Paris By the Book by Liam Callanan

Paris By the Book

by Liam Callanan

I don't really know what to make of this book. I'm not sure what I expected going into this, but this story was certainly more intense than I thought it would be. This book is beautifully-written, captivating, and mysterious. It sucks you in, and I read it pretty much in one sitting. It's a strange story, but definitely an interesting one as well. You won't want to stop reading until the mystery is solved. If you find the description even a little bit intriguing, I would recommend checking this one out. Thanks to First to Read for the advance copy. ( )
  carlie892 | Oct 10, 2018 |
A love affair with Paris. A bookstore. Two children's classics. A family. A mystery of a disappearing husband. Paris by the Book by Liam Callanan sounds perfect for me. Unfortunately, upon reading, the book feels like a missed opportunity and leaves me wanting more. I find myself rereading the two children's classics - two books with very different depictions and interpretations of the city of Paris – that form the theme in this book.

Read my complete review at http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2018/09/paris-by-book.html

Reviewed for NetGalley ( )
  njmom3 | Sep 26, 2018 |
A woman's husband disappears and clues to the mystery lead her and her daughters to Paris where they end up staying and try to adjust living without him. They move in above a bookstore that they buy and run. Clues of the husband's disappearance begin to appear at the store and around Paris.
Paris had never appealed to me that much, but I've changed my opinion since reading this book. Paris is not just the setting of the book, it's another character, arguably the main character. A mysterious, intriguing, authentic character. One I would actually like to meet someday. I loved this book, the writing and the story, complete with its own easter eggs hidden within. It's one I will read again. ( )
  shan.blackman | Aug 21, 2018 |
Leah met Robert when he saw her shoplifting “The Red Balloon”, chased her down, only to reveal he not only paid for the book she stole, he also bought her another, “Madeline” by Ludwig Bemelmans. So begins the great romance that led them from Paris, Wisconsin, to Paris, France, though not together. She dreamed of Paris, but they didn’t have the money so he took her to Paris, WI, and proposed, promising someday. But marriage and children and work and his faltering career as a writer kept postponing someday.

Leah was all for Albert Lamorisse and “The Red Balloon” but then she wanted to be a filmmaker and Robert was all in for Bemelmans, but both of them were fascinated by Paris. They raised their two daughters to love both stories and they were a mostly happy family. Sometimes Robert would take off for a writeaway–a break to get some serious writing done by holing up somewhere without distraction. But then he leaves without a note promising his return and does not come back in a few days or even in a week, or ever.

Leah discovers he bought tickets to Paris for the whole family, including himself, so they go. She can’t help hoping he will be there at the airport but no luck. While they are there, they learn he entered a story into a contest and won a small prize. They print out the story outline and it sounds like it’s about them, a family moving to Paris to open a bookstore, so they follow the story, find a bookstore, and try to fulfill the story. Unspoken but always in their minds, the hope that he will find them persists.

I love stories set in Paris and I adore stories with bookstores, so Paris by the Book didn’t just speak to me, it stood up, jumped up and down, waved its arms, and yelled at me from across the room, “This book is for you!” Then I read it. So much of it did speak to me. I love the writing about the books, the city, the bookstore and geographical shelving. I really loved the geographical shelving and it’s worth reading just for that alone.

On the other hand, Leah and Robert were a problem. I am completely unable to understand Robert at all. I know it “takes all kinds” but he seems unnatural. I also think Leah was so very wrong not to talk it out with her children when she had information one way or another, or even to discuss her doubts and fears. They were teens, old enough to deserve an open conversation about what is true, false, and real about their father’s disappearance or death. Here’s the thing, you just know someday, perhaps in five years, or ten, or twenty, they will learn the truth and lose faith in their mother, their only remaining parent.

I received an e-galley of Paris by the Book from the publisher through NetGalley.

Paris by the Book at Penguin Group Dutton | Penguin Random House
Liam Callanan

https://tonstantweaderreviews.wordpress.com/2018/08/18/9781101986271/ ( )
  Tonstant.Weader | Aug 18, 2018 |
Y’all. I’m done with books where a dude’s artistic genius is misunderstood.

Within the first few pages you learn that this is a novel about an author who vanishes under mysterious circumstances, leaving his wife and two children uncertain of whether he is dead or alive. They move from Milwaukee to Paris and take up residence in a bookshop that they painted cherry red and all try to cope. I both found this novel to be a page turner because you want to find out what happens, and found it emotionally to be a slog. ( )
  sarahbest | Jul 17, 2018 |

When eccentric novelist Robert Eady abruptly vanishes, he leaves behind his wife, Leah, their daughters, and, hidden in an unexpected spot, plane tickets to Paris.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,215,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible