Gone Wild: An Endangered Animal Alphabet by…

Gone Wild: An Endangered Animal Alphabet

by David McLimans

398None26,817 (3.83)3

I like this alphabet but I have liked others more. There are some animals that will be uninteresting and unrecognizable to children. The more you can relate to them the easier it is to teach the fundamentals. I liked that there was facts and such. The pictures were cool but they could have been more engaging for an alphabet book.
  ChelseaLawler | Mar 16, 2014 |
Simple, yet abstract alphabetic representations of each animal easily lead children to discover endangered animals from very different parts of the world. I like this book because it opens up a world of new animals, introduces different habits and discusses honestly the issues surrounding each animal's endangerment.

It would be helpful for a parent/caregiver to read the information offered on each animal in the back of the book so that they are well equipped to offer up interesting facts about each animal. Kids tend to enjoy that sort of engagement. The book is aimed at older children, and I would say that is right. It is a book that would require some attention.
  ndhalsan | Mar 8, 2014 |
Eye-opening and informative, GONE WILD depicts the letters of the alphabet as endangered animals. Each letter has the animal's shape incorporated into the illustration; the author refers to this illustrative choice in an author's forward as "picture writing." The forward is a very good resource for parents and librarians to better understand the book and why the author made the choices he did. I really liked the black and white, large printed letters on each page. The use of space really makes the images stand out. The standard Roman letters are printed slightly smaller on the page so children can see how the specific letter typically looks. The author does a great ob of representing the animal in the letter illustration so children can guess which animal is being discussed on each page. Brief stats of the animal are included on each page, with an option for more information at the end of the book. I think this is great for early readers learning the alphabet and older children learning about animals and the environment.
  Megs_Scrambled | Feb 18, 2014 |
Alphabet book about different animals that are going extinct. Good book that helps kids learn about animals. Grades 1-4. ( )
  JBALE | Dec 9, 2013 |
Summary:
This book uses the letters of the alphabet to show and identify each animal from A - Z. The class, the habitat, the range, and the threats and status for each animal is explained. The great detail given for each animal is very intriguing.

Personal Reaction:
My first impression was on no not another animal book. After going through page by page I realized this was a really informational book.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Color and sort various animals
2. Alphabet rhyming time
  LenaReece | Sep 11, 2013 |
For my daughter, Hannah
Our planet is home to so many plants and animals that it is impossible to know exactly how many species are sharing the earth with us.

Feast your eyes on these amazing creatures before they disappear.  This stampede of wild animals, from Chinese Alligator to Grevy's Zebra, are so rare, they're all endangered.  David McLiman's bold and playful illustrations transform each letter into a work of art, graphically rendered with animal characteristics.  Scales, horns, even insect wings transform the alphabet into animated life.

Once you take this eye-opening safari, you'll never look at letters or animals with the same way again.  A striking work of art and a zoological adventure, Gone Wild is sure to be loved by children and adults alike.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:41 -0400)

Endangered animals are drawn into uniquely crafted letters in this bold alphabet book that provides information on the habitat and class of these rare creatures and the threats facing them.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,433,937 books! | Top bar: Always visible