Fates and Furies

by Lauren Groff

3,1251933,484 (3.59)222
"From the award-winning, New York Times bestselling author of The Monsters of Templeton and Arcadia, an exhilarating novel about marriage, creativity, art, and perception. Fates and Furies is a literary masterpiece that defies expectation. A dazzling examination of a marriage, it is also a portrait of creative partnership written by one of the best writers of her generation. Every story has two sides. Every relationship has two perspectives. And sometimes, it turns out, the key to a great marriage is not its truths but its secrets. At the core of this rich, expansive, layered novel, Lauren Groff presents the story of one such marriage over the course of twenty-four years. At age twenty-two, Lotto and Mathilde are tall, glamorous, madly in love, and destined for greatness. A decade later, their marriage is still the envy of their friends, but with an electric thrill we understand that things are even more complicated and remarkable than they have seemed. With stunning revelations and multiple threads, and in prose that is vibrantly alive and original, Groff delivers a deeply satisfying novel about love, art, creativity, and power that is unlike anything that has come before it. Profound, surprising, propulsive, and emotionally riveting, it stirs both the mind and the heart"--… (more)
    The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides (tralliott)
    Crossing to Safety by Wallace Earle Stegner (beyondthefourthwall)
    Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl (beyondthefourthwall)
    beyondthefourthwall: Families that seem close on the surface but under the surface turn out to have a lot of multilayered mysterious secrets.
    Cascade by Maryanne O'Hara (beyondthefourthwall)
    beyondthefourthwall: A marriage inextricable from life in the theatre turns out to look very different to one partner from how it does to the other, and the character dynamics as things unfold will prove to be tricky indeed.
    The Girls by Emma Cline (sturlington)
    Trust Exercise by Susan Choi (beyondthefourthwall)
    beyondthefourthwall: ...and then, halfway through, we discover that all is not as it seems.
    Euphoria by Lily King (sturlington)
    The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt (pbirch01)
    pbirch01: Both have protagonists that use rare artworks to get what they want and execute their plan over many years
    Dept. of Speculation by Jenny Offill (sturlington)
    Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel (sturlington)
    Poison by Susan Fromberg Schaeffer (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These literary domestic fiction novels examine the nature of married love and the inner thoughts and perceptions of family members as they interact. Both are character-driven and portray the importance of perception and expectation in marriage.… (more)
    Gold Fame Citrus by Claire Vaye Watkins (sturlington)

English (190)  Piratical (1)  Dutch (1)  Latvian (1)  All languages (193)
I put F&F down to read other more time-sensitive books, and now it has to go back to the library tomorrow. I'll pick it up again someday (note to self: I'm on p. 156). Groff is a unique writer whose innovations are well worth my time; Monsters of Templeton is easily in my Top Ten pantheon. But the unique storytelling style doesn't make up for the irritating, self-involved main character in this one. I'm not interested enough to tick off the next person in the holds queue by returning it late. Maybe the next reader will like it better.
  IVLeafClover | Jun 21, 2022 |
I basically like this book but I can't figure out why and I don't know of anyone I would recommend it to. The first half was not as good as the second half (her story is more compelling than his story). I almost put it down before getting to the second half, but I really did like the second half. Go figure. ( )
  kathp | Jun 10, 2022 |
well written, but story line not credible ( )
  jmhdassen | Jun 9, 2022 |
I was introduced to Lauren Groff via the LibraryThing early review program more than a decade ago with her book [Arcadia]. I loved the book, and I excitedly picked up Monsters of Templeton a couple years later, loved that as well. So when I saw Fates and Furies at my local used book store, I snatched it up.

I was disappointed at first, but I should have had more faith. I just looked up some reviews and saw literary critics with an opposing view, but I thought the first part of the novel was not as strong, but act two was the big payoff. By the end, I was confident I'll track down Groff's collection of short stories I've yet to read and she remains one of my very favorite contemporary writers. ( )
  Sean191 | May 5, 2022 |
I had a hard time getting into this book. There were too many drinking, drugging and sex scenes, which got boring after a while. Especially during the first part (from Lotto's point of view) I wondered what the point of the book was. I considered abandoning it. But the story picked up when Lotto and Mathilde are financially struggling, and there is more about their characters.
The second part, Fates, is from Mathilde's point of view. Like becomes a best seller/ soap opera her truth is shocking, but also very far fetched and melodramatic. In the end it all felt cheap and uninteresting. ( )
  Marietje.Halbertsma | Jan 9, 2022 |
‘Fates and Furies,’’ Lauren Groff’s pyrotechnic new novel, tells the story of a marriage and of marriage writ large. It is also an exploration of character — good, evil, flat, round, genetic, forged by circumstance, all of the above — and a wild play upon literary history. Groff grafts the contemporary fiction of suburban anomie and New York manners onto künstlerroman, myth, and epic in a dazzling fusion of classic and (post)modern, tragedy and comedy.

Lauren Groff is a writer of rare gifts, and “Fates and Furies” is an unabashedly ambitious novel that delivers — with comedy, tragedy, well-deployed erudition and unmistakable glimmers of brilliance throughout.

The novel tells the story of Lotto and Mathilde Satterwhite. He is the darling of a prosperous Florida family – “Lotto was special. Golden”. She, an apparent “ice princess”, is the survivor of a past about which her husband has only the fuzziest idea beyond it being “sad and dark”, and above all “blank behind her”. The first half of the book offers Lotto’s view of their life together as he rises from charming but failed actor to celebrated playwright, thanks in no small part to Mathilde’s editorial finesse. The second half reveals that Mathilde has, through implacable willpower, transcended circumstances that read like a hotchpotch of Greek tragedy, fable and detective novel. Much of what Lotto takes for granted in his good fortune, it turns out, is due to Mathilde’s ruthless machination, right down to their marriage itself. She genuinely loves him, but she initially set out to win him for mercenary reasons.

Lotto’s story is fairly plausible, a life that might transpire in the world the rest of us inhabit; Mathilde’s story contains more outlandishly fictional twists than those of David Copperfield, The Goldfinch’s Theo Decker, and Becky Sharp combined.

Lauren Groffprimary authorall editionscalculated
Damron, WillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

For Clay
[Of course]
A thick drizzle from the sky, like a curtain's sudden sweeping.
Hot milk of a world, with its skin of morning fog in the window.
In her sleep her eyelids were so translucent that he always thought if he looked hard, he could see her dreams pulsing like jellyfish across her brain.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,748,170 books! | Top bar: Always visible