The Girls by Emma Cline

The Girls (2016)

by Emma Cline

A Fatal Inversion by Barbara Vine (shaunie)
    shaunie: Similar doom-laden atmosphere with something horrible about to happen in the summer heat - but whilst Cline's book is this year's must-read Vine's book is far more tense and exciting.
    Cruel Beautiful World: A Novel by Caroline Leavitt (KatyBee)

English (175)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (182)
Fantastic first novel and the first first novel in ages that actually makes me want to read a second. Razor sharp insights into the simultaneous power and impotence of teenaged girls.

A book about being female written by a women shouldn't seem so unusual and yet...

The framing story set in the now may have been a little on the nose, but overall this was a fine and mature piece of work. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
An incredibly compelling exploration of how difficult girlhood often is, the muddled confusion and conflicting expectations. The way that people can prey on women and girls and the stripped down grit that often underlies easy promises of paradise. The main thing that stopped me from giving it five stars was the ending, which I found a little weak, a little too general and unoriginal. But overall it was a very good book, messed up but no more so than the world, not an escape but an experience and in much better prose than the real world gives you. ( )
  CaptainBookamir | Mar 11, 2019 |
Quit after the first two or three chapters. The writing is so smooth I was sailing through it, but the narrator is such a sad sack I couldn't bear to be around her. Clearly necessary for this story, but there's got to be a way to put some tiny pockets of light around such a depressed character. I had a similar reaction to Ignatius J Reilly in A Confederacy of Dunces. I must have read other books with a depressive narrator that worked for me, but I can't think of a single one.
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
There is a lot of hype about this book. I really did not like it. I did not like the characters, nor the premise of the book. The story is about Evie Boyd, who at the age of 14 becomes enamored with an older girl named Suzanne. She sees Suzanne and a group of girls one day, They are part of a cult like group, led by a man named Russell. The story is told in flashbacks, alternating between present day and 1969. It is full of alcohol, drugs, and sex, and sadly, a horrible act of violence. ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
So beautifully written and suspenseful. Super into it. ( )
  Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
The Girls works a well-tapped vein in literary fiction: the queasy exploration of how young women with crippled egos can become accessories to their own degradation. Joyce Carol Oates and Mary Gaitskill are masters of this theme. Cline’s contribution is a heady evocation of the boredom and isolation of adolescence in pre-internet suburbia, in houses deserted by their restless, doubt-stricken adult proprietors where “the air was candied with silence.” The novel is heavy with figurative language; Cline has a telling fondness for the word “humid.” Not all of this comes off effectively (Evie’s mom makes Chinese ribs that “had a glandular sheen, like a lacquer”), but most of it does (Evie, dazzled by her father’s girlfriend, thinks she has a life “like a TV show about summer.”)
added by Nickelini | editSlate, Laura Miller (Jun 7, 2016)

I looked up because of the laughter, and kept looking because of the girls.
The sun spiked through the trees, like always—the drowsy willows, the hot wind gusting over the picnic blankets—but the familiarity of the day was disturbed by the path the girls cut across the regular world. Sleek and thoughtless as sharks breaching the water.

Mesmerized by a band of girls in the park whom she perceives as enjoying a life of free and careless abandon, 1960s teen Evie Boyd becomes obsessed with gaining acceptance into their circle. Evie, grateful for their charismatic leader's attention, the sense of family the group offers, and the assurance of the girls, is swept into their chaotic cult existence. As things turn darker, her choices become riskier. A wonderfully written debut novel about the harm we can do, to ourselves and others, in our hunger for belonging and acceptance. --… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,118,243 books! | Top bar: Always visible