The Taking

by Dean Koontz

Molly and Niel Sloan awake to see golden rain falling. In their remote California mountain town, they learn from their television of enormous waterspouts and blizzards around the globe; then, the television ceases, as do all other forms of communication with the outside world. The Sloans are left, together with their neighbors, in the midst of a purple fog, disturbed by a threat they cannot identify or understand. Together they discover that the world is being prepared for beings other than themselves--beings with vast technological powers at their disposal, who will stop at nothing to hunt them down and kill them all.… (more)
    The Conqueror Worms by Brian Keene (beadzombie)
    beadzombie: Another apocalyptic book with a similar premise. Worth a read for sure if you even mildly enjoyed The Taking by Koontz.

English (64)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (66)
This was kind of a lame book in my opinion. Lots of quotes from TS Eliot and the husband seems kind of wimpy. I do like strong female characters but this isn't it ( )
  Sunandsand | Apr 30, 2022 |
When strange things start to happen in Molly, and Neil's town, they both realize that something supernatural is behind it. Packing stuff, and leaving their home, they head to their nearest town, only to find it taken over by something. As things get stranger, they both realize, that somehow, some way, they must save the town's remaining children.
In true Dean Koontz style, I found this book tense, thrilling, creepy, and very on the edge reading. Molly and Neil were both very brave in their determination to save the children, despite all the things standing in their way. ( )
  deaflower | Mar 14, 2022 |
Unputdownable!

I love Dean Koontz books and I’ve read several of them. Even 3/4 of the way through this one, I didn’t know how it could wrap up and I’d be happy. I should’ve trusted the Koontz process — except I got nothing else done today! Oh well, worth it!! ( )
  relorenz1064 | Nov 21, 2021 |
I've enjoyed a lot of Koontz books. This is not one of them. It was a chore to get through, and the story did little for me. The writing was terrible. It was repetitious and seemed like it was written by a high school student trying to impress a teacher with their vocabulary. I ran into a number of words I didn't recognize, and neither did the Kindle dictionary. ( )
  OgreZed | Sep 15, 2020 |
Sometimes the forest appeared to her as a green cathedral. The massive pine trunks were columns in a vast nave, and the spreading boughs formed groin vaults and fan vaults high overhead.
Now, with the reverential hush of the woods replaced by the din of the downpour, the gloom coiling among the trees seemed to be of a different character from that on any previous night. The god of this cathedral was the lord of darkness.

It starts with strangely luminous rain, reports of massive waterspouts sinking ships, and an attack on the International Space Station. But is this an alien invasion or something supernatural?

Most of the way through I was thinking I would give it 3 stars, but I liked the ending more than I thought I would, so I am giving it 3.5 stars. ( )
  isabelx | Apr 5, 2020 |
In my beginning is my end.
-T. S. Eliot, East Coker
When you're alone in the middle of the night and you wake in a sweat and a hell of a fright . . .
-T. S. Eliot, Fragment of an Agon
This book is dedicated to Joe Stefko:
great drummer, publisher of equisite special editions, dog-lover . . . three virtues that guarantee Heaven.
The bad feet can be overlooked.
A few minutes past one o'clock in the morning, a hard rain fell without warning.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,183,298 books! | Top bar: Always visible