The Girls by Emma Cline

The Girls (2016)

by Emma Cline

Cruel Beautiful World: A Novel by Caroline Leavitt (KatyBee)
    A Fatal Inversion by Barbara Vine (shaunie)
    shaunie: Similar doom-laden atmosphere with something horrible about to happen in the summer heat - but whilst Cline's book is this year's must-read Vine's book is far more tense and exciting.
    Eileen: A Novel by Ottessa Moshfegh (sturlington)

English (112)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (3)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All (120)
On a warm August night in 1969, the news of a series of murders in California flashed on my small television screen. At first the news reported that perhaps it was a hate crime involving the Black Panther but that was Charles Manson's idea.

This fictional account of the Manson family told by a former cult member who escaped the trance of another psychopath who ordered the murder of a famous musician similar to Dennis Wilson of the Beach Boys. The girls of Russell's Ranch are also social outcasts who are easily manipulated into committing murder and being sexual objects. The Age of Aquarius created a runway society who enabled men to control poor self loathing woman for their own purposes. ( )
  Gingersnap000 | Jun 18, 2017 |
I heard a lot of hype about this book and I also wanted to really enjoy it. When I started it, I was entertained. But eventually it just dragged on and on. The chapters about her present life were probably my least favorite. She was just so sad, pathetic and depressing it really ruined it. I guess she wasn't trying to paint a pretty picture of the experience and wanted to show how badly it scarred her for life. Halfway through I was begging for it to finally get to the point, and then it did and it was underwhelming. Maybe I'm not sympathetic enough to the narrators experiences, or maybe I was more interested in the gruesome murder promised all through the story, only to have it be swept over in maybe one chapter.

Bottom line, I should've liked a book like this but it just didn't do it for me. I might revisit the author again though. I prefer rating out of 10, so I'd give this one about a 5/10. ( )
  AnaV93 | Jun 17, 2017 |
The premise is hardly original, but this take on Charles Manson - or, more specifically, the story of a girl drawn into a cult member's orbit - is written with such skill that any misgivings melt away within a few pages. The story builds, inevitably, to The Murders and keeps the reader guessing over the narrator's involvement right to the last minute. I'll definitely be looking out for more from Cline. ( )
  alexrichman | Jun 6, 2017 |
I hadn't even heard of the Charlie Manson story before I read this book, which is loosely based on that horror. The writing was lucid, and the story evocative without being overly dramatic. Ok, perhaps a little. In its own way, it questions the nature of attachment, and that perennial question: How evil can we be? Would we really do what the lost girls in this book did? ( )
  Soulmuser | May 30, 2017 |
Good summer read!!! ( )
  gail616 | May 25, 2017 |
The Girls works a well-tapped vein in literary fiction: the queasy exploration of how young women with crippled egos can become accessories to their own degradation. Joyce Carol Oates and Mary Gaitskill are masters of this theme. Cline’s contribution is a heady evocation of the boredom and isolation of adolescence in pre-internet suburbia, in houses deserted by their restless, doubt-stricken adult proprietors where “the air was candied with silence.” The novel is heavy with figurative language; Cline has a telling fondness for the word “humid.” Not all of this comes off effectively (Evie’s mom makes Chinese ribs that “had a glandular sheen, like a lacquer”), but most of it does (Evie, dazzled by her father’s girlfriend, thinks she has a life “like a TV show about summer.”)
added by Nickelini | editSlate, Laura Miller (Jun 7, 2016)

I looked up because of the laughter, and kept looking because of the girls.
The sun spiked through the trees, like always—the drowsy willows, the hot wind gusting over the picnic blankets—but the familiarity of the day was disturbed by the path the girls cut across the regular world. Sleek and thoughtless as sharks breaching the water.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,077,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible