The Girls by Emma Cline

The Girls (2016)

by Emma Cline

A Fatal Inversion by Barbara Vine (shaunie)
    shaunie: Similar doom-laden atmosphere with something horrible about to happen in the summer heat - but whilst Cline's book is this year's must-read Vine's book is far more tense and exciting.
    Eileen: A Novel by Ottessa Moshfegh (sturlington)
    Cruel Beautiful World: A Novel by Caroline Leavitt (KatyBee)

English (160)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (167)
(AKA - I AM VICTIM, HEAR ME WHINE)

After reading The Girls I don't think it deserved all the hype. It was a decent read that was pretty much a retelling of the Manson murders. A little different, with some interesting writing and phrases, but nothing to go running around screaming with excitement.

I think that Emma Cline did a nice service to the voice of her character, Evie, as far as her level of bold honesty. Kind of writing to the bones if you will. I really hated, however, that there was a large part of Evie's character that was self loathing, playing a victim, and how much she sung the woes of being a woman. Some of her faults may have been necessary in order for her to show why Evie might have been the kind of girl that could be attracted to a cult, but it was the constant victimization of women that really made me want to shake her. I get that the novel is set in late 1969, and I know the plights of being a woman are a popular topic, but damn. Honestly, give me ANY group of people be it of man, woman, or child, and I can show you some level of oppression. I fount it good enough for Evie to have landed herself in the bad situation because of a bad home life, looking for love, and all that jazz, and hated her using being a woman as an excuse for her sorry ass life.

I appreciate the way that the reader is privy to the details of all the horrors of what went on and the way that Emma Cline delivered the information in tidbits, as needed, without too much graphic description. Her 'as you need to know approach was perfect for a book that must have been hard not to make too gruesome.

I recommend this book to readers who like to be just a little creeped out, and are interested in the cults, and/or the inner workings of the teenage mind in what was mostly a very realistic way.

For you ladies who are all about exploiting the women's rights movement, this one is definitely for you. You will love it. *rolls eyes ( )
  StephLaymon | Aug 13, 2018 |

StephLaymon | Aug 12, 2018 |
Cults, murder, painful adolescent girlhood--what's not to love?
  thishannah | Jul 17, 2018 |
3.5 out of 5. I feel I would of enjoyed The Girls more if I hadn't read about the Manson killings, because this book is basically just a fictional retelling of what happened except from a girl's point of view who got sucked into the cult. It's an interesting book and Evie's character is aware and makes observations about the crap women, especially adolescent girls, have to deal with. I wish more of the story focused on Evie and her insights and not on the Mansonesque factors. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Jul 9, 2018 |
3 STARS.

I was so excited to read this. I almost purchased this book several times. After reading it, I'm glad I didn't. It was alright, but there was something off about the writing. ( )
  itswawawhitney | Jun 19, 2018 |
The Girls works a well-tapped vein in literary fiction: the queasy exploration of how young women with crippled egos can become accessories to their own degradation. Joyce Carol Oates and Mary Gaitskill are masters of this theme. Cline’s contribution is a heady evocation of the boredom and isolation of adolescence in pre-internet suburbia, in houses deserted by their restless, doubt-stricken adult proprietors where “the air was candied with silence.” The novel is heavy with figurative language; Cline has a telling fondness for the word “humid.” Not all of this comes off effectively (Evie’s mom makes Chinese ribs that “had a glandular sheen, like a lacquer”), but most of it does (Evie, dazzled by her father’s girlfriend, thinks she has a life “like a TV show about summer.”)
added by Nickelini | editSlate, Laura Miller (Jun 7, 2016)

I looked up because of the laughter, and kept looking because of the girls.
The sun spiked through the trees, like always—the drowsy willows, the hot wind gusting over the picnic blankets—but the familiarity of the day was disturbed by the path the girls cut across the regular world. Sleek and thoughtless as sharks breaching the water.

Mesmerized by a band of girls in the park whom she perceives as enjoying a life of free and careless abandon, 1960s teen Evie Boyd becomes obsessed with gaining acceptance into their circle. Evie, grateful for their charismatic leader's attention, the sense of family the group offers, and the assurance of the girls, is swept into their chaotic cult existence. As things turn darker, her choices become riskier. A wonderfully written debut novel about the harm we can do, to ourselves and others, in our hunger for belonging and acceptance. --… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,158,051 books! | Top bar: Always visible