Quiet Girl in a Noisy World: An Introvert's…

Quiet Girl in a Noisy World: An Introvert's Story (2017)

by Debbie Tung

This is my second borrowed Hoopla book. My first was Book Love, another book by this same author/artist. I’d found myself out and with some unexpected free time and without my current hardcover book so I borrowed this one. I read it in one day. These comics books lend themselves well to e-reading, even though normally I read paper books.

I adore Debbie Tung’s art and I appreciate her POV and identify with much (but not all) about her life and experiences.

I’m not as introverted as the author. I’m not an extreme introvert. On the continuum I’m definitely well over on the introverted versus extroverted side; I have aspects of both. But I knew this book would fit me and that I would love it and I already knew I loved her art style and writing/captions.

I think I liked this book slightly less than Book Love but I still loved it. Many of favorite cartoons were the ones about books and reading.

I did love this part though. This list: Introvert, highly sensitive person, empath, shy, compulsive worrier and over thinker and what she says about them fitting her:

“In hindsight, I should have been terribly disappointed at the discovery of so many flaws. But instead, I felt immense relief.” (Page 152 of my e-book)

Yes! That was me when I first learned about introverted vs. extroverted personalities. I’d gotten so much criticism when I was young for not joining enough groups and not liking large noisy parties, preferring one on one and small intimate group social experiences. The “lonely in a crowd” definitely fits me, even more so in my early years than now.

She’s so honest and so relatable. I love the humor and the pathos. I recognized so many of her experiences in my own, but I think that most people who appreciate her art style (as I do!) will enjoy her work, even if they are gung ho extraverts.

I’m happy for this artist/author that she was able to feel comfortable with herself as she has and to pursue the creative career she’d wanted. I enjoy her art & books, and I envy her artistic talent.

I’ve loved both books I’ve read so far and will follow her and read/view all her work I can find. ( )
  Lisa2013 | Mar 14, 2019 |
The title of this graphic novel leaped out at me and I quietly squealed with delight! "This is me, I'm that quiet girl"! The thing is, although the book began with the typical quiet reader's idiosyncrasies like introverted behavior, the love of cozy spaces and peaceful environments, it went far beyond what I've experienced. Angst? Over thinking? Huh! I'm too busy reading to even think let alone over think. Not to say that it doesn't happen. Author and Illustrator, Debbie Tung, seems to have wrapped all the possible behaviors into her "Quiet Girl", Debbie. The message being, you are normal! There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a quiet reader, in fact, you are not alone, just too quiet to discuss it with others. Revel in your shyness, accept your bookishness and instead of adapting to the behavior of others, adapt your life style to your love of books and like Debbie, you too, may find the people who love and accept you for what you are. ( )
  Carmenere | Feb 19, 2019 |
All her life, Debbie has been shy and anxious. social events exhaust her, and she'd much rather be spending time on her own. She wonders if something is wrong with her, but a deeper understanding of her personality leads to self-acceptance.

As a fellow introvert (in fact, a fellow INFJ), this book touches on many of my own concerns and insecurities. I appreciated the positive tone of the book, as well as certain touching moments that brought a tear to my eye. Recommended for introverts and the extroverts that love them. ( )
  foggidawn | Feb 5, 2019 |
Debbie Tung tells her story, from graduate school to a couple of years later, of learning about who she is and learning to embrace it, in panels showing both humor and awkwardness in situations in which introverts will recognize themselves. I especially loved the scenes with her extrovert husband and how understanding he was of her difference. Though I don't have the same shyness or social anxiety as the author, I could relate to a lot of what she said - like how excited she gets about having nothing to do this weekend (I *might* have done that when a bachelorette party was postponed last weekend due to snow) and brings a book everywhere, even when she know she can't read it. This is a really delightful collection that may appeal to readers of Sarah's Scribbles (Adulthood is a Myth and Big Mushy Happy Lump), though the drawing in Quiet Girl is more realistic. ( )
  bell7 | Feb 2, 2019 |
What a great book to finally illuminate many quiet, introspective, insecure, and loving souls!

I just wish the author had found other solutions for Quiet Girl other than meeting the perfect boyfriend and, eventually, husband.

For many, many women, loud and quiet, extroverted and introverted, with the shortage of decent possible partners,
this may be impossible and therefore, more depressing. ( )
  m.belljackson | Feb 1, 2019 |

quietly poignant, Debbie Tung's comics reveal the ups and downs of coming of age as an introvert. This illustrated gift book of short comics illuminates author Debbie Tung's?experience?as an introvert in an extrovert's world. Presented in a loose narrative style that can be read front to back or dipped into at one's leisure, the book spans three years of?Debbie's life, from the end of college to the present day. In these early years of adulthood, Debbie slowly but finally discovers there is a name for her lifelong need to be alone: she's an introvert. The first half of the book traces Debbie's final year in college: socializing with peers, dating, falling in love (with an extrovert!), moving in, getting married, meeting new people, and simply trying to fit in. The second half looks at her life after graduation: finding a job, learning to live with her new husband, trying to understand social obligations when it comes to the in-laws, and navigating office life. Ultimately, Quiet Girl sends a positive, pro-introvert message: our heroine?learns to embrace her introversion and finds ways to thrive in the world while fulfilling her need for quiet.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,421,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible