Miss Julia Throws a Wedding (2002)

by Ann B. Ross

Series: Miss Julia (3)

Miss Julia Springer, who combines Southern grace, the dignity of a woman "of a certain age," an encyclopedic knowledge of etiquette, and a bitingly sharp tongue, is at a loss. Her late husband's former illicit squeeze, who is now her best friend, is going to live in sin with her friend Mr. Pickens instead of with her. Fortunately, a wedding is on the horizon. The happy couple was planning to have a perfunctory courthouse wedding, but Miss Julia has plans of her own for a real honest-to-goodness ceremony, albeit with some shortcuts on the etiquette side.… (more)

An entertaining, fun book. Miss Julia gets involved in so many people's lives but she usually tries to make them better. This time she helps a young couple that are already intimately involved (and expecting a baby, no less) get married. All this while during building a Family Life Center at the church across the street, strange things are seen in the brickwork. She makes me laugh when s Miss Julia talks about other females flying off the handle and getting carried away when I think that is just what Miss Julia does! Oh, well, things end well. ( )
  LilQuebe | Oct 30, 2019 |
I have read several of the "Miss Julia" books, and all are enjoyable. I like to read a series in chronological order if possible, and was surprised to find #3 on my to-read shelf, since I've already read many more. After a few chapters it began to seem familiar and I realized I had read it a while ago. But it was a fun plot and I had already been drawn into the story, so I reread it - no regrets and plenty of laughs. This is the kind of lighthearted story to read when you need a change of pace from heavier, serious topics. Miss Julia is a widow of a certain age who always "speaks her mind" (the title of book #1) and takes things literally. She desperately hangs onto the manners and etiquette of a proper Southern woman without a sense of humor, but with everyone's best interests at heart. In #3 she is thrilled when Deputy Coleman Bates (her boarder) and Binkie Enloe (her attorney) announce their plans to tie the knot at the courthouse. But Miss Julia insists on a real wedding ceremony and offers to provide one. It's no spoiler that a wedding takes place, in spite of all the roadblocks and shenanigans. ( )
  PhyllisReads | Apr 27, 2019 |
3.5 ( )
  tkcs | Feb 23, 2019 |
Synopsis: Miss Julia's lawyer and her boarder are going to get married. Miss Julia thinks that they need a real wedding rather than simply going to the courthouse. She convinces them that she can make this happen within two weeks. This leads to all sorts of issues, not the least of which is a thief who has escaped from jail and is stealing odd things from all sorts of people.
Review: There's not much mystery and a whole lot of dithering and beating of breast about getting the characters married. The ending does bring in the thefts in a cute manner. I still don't like the main character much. ( )
  DrLed | Nov 5, 2016 |
This third in the series is just wonderful ... I thought I might get tired of the series, but not so far. The wedding is a HOOT!! ( )
  GeetuM | Jun 3, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

This book is for

Chuck Colhoun, Michael Martin,

and Jennifer Ross---

Miracles by marriage.
I've a good mind to sell this house.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,441,519 books! | Top bar: Always visible