Paris By the Book

by Liam Callanan

NATIONAL BESTSELLER A missing person, a grieving family, a curious clue: a half-finished manuscript set in Paris Once a week, I chase men who are not my husband. . . . When eccentric novelist Robert Eady abruptly vanishes, he leaves behind his wife, Leah, their daughters, and, hidden in an unexpected spot, plane tickets to Paris. Hoping to uncover clues--and her husband--Leah sets off for France with her girls. Upon their arrival, she discovers an unfinished manuscript, one Robert had been writing without her knowledge . . . and that he had set in Paris. The Eady girls follow the path of the manuscript to a small, floundering English-language bookstore whose weary proprietor is eager to sell. Leah finds herself accepting the offer on the spot. As the family settles into their new Parisian life, they trace the literary paths of some beloved Parisian classics, including Madeline and The Red Balloon, hoping more clues arise. But a series of startling discoveries forces Leah to consider that she may not be ready for what solving this mystery might do to her family--and the Paris she thought she knew. Charming, haunting, and triumphant, Paris by the Book follows one woman's journey as she writes her own story, exploring the power of family and the magic that hides within the pages of a book.… (more)

Robert is a dick.

At times, Callanan writes with floral beauty and stirring insight, and his vignettes of Paris are obviously inspired by a genuine affinity that drips with verisimilitude. Paris by the Book raised two significant problems for me, however, which suppressed my overall enjoyment of the read. One is that the only likable characters present in it are the four children – both Leah's daughters and the family's twin charges through the bookstore. And the second is that while the prose is competent and evocative, it also god-awfully meanders like it's lost in the back-alley warrens of Ménilmontant. The narration stumbles over itself and loses cohesion through repeated staccato asides and time-skips. The rousing mystery teased on both covers and in the story itself is hardly mysterious, but rather a demonstration of wretched family disfunction, poor relationship choices, and the inability for two creative parents to communicate and commit – to each other and to their family. It is a manifesto about adults who have children before they, themselves, have fully developed on the inside. That is perhaps the most realistic angle Callanan takes, but possibly not an intentional one.

I might enjoy further musing and consideration of the larger dream-versus-reality themes that the author lays bare in the book's closing discussion points. When it comes down to it, though, Je suis à court de temps. ( )
  funkyplaid | Jun 15, 2021 |
Mother and daughters move from US to Paris and work in a Book Store while looking for their missing husband/father. He has left clues and, as a writer, often goes off on "write-aways" but never this long. Did he end up in Paris, where she told him she always wanted to visit? ( )
  KarenSkullerud | May 8, 2021 |
Loved this book. About a family who has a book store in Paris. What's not to love. ( )
  booboo123 | Mar 19, 2021 |
Well-told but a little long winded. How well can you know someone else? Can you love them too much? How far would you go to get them back? Can you heal someone else’s pain? These are the questions Leah has to answer when her husband Robert goes missing. The search leads them to Paris and a bookstore and new friends and a new way of looking at each other. ( )
  bgknighton | Feb 17, 2021 |
This book is one of the strangest that I read it in 2018. I picked it up because of the book cover, and to read it because of the previous book I read about a bookshop in the U.K. I picked up the book because of the mystery. These books had a strange family-relationship, and the writing was weird.
I continued this book while listening to the audiobook. Thank God that the narrator was interesting. I could finish the book as well as read the French phrases without a problem.
This book was not my cup of tea, and that is the reason I gave it 2-stars. ( )
  AvigailRGRIL | Nov 5, 2020 |

Liam Callananprimary authorall editionscalculated
Inchbald, IsabellaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,089,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible