart-Shaped Box and found it boring. Not giving up yet! Might give NOS4A2 or Horns a try. DNF 63% (7hrs).
  xKayx | Dec 14, 2020 |
Narrator doing a great job (Stephen Lang) but I was not enjoying the book until we started hearing about Florida's story. Hopefully it will hold my interest from here to the end.
----------------------

Well it was readable and I made it to the end but I can't say I liked it. I can't really define to myself why I didn't really care for it. I will probably pass on further stories from Mr. King's son. ( )
  Seayla2020 | Nov 21, 2020 |
"Heart-Shaped Box" truly deserves the superlatives heaped upon it by the publicists who smoothed the path of this first novel's advent.

Hill masterfully keeps the action moving and the drama escalating, giving readers just enough revelations to keep them on board this Southern train of a ghost story.

While I would not go so far as to hand Joe Hill his father's crown just yet, this debut is a promising start. It's safe to say a new contender for the throne has arrived.

Heart-Shaped Box isn't about appeasing fathers, and learning to love them, and seeing that they, too, are human beings and not monsters. It's not about that at all. It's about knowing your father, and finding him, and then killing him. That's what the best artists do.

Hill’s debut novel is as assured a debut novel as I have ever read, regardless of genre. Heart-Shaped Box, itself an entertaining and superb novel, offers hints of a great writing career to come.

Hill, Joeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mortensen, Hans PalleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosier, ValérieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sierra, Julio A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Editora Sextante (2007), Arqueiro (2010)
How may the dead have destinations?

—Alan Moore, Voice of the Fire
For my dad, one of the good ones
Jude had a private collection.

Joe Hill is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,850,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible