Gone Wild: An Endangered Animal Alphabet by…

Gone Wild: An Endangered Animal Alphabet

by David McLimans

This creative picture book takes one on a journey to what seems like an African safari. When one reads this book, they will be captivated by the amount of detail in each letter. This book has the best of both worlds because it entails unique animals and the letters of the alphabet. This book is a great read because even you may have never heard of some of these animals. It is the most interesting thing to see how the illustrator creates the animals within the words. I would read this book to a group of pre-k to k students because I feel as though they would love the illustrations and they would enjoy the meanings. ( )
  mbabst | May 3, 2015 |
Alphabet book that contains picture of the letter and animal that is endangered or vulnerable. The book provides information about the type of animal, where it is found in nature, and why it is in trouble. In the back, there is additional information about each of the 26 animals mentioned in the book.

I love that the letters all incorporate the animal into the letter. It would be great to have a map or globe available to children so they can locate or be shown where the countries are on the planet. I really appreciate that the scientific name of the animal is included so that children connect reading to another subject matter. This would be a great book for early science class. The brief write up of each animal is so helpful, so that you don't need to pull out another resource to learn the basics. This book would be a wonderful conversation starter around the subject of caring for others, including animals, and how our individual behaviors can impact others. Would be a great transition to protecting the planet and what we can do to help. I love that learning or reinforcing the alphabet can lead to rich and meaningful conversation and learning. ( )
  zsvandyk | Apr 1, 2015 |
McLimans has taken the conventional alphabet book and spiced things up by replacing boring old "apple" with "Chinese Alligator." Each animal is then depicted as the letter they represent. This was the only issue I had with the book; a few of the animals, much like the alligator for the letter 'A', are so contorted as to be nearly unrecognizable. But there were only two or three of these where it felt like the author was really pushing it. He does, however, provide a small, stylized picture of the animal on the page alongside some relevant information.

Overall, though, a great, quick introduction to both endangered animals and the levels of endangerment. The author provides a brief introduction explaining the categories used to classify each animal, and then, at the end, goes more into detail as to why each animal is endangered along with a list of organizations that help endangered animals and further reading. Although this book is obviously intended for younger audiences, I feel like it could easily find its home on a biologist's bookshelf. ( )
  vroussel | Mar 31, 2015 |
A beautiful informational book about endangered animals and also an ABC book. Captivating images. It has clever and beautiful design, encompassing each animal into a letter shape and providing information about there endangered status. A wonderful classroom book for read aloud or as a reference for design and some scientific information. ( )
  SaritaInce | Feb 28, 2015 |
Summary:
This book is an alphabet book that corresponds each letter to an endangered animal and gives basic information of that animal such as their class, habitat and threat.

Personal Reaction:
This book was great! i really like the detail that went into creating the letters to look like the endangered animals they represented! It is a great way to introduce not only the alphabet, but also the idea of conservation especially in today's world. Children learn about the animals such as their habitats, environments, classes, as well as the greatest threat they are facing.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. We could take a field trip to the zoo.
2. We could pick out favorite animal and have them create that animal in their habitat. ( )
  JacquelynTorres | Jan 15, 2015 |
For my daughter, Hannah
Our planet is home to so many plants and animals that it is impossible to know exactly how many species are sharing the earth with us.

Feast your eyes on these amazing creatures before they disappear.  This stampede of wild animals, from Chinese Alligator to Grevy's Zebra, are so rare, they're all endangered.  David McLiman's bold and playful illustrations transform each letter into a work of art, graphically rendered with animal characteristics.  Scales, horns, even insect wings transform the alphabet into animated life.

Once you take this eye-opening safari, you'll never look at letters or animals with the same way again.  A striking work of art and a zoological adventure, Gone Wild is sure to be loved by children and adults alike.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:41 -0400)

Endangered animals are drawn into uniquely crafted letters in this bold alphabet book that provides information on the habitat and class of these rare creatures and the threats facing them.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,310,800 books! | Top bar: Always visible