The First Three Minutes by Steven Weinberg

The First Three Minutes (1976)

by Steven Weinberg

English (6)  German (1)  All languages (7)
This stuff is interesting, and I love thinking about cosmology. But reading this book reminded me of just how lousy scientists are at communicating beautiful ideas from their work to people outside their own field. I have several years of college physics and several astrophysics/cosmology courses as background, and I still found parts of this book nearly unreadable. I think a lot more people would understand the math and science bits of this book if they were supported by better writing for pleasure-reading. After all, a small paperback like this is not a textbook. ( )
  JBarringer | Dec 30, 2017 |
Review when I get back home ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
Weinberg may be a brilliant physicist but he is lacking as a popular science writer. Read the 1988 paper back edition. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
I first tried reading this book probably 20 years ago, and abandoned it when it got too damned technical.
When I picked it up again, I think I may have gotten further than I did the first time. But that may have just been my ego to plod through more pages that were beyond my comprehension than I did last time. Maybe I should just wait for THE FIRST THREE MINUTES FOR DUMMIES to come out.
To be fair, the author tries to write as clearly as possible. But it's just some really complicated stuff.
  dickmanikowski | Aug 14, 2014 |
One of the finest works of popular cosmology. It is challenging reading, not least because, perhaps, you'll question whether your life means anything whatsoever. Thumbs up! ( )
  gilbs | Jul 9, 2010 |

Quale fu l'origine dell'universo? Come si spiega la sua attuale fisionomia? Quale sarà, se ci sarà, la sua fine? Questi sono gli interrogativi seducenti che tutti, almeno una volta, ci siamo posti e che fino a pochi anni fa non ricevevano risposta. Weinberg, grazie ai recentissimi progressi della ricerca scientifica, è in grado di elaborare una serie di risposte; egli si immerge nel magma primordiale, ricostruisce i processi svoltisi nei primi tre minuti della storia dell'universo, ci presenta immagini esplosive, schiude inquietanti prospettive sul nostro futuro. Il suo discorso sembra aggirarsi, a tratti, in un territorio irreale, alla frontiera tra scienza e fantascienza. Eppure ogni conclusione è fondata su solidi presupposti. Questo libro, scritto in un linguaggio il possibile semplice, chiaro, essenziale, è destinato al profano ma appassionerà anche il competente. Qualunque sia il grado di preparazione, il lettore viene irresistibilmente coinvolto in un affascinante viaggio nel tempo e, addirittura, alle origini del tempo.
(piopas)

This classic of contemporary science writing by a Nobel Prize-winning physicist explains to general readers what happened when the universe began, and how we know.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:45 -0400)

Now updated with a major new afterword that incorporates the latest cosmological research, this classic of contemporary science writing by a Nobel Prize-winning physicist explains what happened when the universe began-and how we know.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,241,907 books! | Top bar: Always visible